The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 26, 2007, 03:04 PM   #1
tuckerdog1

Private indoor range

Does anybody here have their own indoor range? I ask because we plan to build a new home in a couple years. We have 6 acres, but that's not enough for outdoor shooting. I think 10 is the minimum. So I was thinking, maybe I could plan something from the start for the home's lower level ( which is garage, storage & shop, no "living" area ). Thought maybe if I kept it to 22LR and possibly up to 9mm I could make it work.

If you've done it, what "unforseen" problems did you encounter? Anything you'd do different if you could start over from scratch?

Thanks,
Old February 26, 2007, 03:49 PM   #2
mikejonestkd

This should help a bit:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=229037

Also, run a search on basement range, you'll find several threads that should help.
Old February 26, 2007, 03:55 PM   #3
Samurai

In a "past life," I was privy to the architectural plans for a large mansion being constructed in my area. The homeowners included an indoor range (25 yards) with 4 lanes in their basement. It was VERY professional-looking. It was also VERY expensive. (Come to think of it, that whole HOUSE was VERY expensive!)

I would start by researching the building code requirements in your area, both state and local (and federal, if any). Find out what you HAVE to have in order to stay legal. Then, you can decide what you would like, based on your budget and needs.

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

- When in doubt, train, train, train...
Old February 26, 2007, 04:16 PM   #4
tuckerdog1

Thanks for the leads.
Old February 26, 2007, 06:48 PM   #5
rwilson452

Indoor ranges biggest issues are ventilation. you need some serious filtering you can't just vent it out. the EPA would be all over you if you take that nasty stuff and just pushed it outside. I would think you would want to keep the noise limited too. A hint on noise, cheap shag rugs do wonders in that area hang them from the walls and overhead. Double up if need be. I could give a long explanation of why the cheap ones work better but that would be long and complicated. It has to do with wave length.
Old February 26, 2007, 09:50 PM   #6
Jacobie

Kinda of funny you asked this, I was just thinking the same thing over th weekend. Though in my case I am sure it won't be for a few more years.
Old February 27, 2007, 07:43 AM   #7
NCHornet

6 acres is more than enough land, you just need to mound some dirt up for a backstop. I am fortunate enough to be able to shoot on my property. I have several hundred acres out behind my place that I can hunt and fish in the creek. Gotta love the country. I would leave the range outside and have a nice reloading area inside!!
Old February 27, 2007, 07:14 PM   #8
tuckerdog1

rwilson452, What would be the difference of venting it outside, vs what would be outside if I had an outdoor range? Appreciate the old carpet idea for sound.

The 6 acres vs the 10 acres is, I believe a legal issue. I could be wrong, but I think around here ( central TX ), 10 acres is the minimum for shooting. This build site is in one of those gated communities anyway. No way the POA would sign off on an outdoor range. Even for the folks with the 50+ acre lots.

After doing some of the reading, I am a little concerned about the lead issue. I think I could keep up with keeping unburned powder cleaned up. But the lead might be a problem.
Old February 27, 2007, 07:45 PM   #9
rwilson452

No difference I can think of. Did you ever know a rule made by the government to make sense?

We used the shag for sound absorption on sound studios.

You want to finish the floor around the fireing line. a nice smooth sealed froor and you can clean up green powder with a damp mop. pour the water on your flowers. nice high nitrate fertilizer. Oh the shag side goes toward the sound source. We put grommets in the carpet and hung it on hooks. when soiled take it down and vacuume. It will get dusty. I think we used furring strips and screws on the overhead It was a long time ago.

rwilson452, What would be the difference of venting it outside, vs what would be outside if I had an outdoor range? Appreciate the old carpet idea for sound.