The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 21, 2006, 12:09 AM   #26
shllyshny

Apparantly, the best state for you...

...is a divorced state. In all seriousness, Alaska is the best gun state. Texas ain't bad either, but it's... well... it's Texas. Anyway, plenty of single, GUN LOVING women available in either state.

Seriously, leave your liberal, gun hating wife while you can. It's pretty obvious she hates you or she wouldn't be nagging you to move to Kalifornia.

Shllyshny aka InfantryNCO
Old June 21, 2006, 05:21 AM   #27
BLKLABMAN

Hello. I'm new to this forum, thank you for having me.

I'm an avid recreational shooter living in Tennessee. I go to the range at least three times a week and currently have a concealed carry permit pending. My wife wants to move to California, and I wanted to know if anyone knew any of the specifics about gun laws, as well as the general attitude about guns in the SoCal area. I'm aware that California has a very gun-grabby reputation, but I've also heard the laws are far more gun-friendly than in New York.
howard bleach is offline Report Bad Post

Besides Tennessee,the most gun friendly, Hunting friendly states I have lived in or hunt in, are.... Montana, Idaho, Alaska, North and South Dakota.

Frankly. I 'm thinking about moving to one of those states myself . It is getting overcrowed here, and in North Georgia. What used to be a beautiful lake my property sits on, now has houses everywhere and so many boats it looks a a 5pm Atlanta traffic jam.
Yankees and Florida transplants are moving in by the droves.
Old June 21, 2006, 10:50 AM   #28
Harley Quinn

Shlly

You silly boy.

HQ
Old June 21, 2006, 02:19 PM   #29
VincentB

How about some good news? I did just the opposite. Two years ago I moved from SoCal to TN to be with the lady that was to become my wife. We were close friends in High School 35 years ago and it is the second time around for both of us.

The first thing I found out about TN was that it is very "Gun friendly" the 2nd thing was that the ONLY place to shoot them was on ranges and the closest one is 35 miles away!! Unless you own alot of property TN is a gun range only state and I LOVE to plink. Now I can't.

I just got back from a 3 week stay in the Mojave Desert including a week camping in the desert. In CA you can go to the desert or the mountains and there are THOUSANDS of square miles of public land. Camp where you want. shoot where you want. Off road to your hearts desire. Can't do those things in gun friendly TN OKAY, you do have topass a very easy test to get a handgun permit that is good for 5 years. Concealed carry is up to the top LEO in your county. If you live in L.A. County or many others forget it, not going to happen. If you live in some Northern Cal or inland you might get one. You have to wait ten days for each gun purchase. You have to lock up your guns when you have them in a car. To be VERY HONEST it is NOT that bad. NY, NJ, Mass. and several other states are much worse. Oh yeah, if you have a 50BMG you'll need to leave it in TN. That is about it for the bad news as to guns. Owning the land you described is next to impossible unless you live in the desert or Central Valley. Personally the Mojave Desert and the Sierra Nevada Mountains are among my favorite places on Earth. The Northern Coast is among the prettiest. It is NOT all bad. It is stupidly expensive to own a house. Buying a house in LA means close to $500,000 if it is in a place you want to live.
Old June 21, 2006, 02:47 PM   #30
choochboost

For the record, compared to other counties in SoCal, it is considerably easier to get a CCW permit in Orange County.
Old June 21, 2006, 02:53 PM   #31
The Guy

For gun enthusiats, I'd never relocate to the PRK, any N.E. state but Maine or VERMONT . But then what do I know, I still live in the PRI, the only state to be ruled by a MONARCHY named KING DAILEY II! AUGH!
Stupid is stupid does I guess, but I WILL move some day to Wyoming, Texas or a similar state that still at least acts like the Constiution isn't so much toilet paper. If she wants to go so badly, comprimise with her and stop just shy of PRK in a WESTEREN border state! Best wishes on your impending relocation, and sorry for your situation.
Old June 21, 2006, 05:18 PM   #32
Blammer

I'm STUCK in California!

