The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 22, 2023, 12:44 PM   #1
Shadow9mm

Dry fire mag?

Seen some adds for these lately. A dry fire mag for striker fired guns. Lets you keep pulling the trigger without having to rack the slide. Pretty interesting concept. It is a bit expensive at $100, but if its decent and you use it regularly it should pay for itself pretty quickly. I just ordered one. I will report back on how i like it, or dont, we shall see.

https://www.dryfiremag.com/
Old April 22, 2023, 01:44 PM   #2
ballardw

I have been thinking of getting one of the laser trainers but one of the concerns I have with those would be getting into the habit of manually cycling the slide, or at least starting to, with each round. This magazine sounds like a strong candidate for pairing with a laser system.

Now I just need to them to make a mag for my preferred out of production pistol (not likely) :{
Old April 22, 2023, 07:04 PM   #3
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballardw View Post
I have been thinking of getting one of the laser trainers but one of the concerns I have with those would be getting into the habit of manually cycling the slide, or at least starting to, with each round. This magazine sounds like a strong candidate for pairing with a laser system.

Now I just need to them to make a mag for my preferred out of production pistol (not likely) :{
They make a kit with their own laser that work together. but it just looks like its only available for a few glock models right now. And its a fair bit more expensive at $275, and out of stock.

https://www.dryfiremag.com/product/s...your%20pistol.
Old April 23, 2023, 11:28 AM   #4
Jim Watson

I vaguely recall that they were once in cahoots with Mantis but nothing listed now.
You could add the Mantis to a rail and have both.
Old April 23, 2023, 02:48 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
A dry fire mag for striker fired guns. Lets you keep pulling the trigger without having to rack the slide. Pretty interesting concept.
I took the link, watched the video, noticed a couple things that kill my interest.

First, it appears to be only for GLocks. I don't do GLocks.

Second, and more importantly for me, the trigger pull produced using their dry fire mag is different than the normal trigger pull of the gun. I do give them credit for pointing that out in the video, though.

But for me, that is a deal breaker. IF they made (Or someday make) their dry fire mag for a pistol I do use, if it produced a different trigger pull than the gun normally does, its a very poor training aid, and could even be counter productive.

As I see it, the point to dry firing (snapping in) is for everything to be as close to live fire as possible, without actually firing live ammo.

One thing I noticed is that the dry fire mag had a different reset point than the stock gun did. I see that as a potential problem/training issue. IF you are one of the shooters who trains to release the trigger only to its reset point, you might put yourself in a bad situation training with the dry fire mag.

The video showed the dry fire mag causing the trigger to reset earlier and the pull being lighter than what the gun did when not using the training mag.

THAT is a potential issue, as I see it.
Old April 23, 2023, 07:16 PM   #6
Shadow9mm

It is not glock only. Glock, sig p320, spring xd, and m&p.

The trigger pull is supposed to be somewhat adjustable to mimic the factory pull.

I did not notice the reset point difference.

I will do my best to keep these things in mind while im testing it out. Its supposed to be delivered Wednesday.

Its got potential, but it could fall flat on its face depending on how its designed. But i figured it was only 4hrs of overtime to pay for it. Not a huge loss if its a flop. Goodness knows ov wasted more time chasing my tail on other projects.
Old April 24, 2023, 06:24 PM   #7
Shadow9mm

Well, it came in today. Followed the instruction to make sure it was properly calibrated, it was out of box. Trigger pull came in at 5.5 lb same as factory. It eliminates the initial take up in the Glock triggers. it gives a distinctive click on trigger pull when the sear breaks and on the reset. I did 50 pulls in a row to simulate a box of ammo. My trigger finger got tired much faster than I expected so if nothing else it will be a good workout for my trigger finger. I also noticed more front sight wobble when pulling the trigger faster which I was able to work on a bit already.

My goal is to do 50 trigger pulls per day for the next 10 days, to simulate 500rnds so this thing pays for itself (hand load prices). I am also hoping I will be able to see an improvement in that time frame.
Old April 26, 2023, 07:59 PM   #8
Pistoler0

I have had a dry fire mag for a Glock 21 for about three weeks.

No, it doesn't replicate the stock trigger. I had to adjust the trigger pre-take and use a heavier spring (proived) on the mag for it to feel closer to the Glock trigger. Funny thing is that my stock trigger breaks at around 5.5lbs but I had to use a heaver spring on the dry fire mag (so that it breaks at 6.5lbs ) for it to "feel" similar.

I find it useful for learning to control against sight wobble when pressing the trigger, and for practicing quick double-taps when drawing from concealment.

Indeed very very useful for training shooting after drawing from concealment.