The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 30, 2008, 10:21 PM   #1
scoutleader

There will be no sleep tonight.

I got home early from work today to find about 10 marked and unmarked police cars on my street. We have a serial rapist on the run in our town, his latest crime was about 2 blocks from my house. They chased him around the area and lost him, this was at 2 pm today. I just got back from checking everything outside and saw two unmarked cars go down the street in about a 7 minute span. The creep has raped 9 woman and young girls in 11 days, man I hate this city. The only reports of this that have made the news is tonight and Wednesday night when he raped a lady at 3 in the afternoon, he picks apartment unit and knocks on doors. I guess I will be installing the peep hole in the door tomorrow morning. Thanks for the rant.
Danny
Old May 30, 2008, 10:51 PM   #2
jdc48160

Holy **** dude!

When I see cop cars in my neighborhood, I tend to go into a higher alert mode. Throw a mag in my pistol and 5 shells in my shotgun. This has only happened once where I currently live when I saw one cop car blocking the entrance to the subdivision and another couple patrolling the sub. We have a sub with one way in, one way out, so it was blocked, a car couldn't get in or out.

Never found out what was going on, but it got my attention real quick.
Old May 30, 2008, 10:57 PM   #3
chris in va

Memphis, right? I watch 'The First 48' quite a bit and the city is featured on there a lot.

Get one of those door braces if you can. Too easy to just kick in a door, lock or not.
Old May 30, 2008, 11:43 PM   #4
Slopemeno

God, I was just going to ask the same question.
Old May 31, 2008, 12:16 AM   #5
HKFan9

I hope a scumbag like that gets what he deserves, one way or another. Stay safe!
Old May 31, 2008, 12:57 AM   #6
Bill DeShivs

Of course it's Memphis! there aren't many other places this stuff happens. And I haven't even watched the news.
BTW- the city council decided that Memphis PD could no longer cooperate with "First 48" because it makes the city look bad, not that they give a damn about doing something about crime here.
Old May 31, 2008, 01:16 AM   #7
chris in va

Oh that's funny. I was wondering if that was an issue.
Old May 31, 2008, 01:34 AM   #8
skeeter1

It can (does) happen everywhere

I remember sitting here once and looking out the window and seeing the police with guns drawn searching around the house behind mine. I locked the doors and stuck the .38 snubby in my pocket. Turned out to be a false alarm.

On another occasion, at my parent's house, there were SWAT officers going through the back yard with rifles looking for someone. They caught him hiding under a garage. Same deal, though -- lock the doors and dropped the .22Mag derringer in my pocket.

And these are in fairly up-scale suburbs. When I lived in downtown Cleveland, gunshots were a nightly occurance. My roommate and I kept a loaded handgun in the dresser drawer.
Old May 31, 2008, 02:33 AM   #9
denfoote

We just finished catching a bunch of those creeps here in Arizona.

One was a goof who was raping 12 and 13 year old girls in their own bedrooms!!!
He hit the upscale liberal suburbs where he was fairly sure there would be no guns in the house, chose a girl whose parents left for work before she went to school, then struck!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old May 31, 2008, 02:51 AM   #10
BillCA

Scoutleader,

If you can, get one of the peepholes that has a cover flap on the inside of the unit. This way, you can be in position before opening it and the subject outside will not see the light "dim" in the outside lens and know when to kick the door into your face.

In addition, if you haven't done so already, replace all the screws holding the hinges, striker plate, deadbolt and chain-locks with longer screws. The longer screws take more effort to pull out or defeat.

With summer coming, secure your windows and sliding doors too. First Alert sells small battery operated alarm units for windows & doors. These will let you know that someone has opened or moved a sliding window or door. For sliding and sash windows, install a piece of aluminum "U" channel in the track to prevent the window from being opened more than you want. You can cut it "short" and add short sections to adjust the window's opening. Combined with the alarm units, this allows open windows on summer nights with some security.

For louvered windows (such as in some bathrooms) be sure the glass panes cannot be easily removed. Seal them in place with a few spots of silicone sealant.