DON'T Come! The population is NUTS! The average suburban Californian is as self-absorbed as a BLACK HOLE! The only people in the Urban Blighted Zones who make any kind of sense are the ASIANS! = Strong work ethic, strong on family, armed to the teeth, speak ENGLISH (even as a second language , and have enough of an economic base to support their cultutal lifestyle without trying to take over everyone elses'
Ilike the Sikhs too, for the same reasons.
Old June 21, 2006, 05:28 PM   #33
Edward429451

Colorado

is a pretty durn gun friendly state, Denver notwithstanding of course.

Colorado Springs just about has it all. Nice selection of gunshops, a few outdoor ranges (some free, some not), a few good gunsmiths, and most people are downright friendly here. The economy is pretty much boomig so it shouldn't be hard to get work. The best hunting you could ask for, the fishing is great, trout are everywhere. Gambling in Cripple creek & Blackhawk. Camping, all sorts of stuff to do with the fam or GF/Wife.

I've had a few ups & downs with local law enforcement, but generally speaking their very professional & nice. I like this place and have no plans of ever leaving.
Old June 21, 2006, 07:43 PM   #34
CrustyFN

I grew up in the bay area, moved out about 10 years ago. My brother lives north of SF near Santa Rosa. Still quiet up there and you can still find a decent house at a fair price. Good luck
Old June 21, 2006, 08:45 PM   #35
Arizona Fusilier

Guns aside, you and your wife better do some serious number crunching fast. I presume that this is a promotion or something for her? I tell you what, if both of you together aren't going to make at least twice as much as you are now, you are absolutley losing it on the cost of living side of things.

I live in Arizona (duh), and from a purely economic standpoint, twice my current income would be the opening bid just to break even, and I'd probably have to live in a house half the size. Throw in the fact that half of everything I own is illegal or illegal to use, and you can keep Kalifornia.

Serious dude, crunch the numbers before you both do something you'll regret later.
Old June 21, 2006, 08:52 PM   #36
Harley Quinn

He's hiding

Can't handle the information and has gone hunting.

HQ
Old June 22, 2006, 05:35 AM   #37
WESHOOT2

copycat

Alaska copied Vermont, the most gun-friendly state (of mind).

And you can pass over a double-yellow.......

Leave yer money and leave; on our license plates.
Old June 22, 2006, 08:50 AM   #38
johnsonrlp

Kern, Tulare, and Kings counties are pretty gun friendly (compared to most of the state). They're the red counties in the blue state. I grew up around Bakersfield and Visalia and the weather and cost of living aren't to bad. Still, I don't think I'll be moving back anytime soon.
Old June 22, 2006, 09:42 AM   #39
Harley Quinn

Weshoot2

Passing over a double yellow would help California depopulate. We are now having a rash of deaths in traffic accidents along with a wave of gun violence that has the Newspapers working OT.

Gun Friendly is not one of the reasons for living in CA. It is the world's 5th largest producer of money. It is green and silver, some times golden in color. Very good for the nation and for the well being of the country.
We have it all, over population, more shootings and death than Iraq yearly, due to like I said traffic accidents and shootings. More illegals more freeways, more smog and even have quite a few entertainment centers, so the gang members can meet and intemidate the rest of the people.

California is probably the reason we can sustain this war that is going on.

HQ
Old June 22, 2006, 11:11 AM   #40
STW

I probably have as widespread an idea of California as anyone, having lived there 34 years and having lived in (North) Butte County, Solano County, (South) San Bernardino County, LA County, San Diego County; married in Alameda county. The inland areas are generally more conservative and gun friendly than the coastal areas. The two largest cities, LA and SF are wacky but there are pockets around each that are just fine.

No one can speak about THE climate. It is so varied that generalities are useless. The highest and lowest spots in the continental US are there and only 136 miles apart. If you can afford it the SoCal coast does have some of the best climate in the world.

