The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 27, 2008, 06:41 AM   #26
gilfo

Real men wear fanny packs.

No they don't!!!
Old May 27, 2008, 09:00 AM   #27
Crimp

I mentioned this in another thread, but this thread is prime for the info!
Tommy's Gun Packs, regularly $59.99, are on sale for $19.99!

I don't mind if some thug underestimates me by thinking I'm some kind of dork for wearing a fannypack. His loss.

Quote:
Riding my motorcycle to the gym...
--PBP
PBP - What do you ride?
'06 C90 Boulevard here

West Virginians: Consider joining the West Virginia Citizens Defense League.
Old May 27, 2008, 09:30 AM   #28
Playboypenguin

That is a good price.

I ride an '08 Kawasaki Versys
Old May 27, 2008, 09:45 AM   #29
dawgfvr

You may as well be wearing a GLOCK T shirt. Comfortable? Yes. Does it just scream handgun? Yes. Many just do not care if others know they are carrying. I do. Any policeman, any con man, all who CCW will know immediately that you are carrying.

I may have a box full of holsters...but that carrying method will certainly not grace my particular box.
Old May 27, 2008, 10:40 AM   #30
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Does it just scream handgun? Yes.
I always laugh when people say this. I would be willing to say that maybe one out of every thousand fanny packs in this country contain a handgun...if that many. A good quarter of the people at the gym carry them and they even sell them at the front counter. I doubt many, if any of them, have guns in their packs.

Last edited by Playboypenguin; May 27, 2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old May 27, 2008, 11:04 AM   #31
wyocarp

I don't have a problem with something screeming gun. But I'm not sure I'm man enough to wear a fanny pack. I also wear a belt with shorts if they have belt loops.
Old May 27, 2008, 11:42 AM   #32
Moe Howard

Quote:

Only to others who carry,,,Maybe. The general public is completely oblivious to what others have going on.
Old May 27, 2008, 12:35 PM   #33
dairycreek

The idea that wearing a fanny pack "screams gun" is about as silly a myth can get. I live in a suburb of Portland, Oregon where Intel has a large facility. That means we have an inordinately high number of "nerds" and a lot of the "nerds" wear fanny packs as well carry lap top computer bags. Further, since we live near Portland there are a great many bicycle riders who also are often found wearing fanny packs. I am what is euphemistically referred to as a "senior citizen" and many of my clan group also wear fanny packs.

My wife and I often frequent a small restaurant which caters to "nerds", "bikers", and "senior citizens". On any given Saturday morning this place will have over half of its customers wearing a fanny pack and/or carrying a computer bag.

Now, according to the "screams gun group" this restaurant is an armed fortress of bike riding, nerd looking, senior citizen gun toters. Sure!:barf:

GOOD SHOOTING
Old May 27, 2008, 01:30 PM   #34
tplumeri

Quote:
I often frequent a small restaurant which caters to "nerds", "bikers", and "senior citizens".
I'd find a different resturaunt.
Old May 27, 2008, 01:47 PM   #35
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Yeah, right. I've worn fanny packs while traveling for over 20 years. I've only in the last few years adapted them to handguns. They always contain my wallet, which I prefer to have in front of me rather than in a back pocket as is my normal, and sometimes a camera. Anything that I prefer to be approached face to face for, rather than simply lifted from behind. I didn't know that it had been screaming handgun all those years.
Old May 27, 2008, 01:53 PM   #36
Jacobie

The only people that I see with them at the gym are the juiceheads, I guess it's hard to keep the syringes from falling out of workout shorts pockets.

For CCW though they arn't all bad looking, a buddy at work uses one that his "life partner" got him for CCW. It doesnt look that bad, but........ yea everyone is secretly laughing at people wearing them.
Old May 27, 2008, 02:14 PM   #37
oneounceload

I use one from Anderson Enterprises - being blue, it's not as obvious - has the tear open strap on either side so a LH like me can use it - will hold my G26 and a spare mag in holders in place, with 2 extra pockets in front for other stuff....work's great, was about $15 when I bought some years ago at a gun show.....
Old May 27, 2008, 02:17 PM   #38
dawgfvr

Quote:
A good quarter of the people at the gym carry them and they even sell them at the front counter.
Strange...very strange gym if you ask me. Sounds like one of those YMCA variety...eh? I, personally, have never seen anybody wear those 'cept very old people...and unwary guys packing pistols.

