The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 10, 2001, 12:35 AM   #1
PUMC_TomG

Vektor 9mm

Anybody seen one of these imported. They were made in South Africa, and one of the magazines had a big article on it. Incredibly ergonomic, futuristic design, polymer 9mm carry pistol. Only I have never seen one in person or heard of anyone who has. What happened to these things????
Old July 10, 2001, 02:15 AM   #2
ohen cepel

If I remember right they were recalled due to a safety issue that the maker did not know how to fix. I know that sounds crazy but I think that's what happened to them.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old July 10, 2001, 06:19 AM   #3
denfoote

My FFL has one sitting in his safe that he cannot sel due to the recoil. But VEKTOR has yet to tell him what to do with the pistol!!!! Guns in LIMBO!!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old July 10, 2001, 08:00 AM   #4
Pardoner

One of my local gun shops used to be the actual importer for this company.

The strange polymer looking one... The CP-1? I think?
Was a colplete POS. I worked with someone who had one and she had to have it worked on several times. A friend of mine rented one and had tons of problems. I tired it and had a lot of jams.

The owner of the shop stated that they are no longer sold here in the US because they were listed in one of the anti-gun lawsuits and they decided not to mess with fighting it. They just decided not to sell them here in the US.
HS-2000
ParaOrdnance P-14.45
SUB 2000
Old July 10, 2001, 09:22 AM   #5
IZZY

That guy is full of it! Shoddy, overpriced, unsafe and poor design is the reason it is not imported... Too afraid of suits from Shooters, not anti-gun idiots.

Is that guy still importing the ANC mandated "pump AK style rifle"?
Old July 10, 2001, 09:31 AM   #6
kingknives

I just took my Vektor CP-1 shooting last weekend. I've been very pleased with mine. Fit and finish are excellent, very ergonomic, inherently accurate and the most highly polished chamber/barrel I have ever seen on a handgun.

With a better trigger and sights this gun could give my C&S Hi-Power, Gold Cup and P-7 a run for their money.

Being a gas-delay system like the H&K P-7 it did take a small break in period to become fully reliable, and takes special attention to cleaning! Mine has been 100% reliable after the first 100 rounds, and has probably had about 700+ rounds through it.

Apparently their was some concern about the internal safety and the possibility the gun could discharge if dropped. I have been in contact with Vektor as recently as a couple of weeks ago and supposedly they are arranging a buy-back recall.
But I haven't decided if I want to give it up
Old July 10, 2001, 10:10 AM   #7
ModIMark0

I saw a small column on CP1 in a Guns 2001 book. It was an author's visit to the SHOT show, and in the Vektor category there was mention that the CP1 was being redesigned for a more conventional locking/operating system (like a Browning style I would guess), and would feature a new manual safety that would be frame mounted in a M1911 position, with no blade safety in the leading edge of the trigger guard. The marketing director (Christine Danforth) was handling in the photo in the book.
Unfortunately, Vektor USA's website is no longer around, and I want to see if they are still offering their other handguns.
Old July 10, 2001, 10:18 AM   #8
leedesert

Buy one and put in a frame on the wall. Label it "Millenium Mistake".
John 3:16
LEO in 2002
NRA lifer
GOA
GSSF
KABA
Old July 10, 2001, 06:46 PM   #9
GSB

There was a recall notice on these things in American Rifleman. Seems that a defect could cause them to go off (I believe the NRA's terminology was "if bumped").

Did handle one in the store once. Seemed too large and too heavy to be a fun concealment gun, but it did look kinda nifty.
Old July 10, 2001, 08:19 PM   #10
scoops

FROM WHAT I HAVE READ THEY WERE A CARRY ALOT FIRE A LITTLE GUN.MUCH AS ARE THE SMITH N WESSON SIGMAS.they were desighned to have a short life of maby 5000 rounds before they were done for.no thank you .i did almost buy one just for a curiosity item.
Old July 11, 2001, 12:04 AM   #11
www.glock19.com

I have just recently recieved a registered letter from Vector that was mailed from South Africa direct not from a disrubitor which I found surprising.
they wanted the contact info of the people I had sold vectors CP1s to.
they intend to buy back all of the guns in circulation.
The letter stated it is a saftey issue.
Old July 11, 2001, 01:16 PM   #12
kingknives

Scoops,
That was actually a rumor that wasn't true. There was a typo in the original manual that came with the gun that made some people think this.
It was something like 25,000 rounds and was supposed to be 250,000 rounds, or something along that lines.
It should last as long as any other modern handgun.
Old July 15, 2001, 07:25 AM   #13
jar

I noticed that the latest flyer from SOG has the Vektors listed as for sale again. Model is still called CP-1. [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]
Old July 15, 2001, 07:44 AM   #14
Oink

Have had a CP1 for a while, didn't sell many here in Australia.
Doesn't like reloads on range, heaps of stoppages, but did OK on factory rounds.

Found the sights were set high and difficult to set right. Still not the most accurate handgun I own.

Has a lot of interest when shown due to ergonomic shape and feel. A friend had difficulty in that when firing the gun he would put pressure on the magazine release (which is flush with the frame) and drop the magazine from the weapon.

I brought mine new and have never heard "boo" from the factory. Any information re a recall or any safety issue would helpfully inform an "down under" owner.

Thanks Oink
Old July 15, 2001, 11:18 PM   #15
orlando5

For those that don't know what a Vektor CP-1 look like:

http://www.army-technology.com/contr...r/vektor2.html

Vektor website:

http://www.vektorarms.com/
Old July 16, 2001, 01:00 AM   #16
jtduncan

Look. There is a reason why you don't see them.

A they're from South Africa and look what also happened to the TZ-99 and the Vector. they just disappeared. They are having problems either in importing or manufacturing them. Aparteid will impact them for a good generation.

Thanks but no thanks.

I'd rather waste my money on one of those Croatian made HS-2000s. Waiting for them to malfunction. But they seem to be the best 9mm import from a small arms maker in the past 10 years.

Vector = look cool and that's about it.
Old July 16, 2001, 04:06 PM   #17
IZZY

No question Sud Afrika has gone to pot. Too bad the Afrikans and the Zulus could not make a strong coalition and keep the Xhosa/ANC commies out of power in jail or exile...(or better yet...)

The dismantlilng of the country will have it ending like Zimbabwe ( Southern Rhodesia) where it used to export food, now it must import food stuffs. Too busey killing white farmers and redistributuing the land to actualy grow anything. ( see www.newsmax.com )