The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old September 7, 2004, 02:42 PM   #26
FrankDrebin

I say write Israel a check for $1million every time an Arab kills an American. I don't think Arab states will let too many more Americans get killed before they start rooting out more terrorists than even they knew they had.
Old September 7, 2004, 03:48 PM   #27
PsychoSword

Quote:
Iraq attacked us? When, exactly, did this happen?
I haven't seen any Iraqi tanks in my hometown, but North Korea has been practicing firing missiles at us for quite some time now and managed to hit Alaska once already. And also happens to have a nuclear weapons program that we gave to them. Saddam was obviously a bigger threat.
Old September 7, 2004, 04:29 PM   #28
Real Gun

Quote:
I say write Israel a check for $1million every time an Arab kills an American. I don't think Arab states will let too many more Americans get killed before they start rooting out more terrorists than even they knew they had. - FrankDrebin
That's really clever, but I don't think the world revolves around Israel or that hating Americans is redirected. Our demand for oil and how we protect the supply is the root of it all. I am not saying that we don't have a dramatically pro-Israel agenda also, but Israel gives us an excuse to be involved in the region.
Old September 7, 2004, 05:38 PM   #29
bountyh

"We didn't want this war, they did...they attacked us."

Al qaeda attacked US interests and structiures. Hussein and Iraq did not have jack to do with Al Qaeda, in fact they were enemies. Bin laden had stated publicly that Hussein was an infidel and he would topple his regime.... we took care of that for him. Bin laden also said he would fight to install an Islamic government there.... that war is ongoing even now. It always helps to know who your enemy actually is... to avoid attacking the wrong country.

"They declared war on us."

Al Qaeda did exactly that. And now our resources are tied up in Iraq so we can not focus them on Al Qaeda (who are in pakistan).

I'm not a member of the pat Buchanan fan club, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Old September 7, 2004, 06:13 PM   #30
GoRon

I posted this in another thread:

The main supporter of Islamic terrorism now has US troops on its east and west borders. It has American allies on its north border and its south-east border. To the south our Navy controles the Persion Gulf.

Iran was and is the problem.

The President has boxed them in and is generating alot of pressure on the religeous leaders by establishing a free nation(s) on their border.

Your Bush hatred has blinded you to the strategic moves we have made.
Old September 7, 2004, 06:29 PM   #31
Jamie Young

Quote:
Hussein and Iraq did not have jack to do with Al Qaeda, in fact they were enemies.
The underlying truth of the War is, the entire Middle-East lacks the social structures to prevent dictators and terrorists from having safe haven.

THE ENTIRE MIDDLE-EAST.

And there isn't a single one of them them that can be trusted with a nuclear power plant. We all know what'll come out of that.

Even this was from one of LawDog's threads:

"However, a prominent Arab journalist wrote that Muslims must acknowledge the painful fact that Muslims are the main perpetrators of terrorism."

"Our terrorist sons are an end-product of our corrupted culture," Abdulrahman al-Rashed, general manager of Al-Arabiya television, wrote in his daily column published in the Asharq Al-Awsat newspaper. It ran under the headline, "The Painful Truth: All the World Terrorists are Muslims!"

Al-Rashed ran through a list of recent attacks by Islamic extremist groups -- in Russia, Iraq, Sudan, Saudi Arabia and Yemen -- many of which are influenced by the ideology of Osama bin Laden, the Saudi-born leader of the al Qaeda terror network.

"Most perpetrators of suicide operations in buses, schools and residential buildings around the world for the past 10 years have been Muslims," he wrote. Muslims will be unable to cleanse their image unless "we admit the scandalous facts," rather than offer condemnations or justifications.

"The picture is humiliating, painful and harsh for all of us."

America is giving the voiceless a fighting chance of speaking out and having a powerful allie to back them up.

I think this is a better thread for Americans living in America to understand why they hear crickets chirping:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0421/p09s02-coop.html

I think that article is one of the best articles I've read on American soil.
Old September 7, 2004, 06:35 PM   #32
Handy

You really think a country with that much political turmoil needed "boxing in"? Iran's government will self destruct in a few years. And as I said before, the majority of the money and people used in terrorism are Saudi Sunni's, not Iranian Shiias.