Housing costs are obscene. I sold half a 1360 sf duplex 3 miles from the coast north of San Diego for over $500K. Some one bought it partly as an investment. They will probably make money on the deal. I could never afford to go back. Two miles closer to the water likely would have added another $1-200K to that price.

The smog is much better than it used to be but still worse than most other places.
The crowding is incredible but the selection of businesses serving those crowds can spoil you for shopping in much of the country.

Traffic depends on where you have to drive. My last commutes were 5-6 miles each way. 10-15 minutes. Traffic not an issue. However, what was a 35 minutes commute into San Diego is now 75 minutes. Many folks drive 2 hours each way just so they can buy a house. You have to decide if living in a car so you can own a house fits your lifestyle.

I know people (Anglos) who have just given up and started ordering fast food in Spanish. Their orders are more likely to be correct and service is faster.

Taxes = high
Government = demented

In short California has more of everything you want and more of everything you don't want.

Full disclosure. I have lived in Montana, Nevada, California, Pennsylvania, and, Illinois. I have been in and out of California 3 times. I'm a Montana native and back in Montana again.
Old June 22, 2006, 01:44 PM   #41
Rickstir

California? Do you speak Spanish? Tell your wife Southwest airlines and others have cheap fair promotions all the time.

I can only take CA in very small doses. I am going there for five days in July, that is enough. One of the few places I travel to that my firearms stay behind.
Old June 22, 2006, 02:05 PM   #42
VirgilCaine

Montana looks good...gets cold in the winter tho'

http://www.bradycampaign.org/legisla...tate.php?st=mt
Old June 22, 2006, 03:43 PM   #43
Harley Quinn

VirgilCaine

I am of the opinion, where you are at gets cold in the winter.

I like your signature, it is right on target.

HQ
Old June 22, 2006, 04:04 PM   #44
FirstFreedom

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, why did you put Utah in the fourth tier?
That's a good question - there's some reason I had a negative in the UT column in my mind - it may be a mistake - they may belong in the 3rd tier. Maybe it was all the silly lawsuits awhile back to try and keep CCWers off of college campuses - win or lose, it showed the hyperness of the anti-gunners there. I'll have to reevalute, though... Seems like there's a lot of anti-gun stuff being spouted in the SLC newspapers, though, IIRC.
Old June 22, 2006, 05:03 PM   #45
Stiofan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stw
I probably have as widespread an idea of California as anyone, having lived there 34 years and having lived in (North) Butte County, Solano County, (South) San Bernardino County, LA County, San Diego County; married in Alameda county. The inland areas are generally more conservative and gun friendly than the coastal areas. The two largest cities, LA and SF are wacky but there are pockets around each that are just fine.

No one can speak about THE climate. It is so varied that generalities are useless. The highest and lowest spots in the continental US are there and only 136 miles apart. If you can afford it the SoCal coast does have some of the best climate in the world.

Housing costs are obscene. I sold half a 1360 sf duplex 3 miles from the coast north of San Diego for over $500K. Some one bought it partly as an investment. They will probably make money on the deal. I could never afford to go back. Two miles closer to the water likely would have added another $1-200K to that price.

The smog is much better than it used to be but still worse than most other places.
The crowding is incredible but the selection of businesses serving those crowds can spoil you for shopping in much of the country.

Traffic depends on where you have to drive. My last commutes were 5-6 miles each way. 10-15 minutes. Traffic not an issue. However, what was a 35 minutes commute into San Diego is now 75 minutes. Many folks drive 2 hours each way just so they can buy a house. You have to decide if living in a car so you can own a house fits your lifestyle.

I know people (Anglos) who have just given up and started ordering fast food in Spanish. Their orders are more likely to be correct and service is faster.

Taxes = high
Government = demented

In short California has more of everything you want and more of everything you don't want.

