The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 25, 2008, 07:17 AM   #51
thallub

"I suggest you start by reading the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Don't relie on what others say, read them yourself, they are not hard to understand. These documents are are loaded with proscriptions on the actions of goverment and noteably absent are restrictions on individuals."

Very good post. I might add that one should read the Federalist Papers. These explain the positions of the framers of the US Constitution. The term "the people" as used in the US Constitution really does mean the people.

I find it very strange that organizations like the ACLU argue that the term "the people" means just that except where the Second Amendment is concerned.
Old April 25, 2008, 12:10 PM   #52
SPUSCG

when the constitution was made everyone had the same guns, military and civilian, aand that shouldn't change
Old April 25, 2008, 12:41 PM   #53
Lavid2002

Thanks

Wow, allot fo GREAT answers...here were some of my fav.
*People owning cars that go above the speed limit
*Militia and army having the same weapons when the constitution was written
*After semi's lever actions, bolts, and pumps will simply be next untill there all gone
Great responces
I also like the one about it infringing on the persuit of happyness. But so are some drugs, in arguement to that I like the comment of them being used for happyness, but when used responcibly. Like a car, computer, knife, etc... : D
Thanks fellas!
Old April 25, 2008, 03:46 PM   #54
Buzzcook

Because they're fun to shoot
Old April 25, 2008, 04:03 PM   #55
jfrey123

Quote:
But so are some drugs
I'll playfully challenge that there is no amendment to our constitution that claims we have a right to drug use, while there is an amendment specifically outlining our right to guns.

I'll also second (and third, and fourth) the motion, that the right to bear arms "Shall Not Be Infringed", and that is why we SHOULD be allowed to own semi automatic firearms. When they get the caseless gun thing figured out, I'll fully expect to own one of those things too... As long as it's made in a version that is not full-auto
Old April 25, 2008, 07:41 PM   #56
redhart

why?

Because I want to. And given the facts that the bad guys have FULL autos(west hollywood) we are still at a disadvantage.Thank God for the NRA or we would be on a knife,rock and slingshot website right now.
Old April 25, 2008, 09:07 PM   #57
shortwave

because the b/g`s have them, its my right to, they`re not (and should not be) illegal, love to shoot and collect them. take your pick.
Old April 25, 2008, 10:50 PM   #58
huchahuchax

Quote:
Why should civilians be able to posess semi-automatic firearms.
Strange question. I've been struggling for a good answer for almost an hour and I've just realized I can't give a good answer because I don't understand the question. It is like asking "Why should asians be allowed to own electric toothbrushes?" HUH!?! I don't get it.
Semi-automatic firearms are just one type of firearm. How does a group of people who are biased against firearms and have probably never shot one before determine that this particular firearm design is "BAD"? What is the measure of said "BADNESS"? Is it capacity? It can't be, because that does not make any sense. If I go to the firing range with a 9mm semi auto and a .44 mag revolver and 50 rounds for each, how many rounds will I leave with? The answer is zero. I'm just going to keep reloading and shooting until I'm done reloading and shooting, so the issue of capacity makes no sense. Is perceived lethality the measure of "BADNESS"? It can't be, because that does not make sense. There are plenty of firearms that are not semi-automatic but are way more powerful (the .44 magnum in the previous example for instance). I have to be missing something, because the only explanation I can come up with on why semi-automatic firearms, which have been around for over 100 years, are "BAD" is pure ignorant superstition - and it will be a cold day in hell before I give mine up for that.
Old April 27, 2008, 12:15 AM   #59
homefires

This Thread is getting old!

A. I want one.

B. I am no threat to anyone, background check or not. You have no Idea who I am, where I am from, what I am capable of! I have no Idea who you are, where your from, or what your capable of!

C. Why should I not have one?

D. The B.G. have what ever they like.

E. Just like the LEO, I want to be on equal grounds!

I'm not asking for a Mac -10 if I wanted one I should be allowed to have one.

I'm not asking for a UZI, if I wanted one I should be allowed to have one.

A universal semi auto is good enough for me. Hunting, Home defence, Bad man , Home invasion thing!

I don't need any ones permission to defend my self!

It just happens! As long as the bad man has one I will too. Sorry, I want to keep my family and self alive. That is part of life. No law will prevent me from self preservation!
Old April 27, 2008, 07:42 AM   #60
GoSlash27

The BGs have 'em, the police have 'em, and the army has 'em. Therefore everybody's safer (especially me ) If I have 'em too. Nobody's ever going to impose their will on me and mine because they have a semiauto and I don't.
That's why the 2nd Amendment is in the Bill of Rights.

I *should* be allowed to own full-auto weapons also.
Old April 27, 2008, 11:14 AM   #61
macmuffy

"Why SHOULD people be allowed to own semi automatic firearms"

the 2nd admin. shall not be infringed. Seems that the 1st would apply also.
Let's turn the question around; Why SOULD people be allowed to own copy machines?
(side note. aren't most copy machines automatic?)

Maybe this post needs to be directed to the AWB posts.

Old April 28, 2008, 03:51 AM   #62
ImDisaster

Because we live in a country that believes in personal freedom. Because we live in a country that believes in equality for all.

How is a 110 pound, grandmother supposed to protect herself from a 300lb raving criminal. Her right to own a handgun is based on her right to be able to defend herself as well as a younger stronger person. Are we to tell her, "Sorry, Grandma, you don't get to defend yourself." Might as well take away her handicapped parking space. Same goes for the young lady who is facing rape. "Sorry, if you aren't physically strong enough to stop the bad guy you just have to be raped...or killed."

Having personal arms is the equalizer. It is, in this country, people's right to be equal. Taking away that right is discrimination against all the smaller weaker people.