The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 7, 2008, 07:03 PM   #1
JohnH1963

What if I was attacked by gang members?

The economy is getting bad and everytime I drive around I see youths on the street in large groups. As things get worse, so does violent crime as jobs become less and violents youths flood the street.

How do I as a citizen guard myself against gang attack from the hoodlums that be in these neighborhoods?
Old December 7, 2008, 07:08 PM   #2
ilbob

Best bet is to stay as far away from them as you can.

If attacked, do what seems best at the time. The reality is that once you are attacked, your options dwindle. If there are two of them and one of you, chances are very good you are going down, no matter what weapons you have, or how many karate moves you think you know. Run like hell is often a good option.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old December 7, 2008, 07:16 PM   #3
brett30030

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mw2Xg0DELc
Old December 7, 2008, 07:30 PM   #4
Dresden2001

What if I were attacked by mountain lions?

If you are attacked by gang members, you defend yourself. If you can avoid areas where roving bands of dissolute youth congregate I would do so. If you can't, be prepared. Don't get boxed in at a light or stop sign. If thugs attempt to stop you by getting in front of your car, move them. Keep your hardware handy and your cell phone available.

Geez, show some common sense. Have you taken any personal defense courses? Practical (or tactical) pistol courses? Do you carry a knife or pepper spray? Have you thought through what you might have to do when confronted by a gang of thugs?
Old December 7, 2008, 07:46 PM   #5
besafe2

Stay away from those neighbourhoods. You win the fight that never happens.
Old December 7, 2008, 08:06 PM   #6
Keltyke

+1 to "besafe2".

Stay away from bad neighborhoods. Check all around your car before you get out. Go to and from your car as straight and as quickly as you can.

If attacked while in the car - RUN OVER THEM! If attacked in the parking lot, get back inside, if possible. If not, fight like your life depends on it - because it does. Unless you're a distance runner, you can't out run or out distance a gang of young, fit thugs.
Old December 7, 2008, 08:19 PM   #7
guntotinguy

Not being an expert in this area,but also noticed a decline in my own neighborhood...yes avoding the 'gangs' is a good idea but dont always assume all kids are 'gangs' either.Be prepared,as a just in case' senario but remember...you are the one with the smarts to avoid.
Old December 7, 2008, 08:20 PM   #8
troy_mclure

how fast is your draw?
how fast can you switch targets?

big thing is to never let them in your safe zone.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old December 7, 2008, 08:27 PM   #9
scorpion_tyr

Stay away from the bad parts of town... as best you can. You never know when or where something like this could happen. Keep you situation awareness no matter where you are. If you start seeing things that seem odd or suspicious, then increase you alertness and get ready for anything. As far as weapons go it depends on the situation. For your car (if state and local laws allow) I would carry a hi-capacity semi-automatic handgun, preferably a .40 S&W or a .45 ACP. If you are in your car, don't ever stop or get out if confronted by someone. Your car can be a very lethal weapon, and a means to escape. If you're worried about gang members in or near your home, I suggest a good 12 gauge pump action shotgun. Keep it loaded with #1 BK or larger. Since most shotguns only hold 4-5 rounds in the tube, I have a shell holder that slides over the stock and holds 5 extra rounds. I keep the slugs there. If the being confronted by a large group is a real threat to you I suggest getting a sling for the shotgun that holds 15-25 extra shells. If none of that is legal for you, get a good tactical folding knife, or fixed blade. Whatever you get the best option is to be well trained with it. Get a firearm you're comfortable with and put a few hundred rounds down the range every month or two. Practice shooting multiple targets, practice senarios where you engage the most threatening target first, etc. You could defend yourself against 12 gang members with a .22 revolver if you're good enough. Since a few of my family members do live in VERY bad neighborhoods (which is why I can't just avoid those parts of town) I carry a .40 that holds 14+1 and two extra clips in the car. Above all, if confronted by anyone, but especially multiple people, try to avoid and/or escape above all, because statistically speaking the more people, the less your chances of survival are.
Old December 7, 2008, 08:30 PM   #10
WIN71

Run Forest Run

Never seen a baggie pants low ridding gang banger that could take more than 2 or 3 steps without stopping to pull them up.
Old December 7, 2008, 08:33 PM   #11
NormOps

Walk tall.

Be Prepared:
have the tools to make you at least equal, hopefully better equipped. this includes knowing how to use your tools.

Stay aware. Yes, if you can aviod possible threats in the area, it's wise to do so.

If needed, Fight like a maniac: cool, calculated rage. (per Jeff Cooper)

this is what I would do, assuming 'staying away from bad neighborhoods' is not an option- (why would the OP post this in the first place...?)
it's just me though.

Last edited by NormOps; December 8, 2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old December 7, 2008, 11:42 PM   #12
Coolbenge

My Town

Gang Bangers are mobile.They can and will travel to your neighborhood. Even if you stay away from their's. I recently had the displeaser of seeing choppers in the air and armed swat teams on the ground searching my neighborhood for a suspected murderer. My quiet neighborhood resembled a war zone. Linky is below.

http://plantcity2.tbo.com/content/20...ng-plant-city/

Tim
Old December 8, 2008, 12:22 AM   #13
Re4mer

Besides simple avoidance of bad areas/people there are a few basic things you can do in general that may help if a situation does occur.

1) Always keep a cell phone handy. 911 is a free call

2) Always keep a out of arms reach if possible and never let them grab you.

3) If they do start coming at you there's no shame in running.

4) Get into a store or more crowded area if you are being followed. People are less likely to make rash moves in public places + you can call for help.