I guess we "boxed in" N. Korea, too. That's why Nixon went to China, right?
Old September 8, 2004, 09:12 AM   #33
Real Gun

FWIW

Quote:
Regarding where are the moderate Islamists?
Moderate Muslims Speak Out
Old September 8, 2004, 09:42 AM   #34
magooch

Make no mistake; those who are critical of this preemptive action on Iraq are the very ones who would be calling George Bush a chicken for not doing anything about Saddam Huissein if we hadn't gone in there.

My only regret is that we didn't let the Air Force or the Navy handle that mess. I have nothing in the world against ground pounders, but frankly they are just targets for the opertunistic dissidents.

I do not believe in limited warfare; if you are going to war, go with the biggest, badest weapons and machines you've got. A little demonstration of real power might go a long way toward convincing the Arabs that they should find something better to do.
Old September 8, 2004, 10:59 AM   #35
Selfdfenz

Getting back to Pat

I would agree with the comment that like a broken clock PB is right twice a day....on a good day.

Pat finds himself marginalized in the face of a RNC that is dominated by NeoCons and frankly a NeoCon President in he form of W. (and he ain't the only one I'll bet )

I think that frustration makes PAt a bit the bomb thrower just to get some face time on TV and the networks seem comfortable letting him get up on his isolated soapbox and roar......about every 4-6 months with regualrity if anyone's checking.

S-
Old September 8, 2004, 12:08 PM   #36
bountyh

" Iran was and is the problem."

Well, that's one opinion. In fact, Saudi Arabia was, is and has been the problem for some time. They have financed Osama Bin Laden and Al Qaeda for over a decade and continue to do so. They paid for 9/11 and the Cole and Kobar Towers attacks. We have the proof, in fact it is in the 27 pages that the Bush admin had to censor out of the report to our intelligence committee.

Iran is certainly a problem, but when it comes to who is killing Americans, Saudi Arabia is THE problem.
Old September 8, 2004, 12:30 PM   #37
gburner

Iran, Syria, Saudi Arabia, whomever.....
Plenty of foreheads, plenty of warheads, plenty of time.
We're not done cleaning house over there by a damn sight.

Moderate Muslims???....

This can all come to a screeching halt tomorrow if these alleged Moderate Muslims repudiate terrorism, slay the terrorists in their midst and force their governments to institute social reforms which deal with the root causes of terror. Otherwise, life will continue to suck for millions of dissaffected folks who will cotinue to attack their 'oppressors' on the promise of a slice of glorious joy in the afterlife.
Old September 8, 2004, 12:35 PM   #38
Sneevil

Frankly, I'd be happy to see us completely discontinue the "WOT". Let the suicide bombers blow themselves up in Berlin, Paris, Brussels, New York, L.A., SF, etc. I don't go to those places anyway, and the left would soon STFU. As an added bonus, we'd save a ton of $$ and lots of American military lives. That works for me.
Old September 8, 2004, 01:55 PM   #39
PsychoSword

Quote:
I posted this in another thread:

The main supporter of Islamic terrorism now has US troops on its east and west borders. It has American allies on its north border and its south-east border. To the south our Navy controles the Persion Gulf.

Iran was and is the problem.
They're not the ones shooting missiles at us. North Korea is. Oh btw, if that's the case, why are they selling them weapons? Ooops...

http://www.commondreams.org/views02/0509-07.htm

"If Israeli weapons sales to China induce misgivings, including the most recent U.S. blocked sale of Israel's Phalcon airborne radar, the beneficiaries of Chinese arms transfers of Israeli-American technology are even more disturbing. In 1996, as disclosed in the UN Register of Conventional Arms, China sold over 100 missiles and launchers to Iran, along with a handful of combat aircraft and warships. Even worse, in 1997 the New York Daily News reported that Iraq had deployed Israeli-developed, Chinese PL-8 missiles in the no-fly zones, endangering American pilots."
Old September 8, 2004, 08:15 PM   #40
fallingblock

That strategy does have some appeal, Sneevil......

Although there could be a problem with the sacrificial locations.

Sneevil: Frankly, I'd be happy to see us completely discontinue the "WOT". Let the suicide bombers blow themselves up in Berlin, Paris, Brussels, New York, L.A., SF, etc. I don't go to those places anyway, and the left would soon STFU. As an added bonus, we'd save a ton of $$ and lots of American military lives. That works for me."

