The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 11, 2007, 02:00 AM   #1
Railslider

New here

Hey everyone, great site! Just turned legal age to purchase a pistol a couple months ago, funds have finally allowed me to actually go out and buy one. I've decided on 9mm mainly for the cheapness of the ammunition, I plan to do a lot of range shooting and don't really have anywhere to do any reloading (no garage or shop). Decided on a Smith & Wesson M&P, held the compact version, felt pretty good, but the full size version doesn't seem too much bigger. I plan to file for a CPL here in WA state so I can CCW, anyone conceal carry a fullsize M&P? I'm 5'7" and bigger build, I don't think it'll be that big of a deal, WA state is surprisingly an open carry state so printing is not an issue. I know I can conceal the compact pretty easy, but thought maybe I'd like the fullsize. The last gun shop I visited did not have a fullsize model for me to hold, I'm headed out tomorrow to a couple different shops to see how the fullsize stacks up, maybe get something on order. This will be my first pistol but not my first gun, had rifles and shotguns since the age of 10 or 11, no stranger to safe gun practices. Hope I can learn and contribute a little here, there seems to be a large wealth of knowledge on this forum.
Old December 11, 2007, 02:05 AM   #2
Boris Bush

good to have ya. I also live in WA, Tacoma area. anyway I carry all the time. I carried a fullsize Sig for a bit but I bought a CZ-75 compact 9mm and the small difference makes it so much easier to carry.

If you are in the Tacoma area try Mary's pistols. Great prices and excelent service!!
Old December 11, 2007, 02:09 AM   #3
Railslider

Thanks for the welcome. I'm in the Lynnwood area currently, originally from the eastside of the state. I was surprised to find out a few days ago that WA is an open carry state, the guy at my local shop told me and I checked up on it on the web. I never would have guessed, although I don't think I have balls enough to walk around with a gun in plain sight, there's too many raging activists here looking to start a fight with anyone.
Old December 11, 2007, 02:27 AM   #4
sholling

Unless there is a reason to go full size I'd suggest the compact M&P for carry. I have one (picked it up yesterday) and a full size M&P45. The compact is going to conceal a lot easier and will be a lot more comfortable in an IWB holster. The 12rds should be plenty and rumor has it it will accept the full sized mags but I haven't tried it. The accuracy is about the same. Don't forget your rebate coupon either!

By the way there is a ton of goodies out for these and pistol smiths tuning the heck out of them. Take a look at this holster while you're shopping. I think you picked the next big thing in pistols.

Old December 11, 2007, 02:43 AM   #5
Railslider

I figured I might get that response as far as going full size goes. I've done a TON of research the last couple months. I've read a lot of reviews and finally went into a gun shop with a somewhat unbiased approach, armed with a basic consensus of the reviews I had read about the guns I looked at. The M&P definately looked great, fit my hands perfectly, and was fairly light weight. I should probably just bite the bullet and order the M&P 9C tomorrow and get it over with.
Old December 11, 2007, 10:27 PM   #6
mitchcoyote

Be careful when you get it home, and don't shoot your a/c window unit like I did. Killed it too......
Old December 11, 2007, 11:53 PM   #7
Chesster

Welcome to the site and the world of guns and nuts.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old December 12, 2007, 12:03 AM   #8
Sgt.Fathead

Renting

Railsider, have you tried finding a good rental range with a variety of semi-autos to try? I always suggest this to newer shooters or anyone looking to find a certain model to try. Renting allows you to 'test drive' before you sink some hard earned dollars into a firearm you may have a problem with in terms of fit and feel.

Good Luck, Good Shooting, Welcome Aboard!

p.s. Ruger, Ruger, Ruger.......

p.p.s. Revolvers, revolvers, revolvers.....
Old December 12, 2007, 06:47 AM   #9
Ilovea45

Welcome to the forum from Florida.

Firearms Safety...It's just not that difficult people!