The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 3, 2005, 08:51 PM   #26
JMoore1977

Would it have been lawfull to cap one of them in the back as they were traversing towards the tree line? just curious ...
Old April 3, 2005, 09:03 PM   #27
USP45usp

Quote:
"Stop right there"

"Get on the Ground"

"Stay where you are or I'll shoot"

"Leave now and I won't shoot"
I hate to say it but all I can say is "vio con Dias" (my spanish is just as bad as my english when it comes to spelling).

A criminal is a criminal and should be adressed as such, whether they be Mexican, Hispanic, Indian, Black or White. Whatever the language, all I can say to them is "go with God".

Wayne
Old April 3, 2005, 09:19 PM   #28
Edward429451

...leave and I wont shoot...

Quote:
I am not sure if I would want to use this one much.
I wouldn't use it much. But who knows what the situation would be? It could be a kid trying to steal my radio, and who'd really want to blast a kid for that? Just another option under my belt. Maybe if I was forced to shoot and had said that a witness would recount my statement to the po po.

Some people respect the man more than having the police called on them. If I just called the police, I'd still have to think that they may come back. If I told them to leave and I wouldn't shoot and they do...It might send a deeper message to them to stay clear. It would all depend on the exact situational at the time.

Can't say I blame the thread starter for opening fire when he did. Two against one at gunpoint and one lunges for the truck? I'da open fired too. Sounds like he handled that almost perfectly. (get this thread back on topic!)

(Thanks for the words guys! I'm gonna follow that up with some spanish speaking friends of mine. Excellant idea BillCA!)
Old April 3, 2005, 09:30 PM   #29
Edward429451

Quote:
Would it have been lawfull to cap one of them in the back as they were traversing towards the tree line? just curious ...
Depends where you are. A fleeing felon who commited a felony in your presence is fair game in some states, and some states you can use deadly force to protect property. Colorado is one and I 'think' Texas is another. If it happens in the night season, some states take that into account also, possibly allowing you to escalate the level of response.

Myself, I probably would not do it. Fleeing theives? No. Fleeing from raping my wife, hell yeah, local laws be damned. Threat level is higher with violent felons, as would be the potential for them to continue violence within the community. (aside from the wife thing.)

YMMV.

Wayne...LOL!
Old April 4, 2005, 12:09 AM   #30
Sir William

After thinking this over, I suggest a change of weapons. I believe a better choice would be a lever action rifle or utility rifle. Higher capacity, better sights, reasonable for ranch use, more intimidating, longer reach and you could scope them before approach. I am currently researching a multiple upper/calibers AR. Just a thought. My other concern is simple. What if the shots fired into the tires were needed due to a firefight? Food for thought. I have lived out in the country. 911 is second, 1911 is first.
Old April 4, 2005, 07:46 AM   #31
N.H. Yankee

Wow I guess living on the farm aint what it used to be! I live in a remote rural area and due to this as one cant be home or about outside all the time I chain my stuff, though bolt cutters are easy to obtain, chaining prevents most problems. Maybe a couple of good guard dogs would be benificial also, thankfully it turned out OK. I would also get say a ruger mini 30 as well as the handgun, dogs are a good deterent and first alert. Especially with children around and one cannot be always watching children. the dogs would at least alert you and may protect the children. The children would be my as well as your first concern out in the country, just too many children being kidnapped lately. Sounds like you handled it as best as anyone could have and kept a level head, having to draw your weapon as often as you have I guess old N.H. isnt so bad after all.
Old April 4, 2005, 09:01 AM   #32
Steve499

It's always wonderful to learn a couple of coyotes who think they are in sheep country kick up a curly wolf!!
Old April 4, 2005, 08:49 PM   #33
Jseime

good on ya mate

the foxes in the henhouse found a doberman.
id have been too jumpy and capped the one that moved as soon as he twitched. (bad thing? maybe, maybe not)
well done and im glad you caught em. theyll be too scared to try it again for a while.
Old April 5, 2005, 02:37 AM   #34
Bruce in West Oz

I swear my heart rate went up measurably just reading this and looking at the photos.

NOT the sort of experience I would wish on anyone -- so glad you and yours came out of it in one piece.
Old April 5, 2005, 06:40 AM   #35
LAK

Quote:
Within 3-4 minutes, sheriff’s cars were rolling up and set up a perimeter for one mile around. The CHP helicopter showed up shortly thereafter
Well above the national average I think.

On the subject of Spanish; I think the best command Spanish I have heard of was that issued to a English aquaintance with his wife in a rental car on Majorca during a visit by King Juan Carlos. A big red-bearded Civil Guardsman stepped out into the road with a subgun nonchalantly levelled at his open window with a very low "Woooooooooo hombre".
Old April 5, 2005, 09:30 AM   #36
TallPine

I second Sir William

If I have to go out and check something suspicious, then I have a rifle in my hands AND the 357 on my belt. (but then the loaded rifle is always leaning in a handy corner or under the bed at night)

Good job keeping your cool. I would probably have drilled the one moving towards the truck.
"The inherent right in the people to reform their government, I do not deny; and they have another right, and that is to resist unconstitutional laws without overturning the government." --Daniel Webster
Old April 5, 2005, 07:43 PM   #37
Dwight55

FWIW, . . . a few years ago, . . . local farmer awakened early in the morning to sounds going on around his pickup truck just outside his house.

Grabs 9mm to go investigate. Just a bunch of kids out hoorawing around in the AM, . . . trying to find something to steal it seemed.

When they saw him, . . . apparently came for him, . . . saw 9mm, . . . did turnaround, . . . tried to speed off.

Farmer shot out their rear tire and held them for local bone headed sheriff. Sheriff takes kids in, . . . arrests farmer, . . . confiscates handgun. Took him several months to get his pistol back, . . . took several hours and a good lawyer to get him out of jail. Grand jury told sheriff he was full of sand and declined any indictment.

Moral: be careful if you shoot, . . .

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old April 14, 2005, 02:07 PM   #38
GunsForFun

Holy crap! Sounds like you handled it very well. Hope I would do as well in a similar situation.

However, gets me to thinking whether a handgun is the best option here. In my safe I keep several loaded weapons; three handguns and a shotgun for indoor burglarly scenarios, a 30-30 (problems with roaming dogs), and a .17 HMR (for roaming ground squirrels).

But in this here situation, I'm thinking that the AR-15 might be a better option, for the 30 round clip (mostly), better accuracy at distance (may not be a factor here), and intimidation factor. I usually think of it and the Socom 16 in SHTF scenarios only and don't keep them loaded, but may have to re-think that. In the best scenario, you would have time to strap on a Glock .45 as backup. We are on 40 acres and do have some scattered neighbors, so that is one negative to the .223. Of course in PRK you would have to go with a Mini-14 or Socom 16 / M1A.

About 6 months ago we had a neighbor a few miles away (it's all rural round here) heard a noise in his detached garage around midnight. Got his AR-15 and went to investigate. Him and the perp come face to face in the alley between the house and the garage. The perp shoots at him with a pistol and misses. He fires several shots back, the guy runs into the dark. Never did catch him. The guy thinks he had to have hit him (how could you miss in a 3 foot alley?) Cops said somebody did check into a hospital the next day with gunshot wounds a couple of hours north of here.

Damn meth heads will do anything for money.
Old April 14, 2005, 03:35 PM   #39
FirstFreedom

Wow, nice story, nice shooting, nice job.
Old April 14, 2005, 05:16 PM   #40
stephen426

Good job! I'm glad you got out of the situation without any injuries. I'm not sure I wouls have been so cool in that situation.

Since they were not aprehended, I have a few suggestions for better securing your property. You might want to consider an optical sensor that sounds everytime it is crossed. This is great for the main entrance to your property. There are a few model available that have wireless transmitters so you won't have to run a wire all the way to the house.

I'm not sure if you have any dogs but they are a great theft deterrant. Besides, they are great companions. My dog would be on them in a second. You should consider K9 traning for larger dogs as you will need to be able to call them off so they don't kust kill and eat the bad guys.

Best of luck to you and great job again.