Full disclosure. I have lived in Montana, Nevada, California, Pennsylvania, and, Illinois. I have been in and out of California 3 times. I'm a Montana native and back in Montana again.
I've lived in California nearly 50 years and still do. It wasn't always like this, but I have to say from my point of view, your post is probably the most dead on correct. It's getting very crowded here, but thats because eveyone wants to live here (except the natives it seems, with good reason). Gun laws are restrictive, but I can buy any gun I care to own, still hunt and fish when I want and play golf on New Years day. I live 3 miles from the beach and two weeks ago I spent 5 days at 9,000-10,000 feet in the Sierras camping. So you have to take the good with the bad.

I've got enough guns and they haven't come to take them yet so that doesn't bother me. The biggest problem is the housing here and influx of illegals helpng to drive it up. In my county the average tract house is going for about $850,000 or more. That's just freakin' ridiculous.
Old June 22, 2006, 05:40 PM   #46
WESHOOT2

I lived in California

Then I moved.
Old June 22, 2006, 05:47 PM   #47
roy reali

Then Why?

California does have its positive points as well as its negative points. I do feel that all the negatives are over shadowing the positives. In fact, California is the only western state that has more folks moving out then moving in.

A lot of the debate here has been over gun laws. After all, that is this forum's main subject. I saw a list of all the taxes that California levies that folks in Nevada don't worry about. It is eye opening. If the state leaves people more money in their wallets, doesn't it stand to reason that you could do more stuff. That includes the shooting sports.

Right now Nevada seems to be getting the brunt of Ex-Californians. They say that Nevada's population will soon pass Oregon's.

As far as illegals aliens go, California pails in comparison to Arizona. My son moved there a year ago. Several months ago I went to visit him in Phoenix. In many parts of that city, English is a second language.

Fortunately, it seems like Arnold is going to be reelected. At least things won't get worse for a few more years.
Old June 22, 2006, 10:59 PM   #48
Earnest T. Bass

If you can stomach wading thru the chest deep leftist sewage they spew, go to the Brady Campaign's website at http://www.stategunlaws.org/

According to the Brady Campaign, 32 states are rated "D" or "F" by them on gun laws (that would mean "B" or "A" to you and me). Any state rated by them as "D" or "F" would be fine, with "F" states getting preference.

I did a quick check and saw that KY, MT, WY, ID, AK and are "F" rated with IN, TN, VT, CO, UT, AZ and OH being "D" rated. There are plenty of "free" states to choose from!

If my wife wanted to move to CA, NY, IL, MA, NJ, D-of-C, or any other of the states controlled by antgun zealots and were adamant about it, I would inform her that I wish her the best, as she will be moving there by herself.

Some people just don't get it - it's not about a hobby; it's a freedom thing.

Last edited by Earnest T. Bass; June 24, 2006 at 12:20 AM.
Old June 22, 2006, 11:17 PM   #49
kimby45

I live in Idaho and have a lot of family in SoCal. My wife and I were thinking of moving and she wanted to go down there. I refused to go down there beacasue of their gun laws, and laws in general.

If you can help it, do not go there. If you cant help it, make sure that you are a voice for reasonable laws.
Old June 22, 2006, 11:43 PM   #50
MeekAndMild

Quote:
Starting cost (depending on where and what) is 350 to 450 thousand. That’s new if you can find one close to where you will be living. Established houses will cost minimum 500-600 thousand. If you pick one of the more “inexpensive” houses expect to sit in traffic and have a 1.5+ hour commute to and from work. Apartments are in the high 900-dollar range for a sing bedroom.
What is a starter home in Tennessee? Maybe $55,000 for an older home and $110,000 for a new starter home? For a half million you could get a pretty big house in a gated subdivision or a decent sized farm. For $900 you could probably have a huge studio apartment with big windows and plenty of room for that fifteen foot sculpture you've been wanting to finish. Omega Blood is right about this one. Kali is too expensive to have a decent lifestyle regardless of gun rights.

shllyshny, you need to buy a couple of vowels, but I agree a guy would be better off living in the divorced state than being exiled to Kali. From what I've seen of Tennessee women he could probably find one pretty easily whose daddy has a private shooting range in the backyard.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.

Last edited by MeekAndMild; June 23, 2006 at 08:36 AM.