The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 13, 2005, 11:52 AM   #1
USP45usp

I've got the "bug" again

I just took a rifle out of lay-a-way and I'm not "excited" like I get when I buy a new handgun. I have more rifles then I'd ever thought about ever owning.

Anyone else like that? More of a handgun person?

I am actually thinking about picking up a Mak just to get that twinge of excitement again.

Wayne
Old April 13, 2005, 11:57 AM   #2
dasmi

Yep. I'm more of a hangun person for sure. I've got the bug, but not the funds to feed the bug.
Old April 13, 2005, 12:12 PM   #3
Russ5924

Like rifles but Love handgun was deprived most of my life lived in the wrong state for handguns.Now that i'm in the right state have gotten a few to many.But I shoot them all have to love them.
Old April 13, 2005, 12:37 PM   #4
XavierBreath

Yep, I'm definitely a handgun guy.
A Mak is a good gun, but if you haven't tried prowling pawn shops, give it a try. It's a cheap way to feed the addiction.
Old April 13, 2005, 02:57 PM   #5
USP45usp

XavierBreath,

Quote:
prowling pawn shops...... It's a cheap way to feed the addiction.
Not around here . In the two stores that I've seen Maks, Mega Used: $259.00, Excellent Condition: $350.00.

All the good folks here like Tam who "show off" that Mod. 10 that she'd just found.... not around here, $400.00 (lowest was around $300.00).

Dirty (as in not cleaned, beat all to heck) ol' Llama's, $450.00 OTD.

I carry the Shooter's Bible into Pawn shops and I get dirty looks from the owners. I don't even ask if they will lower the prices anymore (they won't, they tell me that my book is "out of date" while the same book (and date) are sitting on their apreasing table).

Pawn Shops around here are: Grab your ankles stores.

Wayne
Old April 13, 2005, 03:47 PM   #6
utaherrn

buying guns is an addiction?

I think it might be, the more I ponder it. I do believe that I get a huge endorphine rush each time I get a new toy
Problem is, our tolerance for the rush increases so we must buy more and more to get the same experience.
I suggest buying two guns at once as an experiment. Record your experience. Compare with others doing the same. The scientific process requires replication to be valid.

Then buy 3 guns at once. More guns = greater/longer lasting euphoria?

All in the name of science, you see.....to further our understanding....as a service to the community.

Maybe get a research grant?
Old April 13, 2005, 06:49 PM   #7
9mmsnoopy

i have more fun shooting my rifles(most likely cause im better with them by far), but cleaning them vrs. my handguns makes me a handgun person
Bushmaster AR15
Old April 13, 2005, 07:20 PM   #8
Whiskey Tango

Quote:
i have more fun shooting my rifles(most likely cause im better with them by far), but cleaning them vrs. my handguns makes me a handgun person
I second EVERY word of that
Old April 13, 2005, 10:03 PM   #9
yorec

Always thought of my self as a rifleman.... But recently I bought an 11-87 - a shotgun for crying out loud.

The things awesome and actually gave me the shakes the first couple time I went out to shoot it. I think it just has to go BANG! to make me happy!
Old April 13, 2005, 11:08 PM   #10
Overman

I get paid Friday and I already got one picked out. 5:01 on Friday my car's pointed toward the shop.

I feel like a kid at Christmas. It's the best. I wish I could go and get it tomorrow, but this way is kind of fun, with the anticipation.

I can just see myself now... Friday... going up to the counter. "I want one of those"... filling out the yellow form, browsing the store, maybe checking out how badly people are shooting on the range , finally getting the OK. Getting the nice new case, the nice new magazines, the receipt, buying some ammo, taking it home, reading the manual, cleaning it, then taking it back to the range to play. It gives me the warm and fuzzies.
Old April 13, 2005, 11:45 PM   #11
pointfiveoh

OH STOP IT!! You've gone and infected me now... and I'm already picking up a gun this weekend from CDNN. You're going to make me buy that colt 1911 under the glass while I'm getting the transfer paperwork done. Why can't it be enough to get one at a time
Old April 14, 2005, 01:59 AM   #12
utaherrn

pointfiveoh

You're infected and there aint no antidote or cure, and if there was...

Would you want it?

Of course not!
Old April 14, 2005, 03:56 PM   #13
GunsForFun

I am ordering a Savage 12BVSS .243 today... and thinking very seriously about getting a Kahr PM9 too. To save on postage.

Yeah - that's it. To save on postage. Tape the boxes together and save $20!

Crap - just remembered that handguns have to go overnight.

Well there is that .270...

No Stop! Stop!!