Folks in New York, L.A. and San Fran might disagree with it, but they aren't voting for "W" anyway.

And I agree with bountyhunter:
*********************************************************""Iran is certainly a problem, but when it comes to who is killing Americans, Saudi Arabia is THE problem."

Noting also that a lot of support for the Shia 'insurgents' in Iraq seems to be coming from Iran.

And Handy:
"You really think a country with that much political turmoil needed "boxing in"

Absolutely! Turn up the heat and assist the process of removing the radical mullahs from power. The sooner the better.
Old September 8, 2004, 08:23 PM   #41
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

gburner - Regarding moderate Muslims; maybe you missed these links:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,131580,00.html
http://www.cair-net.org/html/911statements.html
http://www.al-islam.org/dilp_statement.html
http://www.muhajabah.com/otherscondemn.php
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...1595D1A4F5.htm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3628836.stm
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/inter...297664,00.html
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/....ap/index.html
http://www.muhajabah.com/islamicblog...lah/008824.php
http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=30274
http://www.islam-online.net/English/...rticle08.shtml
http://www.islamonline.net/English/N...rticle03.shtml

They have denounced all of these terrorist actions, but you expect them to hunt down all terrorists in their midst and kill them, then change their culture to deal with the root cause of terrorism... which is what???

Hatred and fear.

If you can figure out how to remove these from ANY culture, you are a better man than me.
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old September 8, 2004, 11:30 PM   #42
gburner

Lip service is all well and good. Action is what is needed. Arafat, for example, speaks in English of peace and cooperation with the Israeli's but in Arabic calls for jihad. We need to be more observant of deeds than words. I know that Arafat is not a cleric, but his behavior is demonstrative of the two faced rhetoric that comes from the Arab power elite. Cite all of the references that you want. I want to see action.
Old September 9, 2004, 12:01 AM   #43
Handy

Are you sure you want to bring the Israeli occupation of Palestinian lands into this? It's not like either side has clean hands. Israel violates its own laws by taking ever increasing amounts of Palestinian territory and allowing "settlers" to keep and defend it. The death toll on either side seems pretty even, and the Palestinian lands are shrinking.
Old September 9, 2004, 06:28 AM   #44
Real Gun

Quote:
Arafat, for example, - gburner
Is there really a Muslim connection? I think you are turning this into another general "raghead" rant, ignoring balancing posts, and hijacking a thread. A sweeping indictment of Americans is equally inappropriate. There should be some real connection with Pat Buchanan. A hint of gun content would be nice too...or have we lost track of the topic?
Old September 9, 2004, 12:06 PM   #45
gburner

Real gun...complaint department is down the hall. I'm not hijacking anything. The thread was started by me to initiate discussion about the error in Mr. Buchanan's thinking re. our posture and policy in the middle east and wih the war on terror. Gun content? I own a WASR-10. There's your gun content.
Please keep phrases like 'raghead' out of the discussion as they are racist and incindiary. Do you have anything of substance to add to the discussion?
Handy,
Bringing up Arafat was meant to be illustrative of how some of the power elite among the Arabs, both political and religious, say one thing for PR purposes while taking a diametrically opposed position when inciting their followers. If they were honest brokers and truely wanted to see a cessation in violence and turmoil in their collective countries, they would work to solve their problems from within instead of blaming the western/zionist/US boogey man. An honest sharing of the benefits derived from oil wealth could turn that region into a paradise for it's inhabitants, yet the wealth is squandered on lavish lifestyles, huge Swiss bank accounts and the obscene ostentation that comes as a result of riches, boredom and entitlement. The 'clerics' abuse the masses by feeding them a steady diet of victimization and instead of looking at themselves and their governments, they point the finger at the west. The Palestinian/Israeli cluster huddle is certainly an important issue in all this, but not the main topic of the thread.
Old September 9, 2004, 12:26 PM   #46
Fred Hansen

Quote:
They have denounced all of these terrorist actions, but you expect them to hunt down all terrorists in their midst and kill them, then change their culture to deal with the root cause of terrorism... which is what???

Hatred and fear.

If you can figure out how to remove these from ANY culture, you are a better man than me.
No need to remove them. Simply a need to remove the sense of entitlement these animals have to act out their hatred and fear. It's called civilization.
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore