The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 6, 2002, 08:10 AM   #1
AndABeer

Witness Compact 10mm mags

Why are they 8 round instead of 10s?

EAA website says 10+1 but any time I have fondled one in the gun shop it has been a plugged 8 rounder.

"You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts." Unknown
Old September 6, 2002, 03:58 PM   #2
Gusgus

Don't know. I got mine a year ago, and it came with a 10 rounder. Looks as if the mag was cut and shortened from a full size, full capacity one. Definitely cut, shortened, and welded back together. It has a flat floor plate, and holds 10 rounds easily.

Could be that they are now cutting down full size gilded mags, thereby reducing capacity to 8. Doesn't seem to make sense having a plugged mag base on a pistol designed for 10+1.

[color=royal blue]In loving memory of Bill "Gunslinger" Elliott. I am honored that he called me friend.[/color]
Old September 6, 2002, 05:50 PM   #3
TBAUS

That doesn't make sense. I think the compact .45acp Witness will only hold 8 rounds due to the diameter of the round, but to my knowledge compact Witness 10mm mags should hold 10 rounds. Unfortunately, I don't have a 10mm Witness to look at. I just took a quick look at gunbroker.com to see what compact 10mm mags are for sale. One guy is selling 10mm Witness mags saying they hold 9 rounds... Go figure.... Email EAA and see what they say. Better yet, hopefully yet another 10mm compact owner will set us straight.
Old September 7, 2002, 10:38 AM   #4
Peter M. Eick

If you take apart a witness magazine, you will see that the follower has 2 slots cut in it. These slots mate with the dimples in the mag tube. If the slots are cut to narrow, you get an 9,8 or even 7 round magazine. If you force more in, the dimple bulges and the mag breaks in half. To solve the problem take it apart (the mag that is), take the follower out, and CAREFULLY use an exacto knife to clean the slot cuts out so the follower will go all the way down to the dimple.

It works, I converted all of my 7,8, and 9 round magazines to 10rnders this way. ALSO, you cannot convert them to be 11+ round magazines this way, the rounds cannot get by the dimples without breaking the magazine. SO DON'T TRY IT!

Does any of this sound like the voice of experience.........?
Old September 8, 2002, 11:15 PM   #5
nvrquit

Tanfoglio Witness 10mm Compact, mag capacity...

I have still retained the Tanfoglio Witness Compact that was and is the source of my previosu posts. However, on that topic I will not dwell at this time.

The issue concerning the magazine capacity of this particular Tan' is a little misleading, depending of course upon when and where you aquired the information. The EAA website had/has at times listed the 10mm Witness Compact as being either 9 or 10 rounds. The magazines of both the black and red follower type(early feed problem and late corrected feed, respectively) were/are both able to contain 10 rounds. To this I will however add that, with 10 rounds loaded that the mag is VERY tight. In this condition, either early or late mag follower styles exhibited occaisional feed issues with the first two rounds from the mag, starting with a round already in the chamber and 10 rounds in the mag. Loaded to only 9 rounds in the mag, the late style(red) follower mags were/are fairly reliable(once the pistol was made to function properly, but I digress). BTW, the manual that accompanies the pistol when NIB, clearly states that the capacity of a 10mm Compact is 9 rounds. If anyone wants the capacity recommendations as stated on the manual for the other variations of the Tanfoglio Witness, let me know, as they are all listed on the same said manual.