The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 19, 2009, 12:52 PM   #1
richfr

Beginner what .22 rifle to go for?

Hi everyone I am new to the sport (and forum) and thinking of buying a .22 rifle for my first gun. I live in France and have to wait 6 months before I can buy anything interesting.
I was going to wait the six months and buy a 9mm pistol but that means relying on other members to lend me guns and sell me the ammo and most of the time I am just hanging around especially if the guys I know aren't there. I am very keen to learn and think it will be a long term hobby for me

I thought I would get a .22 rifle and as the ammo is cheap and will give me a good starting point. I will probably end up keeping it anyway but money is an issue if I want a 9mm in 6 months.
So do I buy a cheap Chinese Norinco JW15 kit (Alpen sights, silencer, hard case, cleaning kit and 500 rounds) or do I buy a quality rifle and use the iron sights for a while then get optics etc later?
What would you guys recommend?
I think they are a bit more expensive over here the JW15 kit would be €310 $430.

Thanks Rich
Old December 19, 2009, 01:26 PM   #2
fyimo

I never vote to get a cheap gun except if the research shows it is dead reliable and decently accurate. Most cheap rifles have feeding problems and don't shoot very accuratly. I really can't comment other then that because I don't know what's available or the pricing in France.
Old December 19, 2009, 01:34 PM   #3
chris in va

I don't suppose you can get a 9mm carbine like a KelTec or HiPoint? They're a lot more fun than a 22 rifle.
Old December 19, 2009, 01:39 PM   #4
Microgunner

Always buy the finest firearm you can afford if you plan to use it. Good quality never goes out of style.
Old December 19, 2009, 01:45 PM   #5
hodaka

Welcome Rich,

I would forego the Norinco and go for something American or European made. CZ's are popular over here as are a bunch of others too numerous to count. Are silencers easy to acquire there? There is a considerable extra tax on them here.
Old December 19, 2009, 01:50 PM   #6
Evan Thomas

Welcome to TFL, and to our fine hobby...

A good bolt-action .22 rifle is the best possible tool for a beginner to learn to shoot well: it's very simple mechanically, so there's little to go wrong, and it's easy to clean and maintain; ammunition is cheap, so you can afford to shoot a lot; recoil is low, so you can learn correct form, practicing as much as you want without either wrecking your shoulder or developing a flinch or other bad habits.

The best value for money is probably the CZ 452 or 453 (latter is a bit more money and has a set trigger, which a beginner probably doesn't need). They are excellent, very accurate rifles. They're made in the Czech Republic, so I presume they're readily available in Europe. The Savage Mark II would be a good second choice if you're on a tighter budget, although I don't know relative prices over there...

With any rifle, learning with iron sights is good if you have the eyesight for it. If you do want a scope, stay away from package deals and buy a good scope separately -- the scopes included with package deals tend not to be very good quality.
Old December 19, 2009, 02:01 PM   #7
Buzzcook

A .22 rifle is the way to go. Most used .22 rifles still work well and you can get a higher quality rifle than buying new. A bolt action is very simple technology and just about any major gun maker has a good .22 bolt.

As mentioned above, buy the best you can afford and it will last you a life time.
Old December 19, 2009, 02:05 PM   #8
Jimro

If this is truly your first firearm, a Norinco JW-15 is probably going to give you a great first rifle to practice on.

You probably won't go out and start winning rimfire matches, but you will have plenty of opportunity to learn the fundamentals of marksmanship.

Jimro
Old December 19, 2009, 02:12 PM   #9
richfr

Thanks for the info I kind of knew what the answer would be I just didn't want to spend lots of money keeping it for a 9mm

chris in va - I cant have anything other than .22 rifle or black powder for the first 6 months then almost anything goes (not allowed fully auto have to be converted to semi)

hodaka - Silencers aren't a problem here as far as I know.

Vanya - My eye sight is good, yes we can get CZ here http://www.tir1000.com/index.php?cPath=64_75 would be €390 $560 for a CZ452 on its own which would blow all my budget
Maybe I should try to find something second hand?
Old December 19, 2009, 02:24 PM   #10
Jimro

richfr,

If you can find a CZ second hand, or an older Anshutz in your budget, that would be good. Also Zastava puts out a 22 that Charles Daly imported, now Remington imports and calls the Model 5. I have one of the Model 5's and it is a very good rifle, mine was on sale for $150. If you see one for a good price I would snap it up.

