The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 29, 2023, 03:40 PM   #26
2damnold4this

I wonder what Cooper would have thought about some of the LPVO scopes we have today. Would he have taken one of those over an IER scope?
Old July 29, 2023, 08:44 PM   #27
DonR101395

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2damnold4this View Post
I wonder what Cooper would have thought about some of the LPVO scopes we have today. Would he have taken one of those over an IER scope?

That’s what I did d on mine, a 1-8 is much more useful than a 2 or 2.75 scout scope. Especially if you’re using a box mag fed gun like the Ruger GSR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 29, 2023, 09:52 PM   #28
HiBC

I'm not arguing "Better vs best" ,just sharing one of my "Scout scope rifle"
experiences.
I built a couple of .375 Taylor rifles after an Alaska bear experience that was not a hunt.
One rifle was built on a 1903A3 action . (From when they were a$50 gunshow option)
Brownells offered a pre-barrel contoured quarter rib,(Dakota? Maybe) for mounting the classic express sights. IIRC it was 1/2 in wide.
Warne,at the time,used a proprietary 1/2 in wide dovetail for its lever QD rings.

HMMM. So the Dakota Rib was fitted to a #4 Shilen stainless barrel and the Warne dovetail was machined into the quarter rib.
A folding open sight was also fitted to the quarter rib. Front sight was an NECG banded ramp with changable front blades,

A Leupold 2 3/4 x Scout scope went into the Warne rings,
At the time,I could still buy a Fajen stock. I got a walnut/walnut laminate,about 5/16 laminations, a slender schnabel forend,no cheekpiece.
Similar to a G+H or FWT M-70.

I admit Scout rifles just don't look right. Like an ugly car.

But we took a couple of tires and fitted cardboard targets to them.

At the ranch was a hill we could roll the tire targets down. Moving,bouncing targets. Like the sporting clays rabbit.

We were launching 270 gr bullets at about 2650 fps.

It was 2 eyes open,like wing shooting with crosshairs. And a .375

It worked really well! It was a day of grins and giggles! For what I had in mind,that package was a success.

And,per Mr Cooper ,for a 300 yd capable practical rifle,it just works.

Even if its ugly.

Not every gun has to be tailored to shooting fruit flies at 650 yds.

I gave that rifle to a friend I never went back to AK.

Last edited by HiBC; July 29, 2023 at 10:01 PM.
Old July 31, 2023, 10:46 PM   #29
bamaranger

Aagard

Finn A. in one of those from the mid '90's articls did compare a fixed 3x with a 2-3/4x IeR, , whose I do not recall. It was not snap shooting, but picking out a target of some type in a mildly shaded spot at some reasonable distance. I've put up all my articles and not gonna dig them out again, but.......

Aagard commented that the old Leupold 3x beat whatever IER he was using in that instance in terms of picking out /observing the target clearly. Regards LPV's, seems if I recall in one of the driveby commentaries in Cooper's Corner that an LPV mounted conventionally on a carbine was a useful arrangement and while it did not offer some of the handiness of an IER, he was mildly positive. Cooper also was complimentary of the old M94 30-30 with peep sights. He has a picture of same in his book "Art of the Rifle".

I'd mentioned prior that my Dad, in about 1970 used what was likely a Buhler mount forward of the receiver and a Leupold 2X pistol scope on a M94 in .44 mag. It gave him fits. Unknow to either of us he was cross dominant, and finding that optic window up front was a challenge. Additionally, he never reall solved an insufficient elevation problem with the mount and after repeated attempts at shimming, went with a side mount, which was still a struggle. He traded the carbine, before I knew about it. Steel butt plate, saddle ring (with a leather thong) ....
Old August 1, 2023, 08:34 PM   #30
JohnKSa
Staff

I'm going to have to read Aagard's books again. He was quite a writer.
Old August 1, 2023, 10:20 PM   #31
bamaranger

Finn

Only read his articles in the "Rifleman", of which there were quite a few for several years.
Old August 2, 2023, 09:05 PM   #32
JohnKSa
Staff

There are, I think, three books that are really just compilations of his articles.

He did write another book that was almost a sort of autobiography. His wife added to that book after he died and published it under a different title. The result was sort of a biography/autobiography of the two of them. Given his (and his wife's) interest in hunting, and his interest in rifles, there was plenty of hunting/gun content in it.
Old August 7, 2023, 06:13 PM   #33
Unclenick
Staff

The topic is interesting. I took an M1A to the 270 class at Gunsite in 1993, extra weight, 20-round magazines, iron sights and all, but still won the shoot-off at the conclusion of the class. A number of folks who had more money than I did at the time had Scout rifles built for them by The Smithy that they collected when they arrived for the class, and I recall being envious of the greater ease with which they could mount their lighter rifles from the guard position for snap firing. I'd been allowed to try it with one.

Fast forward a decade, and the Steyr Scout came out in its Jeff Cooper version, and remembering liking the handling of the ones at The Ranch, I acquired one. It shoots very well and mounts fast for me. I tend to be a "stock crawler," and the long eye relief helps me prevent inadvertent eyebrow dings.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Tags
burris , jeff cooper , ler , optics. , scout rifle