Quote:
I would be willing to say that maybe one out of every thousand fanny packs in this country contain a handgun
You would be willing to say? Pure supposition on your part...and I opine that you are very, very wrong. In Washington State...almost everybody I know thinks man purses are devices to carry weapons. I can guarantee you that bad guys know it. Police know it...and most certainly the people with carry conceal permits know it.
Old May 27, 2008, 02:28 PM   #39
Recon7

I think you pulled it off well.
You didn't go tactical (a friend of mine has one with a giant BLACKHAWK! logo on it) that screams gun. And you didn't go touristy which screams "steal my cash and fancy camera" I like the use of the cover garment over the pack. It looks better than tucking your shirt in.
Old May 27, 2008, 02:43 PM   #40
tplumeri

Quote:
Sounds like one of those YMCA variety...eh?
I thinks its definately related to WHERE you are (regional attitudes) and WHO you are.
Im trying to be as politically correct as possible, but,
if youre wearing a fanny pack in NYC (born and raised there) youre likely to be a target for robberies or hate crimes (a bunch of thugs "keeping the world safe" from anyone different)
If youre out here in the rural midwest and your wearing one as you push your walker, youre ok. anyone else will get a look of disdain, at the very least. But no one will think youre packing. (not responsible for redneck reactions)
out on the west coast, well, i see fanny packs on every age, size and gender every time im in southern california. doubt very much that the majority are packing.
I'm not comfortable wearing them. but more power to you if you are.
tom
Old May 27, 2008, 02:55 PM   #41
Magnum Wheel Man

hmmm... I can think of 4 people who regularly carry fanny packs & 0 of 4 of them ever puts a handgun in one...

when hiking / hunting, or going into the wild enough that I could need my emergency survival gear, my handgun has been traditionally carried in the fanny pack...
Old May 27, 2008, 02:59 PM   #42
Playboypenguin

I have lived in West Virginia, Ohio, Arizona, New York, New Jersey, Alabama, Oregon, Washington, and Colorado.

In each and every one of these places, if you were the least bit involved in social circles that included active and athletic people that enjoyed the outdoors (hiking, biking, running, camping, skiing, climbing, etc.) you see tons of fanny packs. They are just a way of life.

They almost never have guns in them either.
Old May 27, 2008, 03:08 PM   #43
Jacobie

As long as your comfortable wearing it there is no reason to justify it to anyone. Personally I wear kahki shorts with a good belt,and carry IWB.
Old May 27, 2008, 03:14 PM   #44
pesta2

Quote:
I have lived in West Virginia... if you were the least bit involved in.. (hiking, biking, running, camping, skiing, climbing, etc.) you see tons of fanny packs.
Come one, where else are you going to carry your beer when hiking?

Well it is WV, take out the running, biking, and climbing parts and replace with Trout fishing, Bass Fishing, a Channel Cat Fishing in there.
Old May 27, 2008, 03:18 PM   #45
Moe Howard

Quote:
As long as your comfortable wearing it there is no reason to justify t to anyone.

Bingo.. Do what works for you, you don't need my, or anyone else's permission. I don't like the fanny pack carry but I am not above doing it when the conditions call for it. I just don't like wearing fanny packs but it never crosses my mind to look down my nose at someone else who does.
Old May 27, 2008, 03:19 PM   #46
Moe Howard

Quote:
Come one, where else are you going to carry your beer when hiking?

I wear one of those hats with a can on either side and a long straw.
Old May 27, 2008, 03:27 PM   #47
WIN71

Quote:
In each and every one of these places, if you were the least bit involved in social circles that included active and athletic people that enjoyed the outdoors (hiking, biking, running, camping, skiing, climbing, etc.) you see tons of fanny packs. They are just a way of life.

They almost never have guns in them either.
I don't see how anyone can argue with that. Depending on where and who you are I've heard some refer to these groups in general as "tree huggers, granola bars, environmentalists" and dozens of others. Their fanny packs might scream something but it sure isn't "GUN" On the other hand a wild looking biker walking into a biker bar wearing a fanny pack usually doesn't scream "HIKING,RUNNING,CAMPING,SKIING, CLIMBING." He would be well off stuffing his piece in a Budweiser six pack.
If it fits, use it. If it doesn't, loose it.
Old May 27, 2008, 03:35 PM   #48
PT111

Quote:
Who wears shorts with a belt in the summer time???
I always wear a belt, the only way to keep my pants up. I don't have much a of a badonkaconk like J-Lo so I need a belt.
Old May 27, 2008, 03:59 PM   #49
9ballbilly

I personally use a fanny pack for concealed carry throughout the summer and find it to be very comfortable and useful. It not only hides either of my personal defense handguns- Ruger speed six .38, S&W 4006 .40 ( neither of which is particularly small) but is also great for storing wallet, keys,cellphone, etc. when enjoying the great outdoors. Mine is the type held shut by velcro and I find that access to the gun is not a problem. Plus, I've used mine for several years and never had anyone take a second look at it. Social stigma aside- I wouldn't give it up.
Old May 27, 2008, 05:30 PM   #50
tulsamal

Yes, I wear cargo shorts with a belt in the warm months. Which covers a lot of the year in Oklahoma.

And I use a variation of a fanny pack, the Wilderness Safepacker. I've finally just about worn out my first one but it has taken 4-5 years. And it is just looking well worn, nothing has actually broken. Great product, I need to buy a new one plus another one in a different size.

http://www.thewilderness.com/

Gregg
Closed Thread