Jimro
Old December 19, 2009, 02:25 PM   #11
trublu

Buy this one (cz452 lux) if you just want iron sights. I've got one like it and it's great - accurate and fun.

"blow your budget" - I think we've all done that
Old December 19, 2009, 02:36 PM   #12
CraigC

Quote:
They're a lot more fun than a 22 rifle.
What???????
Old December 19, 2009, 03:16 PM   #13
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC
Quote:
They're a lot more fun than a 22 rifle.
What???????
Well said!

Rich, you might also want to price the CZ 452 trainer -- same rifle, but with a birch stock instead of the walnut, for somewhat less money... and if you could find one of those, used...
Old December 19, 2009, 09:53 PM   #14
Tucker 2

CZ... it is worth it. Particularly the full stock. (not mine).
Old December 19, 2009, 10:05 PM   #15
fisherman66

I agree with CZ. I also agree with a full stock. Good lukin gun. Pardon my vernacular.
Old December 19, 2009, 10:11 PM   #16
Radagast

Another vote for the CZ452. I've had mine for 12 years and have never regretted buying it and then waiting to be able to buy a scope.
Old December 19, 2009, 10:50 PM   #17
banditt007

check out the CZ's or the brno's I have a CZ 452 american .22lr i love it. the CZ 453 as mentioned has a factory set trigger and costs $100+ more. IMO its not worth it, for $18 literally you can install a sweet, adjustable trigger kit in the CZ 452 which makes it the nicest trigger i've ever used (fairly limited experience w/ rifle triggers, but still, its really nice) For a bit cheaper you can get the CZ scout, which is everything that the CZ 452 is, but a cheaper stock. but all the workings are the exact same. You will not regret this purchase it makes many other .22's feel like a cheap toy. Of course there are nicer .22's out there but you will pay a good chunk of change more to get a real step up from the CZ
Old December 19, 2009, 10:58 PM   #18
Sport45

If you don't mind the synthetic stock, a Marlin 981T makes a good beginner's rifle. I bought one for my son when he was 14 or 15. A few months later we put a 4-12 AO scope on it and he had no trouble at all hitting shotgun hulls at 50 yards. (Tin cans hanging from a wire at that distance were too easy so he started shooting the wire instead.)

I like the lines of a tube fed .22 much better than I like the looks of one with the skinny magazine sticking out the bottom.
Old December 20, 2009, 12:26 AM   #19
Fullthrottle

I am realy wondering what I missed. I know little of most of the .22's mentioned in this thread so far (except the Marlin). But nobody mentioned the Ruger 10/22(real popular here in the US), also inexpensive, localy $200usd or so. Can you get this rifle reasonably in France? If so, I highly recommend it for your use. As mentioned before stay away from scoped combo's (definately cheap scopes, I have found). No matter what you choose to buy(I say spend as much as you can afford to do), enjoy your new sport!
Old December 20, 2009, 12:33 AM   #20
Jimro

The problem with semi-auto 22's for a first rifle is that it is way too tempting to just throw lead downrange instead of developing marksmanship skills.

Jimro
Old December 20, 2009, 12:40 AM   #21
Willie D

Funny how no one bothered to Google the Norinco model and find out it's a CZ clone...
Old December 20, 2009, 12:51 AM   #22
Jimro

I googled it, but I don't know if being a CZ clone is the same as having CZ quality....

I still think it would be a good first rifle, as MOST first rifles shoot better than first shooters

Jimro
Old December 20, 2009, 12:57 AM   #23
Fullthrottle

"The problem with semi-auto 22's for a first rifle is that it is way too tempting to just throw lead downrange instead of developing marksmanship skills."

True but the key word is "tempting", not a problem depending on your intent for use!

"MOST first rifles shoot better than first shooters"
Another very good point, and Jimro, I do agree that a clone may or may not be as good of quality. Only manufacturing and quality control can prove one way or another!
Old December 20, 2009, 02:01 AM   #24
KnightofCydonia

Go for a bolt action: Marlin 925
Old December 20, 2009, 05:42 AM   #25
richfr

I haven't seen Rugger over here and not many Marlins
Really like the look of the full stock but its a chunk more cash.
Will try getting to the local shops see if there are any used ones.