Below ground level windows, plant thorny bushes like Roses or pyracantha to discourage access. If that's not an option, use crushed rock or "lava" rock in 18" wide beds under the windows to add a loud crunching sound. Motion sensor lights on concealed sides or back of the house also deter nighttime sneaks.

Sometimes just a simple sign will work without all the added expense...

Old May 31, 2008, 03:05 AM   #11
sholling

I hope things work out well for you and your family. Almost all the family I have left are in Memphis and Dyer County. I hope they catch that creep soon.
Old May 31, 2008, 04:39 AM   #12
NGIB

The truth is this happens everywhere now days. While I'm not one of the paranoid types that carries while in my pajamas, I have a loaded .45 nearby at all times. No offense to folks in LE, but I don't rely on them to protect me & mine - that's my job...

I'm old, grumpy, and jaded - still vertical though...
Old May 31, 2008, 05:31 AM   #13
blume357

BILLCA, sorry, but for me making my home a fortress just

does not seem the right solution.

Years ago, when I was young I lived with some other guys and our arguement at night was if it was better to lock all the doors and windows or just leave them all open... with the second senerio the point was that regardless of what happened..... fire, storm, explosion (that was very possible), serial gay rapist / murderer... at least some of us would make it out... (kind of like the punch line to the joke: "No, I don't think I can out run that Grizzly, but I may be able to our run you.")

As for your Doberman sign.... I prefer this one:

Old May 31, 2008, 10:37 AM   #14
WESHOOT2

I am not paranoid; I am prepared

As I sit here in my bathrobe (not "paranoid"; "lazy") typing this there is a gun in my robe pocket.
There is one on the bench three steps away.
One (wife's) hangs in its fanny pack in the closet; one in its fanny pack next to the bed; a safe full in the shop.

Loaded.

Only takes once to learn; paranoid response?

I am an Eagle Scout; I took the motto to heart (no, not right away, or even soon enough, but one can learn and change behavior accordingly, and frankly, some sacrifice was made to raise our daughters someplace literally 'more safe').
Old May 31, 2008, 10:42 AM   #15
ActivShootr

Welcome to Willietown.:barf:

Hey sholling, I'm in Dyer Co. Look me up if you ever pass through and we'll do some shooting.
Old May 31, 2008, 11:30 AM   #16
arizona98tj

Quote:
Sometimes just a simple sign will work without all the added expense...

The heck with the sign......keeping the real thing works better for me.

2.8 seconds / 2 = 1.4 seconds (per dog)

Old May 31, 2008, 01:49 PM   #17
Zombie Steve

Keep your powder dry, scoutleader... good luck, and I hope they catch this [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color].
Old May 31, 2008, 02:37 PM   #18
Moe Howard

This is the very reason I pack at all times, even when at home, and if I am not home the wife is packing. I have never been a sit around the house in my drawers kind of guy. My granddad instilled in me if I am awake I am dressed, never get too comfortable. While in the shower my gun sits on the counter next to the tub, and when asleep my 1911 is holster mounted on the head board. And I live in a good neighborhood.
Old May 31, 2008, 02:49 PM   #19
B.N.Real

Don't blame the city.

Blame the criminal.

Hope the next thing he has sex with is a bullet.
Old May 31, 2008, 04:17 PM   #20
Bill DeShivs

The city fosters crime. They are all talk, and no action.
Old May 31, 2008, 04:43 PM   #21
scoutleader

Yes this is Memphis, and thanks everyone, it went well last night. I got about 2 hours of sleep off and on all night. I have a peep hole and also 4 web cameras on the outside of the house. I am a Network Admin so I can get computer geeky when it helps. The camera setup is great I have it setup to record when there is movement, it also sends a text message to my cell if I want. That is what I did last night since I helped with the neighborhood watch. We are making the news across TN with this story, I hope someone other than the cops catch this puke. Jail is to good for what he has done, I have told the wife and daughter to drive around in the SUV when we get home and let me clear the house before they enter. Just trying to keep them safe at a time like this, gone to go spend some more time looking for a job somewhere else.
Thanks Everyone.
Danny
Old May 31, 2008, 05:43 PM   #22
Mal H
Staff

Sorry, but this isn't firearms related and isn't handgun related in particular.

Closed.
Closed Thread