5) If you are in or near your car don't stop and ask what the problem is just drive away if you can.

6) Be confident, but don't be a wise guy. Gang members are a foolhardy bunch who already think they have something to prove to the world.

7) Pray. It can calm the nerves and gain the good Lords favor.

Finally, keep your gun on you at all times in case everything else fails.

Last edited by Re4mer; December 8, 2008 at 12:28 AM.
Old December 8, 2008, 12:27 AM   #14
KUHIO

Get a CCW. It could save your life. The economy is going to get worse before it gets better. And this time of year there's always a peak in crime. Stay vigilant and aware, and avoid those "trouble" areas whenever possible.
Old December 8, 2008, 12:29 AM   #15
skeeter1

Quote:
"If you can avoid areas where roving bands of dissolute youth congregate I would do so."
I have to agree. Some areas in downtown Cleveland (notably Slavic Village and That Flats) have gotten so bad that I just won't go there any more. I haven't been in downtown Cleveland in probably 5 years, and see no reason to go there, even though I only live 10 miles away. All of the department stores that I went to as a kid have closed, the Flats is a ghost town, and Slavic village could just as well be renamed white-trash village.

I'm an old man now, and generally don't leave the house once the sun goes down. The door on the house is locked, I have the NAA revolver in my pocket, and I don't go looking for trouble. It's sad, but that's just the way it is now.
Old December 8, 2008, 05:50 AM   #16
Regular Joe

I think that gangs are probably the worst threat to ME, and I base a lot of my preparation on that. A lot of things are already very wrong, and they have the potential to get downright nasty with a little more provocation.
I keep my P-95 with me whenever possible, with 5 magazines. As it stands right now, I don't think we need to go into any more detail about preparation, but I have recently done a little bit of testing with soaked phone books, just to dispel any misconceptions I may have had about my ammo. One find was that indeed, a fast double tap with .22 LR HP's creates a wound channel that is about equal to one good 9mm HP. I also found that a 12 ga. 3" Mag. load of #2 steel shot delivers a pattern that is just about the size of a mans chest at 30 feet, and half of the pellets penetrated 900 wet pages. I think the most effective weapon against a group would be that 12 ga. Rem 870 express or the Mossy 500 series, with a capacity of 7 or 8, loaded with #4 buck. In the Rem. 3" Mag load, that's 41 pellets of .22 caliber. When the rest of the gang sees what a ghastly mess is made with that load, I think their motives could change.
It's a sad time in America when we have to think this way.
Old December 8, 2008, 07:49 AM   #17
alloy

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...17&postcount=9

take your own advice or dont go down there?

Last edited by alloy; December 8, 2008 at 08:35 AM.
Old December 8, 2008, 09:13 AM   #18
Dwight55

I like NormOps take on the situation, . . . it is basically what I practice as best I can.

Gangs are just thugs in masse, . . . they aren't any smarter because there are more of them, . . . and maybe with the "mob" mentality, . . . maybe dumber

Main point though: thugs do not want to get hurt, . . . they want easy, quickly made targets, and attack only when they feel the odds are well in their favor.

If you cannot stay off their turf, . . . be vigilant, . . . look strong, . . . be practiced and ready, . . . and most important of all, . . . DO NOT avoid looking at them. Eyeball 'em, . . . let 'em see you've seen them, . . . you take away their most valuable asset, . . . surprize. Also keep a plan in the back of your mind to quickly move to where your back is against a wall or a building, . . . makes it easier to protect your 6 that way.

And remember, . . . if you are attacked by a gang, . . . the one that is closest is the most likely to hurt you first, . . . practice shooting multiple close in targets, . . . practice putting lots of lead down range quickly, . . . practice quick reloading techniques.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old December 8, 2008, 05:30 PM   #19
JohnH1963

There is a gem of wisdom. Is the one who is closest always most likely to hurt you first?
Old December 8, 2008, 05:44 PM   #20
Hard Ball

" practice shooting multiple close in targets, . . . practice putting lots of lead down range quickly, . . . practice quick reloading techniques."

+ 10!
Old December 8, 2008, 06:02 PM   #21
MrNiceGuy

Quote:
How do I as a citizen guard myself against gang attack from the hoodlums that be in these neighborhoods?
really?

1) have solid steel welded in place of windows and doors at your residence.

2) join the meals on wheels program

3) subscribe to a cable or satellite tv provider

4) wait till either the groups of whippersnappers.... or yourself..... pass on

honestly, from the tone of your post.... your only real option is to move.

it sounds like urban youth has been replaced by roaming hoards of murderous psychopaths.....
from your description, its almost as if you are living the film "i am legend"

if that's the case, and you dont move, then you are simply asking to be slaughtered.

the best defense is avoidance

Last edited by MrNiceGuy; December 8, 2008 at 06:08 PM.
Old December 8, 2008, 06:30 PM   #22
FireForged

You apply the same standard as you would with any threat.
Old December 8, 2008, 06:43 PM   #23
David Armstrong

Quote:
As things get worse, so does violent crime as jobs become less and violents youths flood the street.
Sigh. Folks, it is actually fairly easy to chek on this stuff. Violent crime is not getting worse, violent youths are not flooding the streets.
Old December 8, 2008, 06:46 PM   #24
MrNiceGuy

Quote:
Sigh. Folks, it is actually fairly easy to chek on this stuff. Violent crime is not getting worse, violent youths are not flooding the streets.
blasphemy

the youths... they congregate... and the only possible outcome is murder, rape, and extra-violent sodomy
Old December 8, 2008, 07:53 PM   #25
Slopemeno

did somebody say extra-violent-sodomy?