The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 7, 2023, 09:42 PM   #1
gfen

Firearm storage for 20+ handguns, 10 long guns.

Wow, its been almost a decade since I last posted here... had some kids, things got expensive, y'know, is what it is.

The question is simple, I need something to store the firearms in. My father passed away, and has left a significant number to my children and I.

Additionally, the kids have grown up to the point where the wood cabinet and trigger locks don't seem to be enough. I trust them, but... Responsibility falls to be safe.

I'm not made of money, the steel locker style safes would likely do me perfectly fine but my biggest question is HOW do people with large collections store all this stuff?

Seems like most of the things I look at for under $300 might hold enough, or even too many, long guns but there's simply no pistol storage other than a small shelf in most all of them.

I've seen devices that look like they sit on a shelf and you can "slot" your uncased handguns into them, but even then I don't see how you can use more shelves.

Is there some sort of modular answer out there? How the hell are you people with vastly larger collections storing this stuff?

Thanks in advance.
Old August 7, 2023, 11:12 PM   #2
tangolima

Stack On has a model that holds 14 rifles. With some modifications, you can cramp more than 16 rifles in there. About $200 I think.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old August 8, 2023, 07:04 AM   #3
Wag

Part of the investment in a large collection includes security. Some safes out there run into the $5,000 or more territory.

For now, though, the steel lockers are probably your best bet as long as you can bolt them down very securely.

--Wag--
Old August 8, 2023, 10:19 AM   #4
ballardw

Not advocating the brand but easy to find an example that looks like:
https://stack-on.com/product/10-gun-...curity-cabinet

There are two sections, one for long guns and multi-shelf area that should handle the handguns in cases.
Old August 8, 2023, 08:33 PM   #5
Lurch37

I used to hear "for the price of one nice rifle you can have a nice safe". I'm not sure that holds true anymore but safe prices are all over the place.

If $300 is your budget a locker type storage cabinet might fit the bill.

I've always told people you have to decide how much protection you want, i.e. are you protecting against fire, thief, high security, all three of those, or just looking for a somewhat secure place to put them?

Also, around here it seems a lot of farm supply and sporting good places have deep discounts on their safes on Black Friday, but I'm not sure you want to wait that long.
Old August 9, 2023, 09:22 PM   #6
FITASC

A $300 locker can be cut with tin snips. call around to see what locksmiths have used safes they took in on trade.

If you plan on adding more guns then plan accordingly - whatever capacity they SAY they in their safes (especially for long-guns) cut that by 1/2 to 1/3 of that claim. Example - a scoped AR will take up 2-3 of the capacity depending on layout
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 9, 2023, 11:16 PM   #7
veprdude

Most "Gun Safes" sold are not technically safes. The better ones are "Residential Security Cabinets" - UL listed as RSC. Most are basically thick file cabinets with some level of fire protection. Fire protection is dubious. Most damage from fires comes from water damage from the FD soaking the house.

I did a lot of research on gun safes. If they aren't TL rated, they're all basically the same class. $600 Costco safe to $5000 Liberty safe.

Think of it in terms of door locks. A $500 deadbolt is not much different than a $30 when both can be kicked in easily. The door and doorframe are the limiting reactant here. Most home burglaries last less than 10 minutes.

I've concluded these facts:

1. Concealment is key. Cheapo safe you can't find beats $10k monster in your living room that's not bolted down.

2. Bolt it down. Put it in a corner. The door is the weakest part. Reduce access to prying the door and you're already winning.

3. Buy time. Upgrade security that makes it more difficult and time consuming to access your house. Maybe that means a dummy safe in the open filled with rocks.

4. Make access easy enough for you so that you actually store guns in them.

For a super cheap storage option, you might consider a KNAACK tool box. It basically has the same level of protection a low end RSC "safe" has and it doesn't screams GUNS!
Old August 10, 2023, 08:38 PM   #8
FITASC

Quote:
For a super cheap storage option, you might consider a KNAACK tool box. It basically has the same level of protection a low end RSC "safe" has and it doesn't screams GUNS!
True, but it DOES scream EXPENSIVE TOOLS INSIDE; the burglars second favorite item
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 11, 2023, 06:31 AM   #9
stuckinthe60s

if its light and small, crooks can just carry it away.
invest is the key word......in a safe.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old August 11, 2023, 10:25 AM   #10
Ricklin

Good advice from Veprdude above.
Old August 12, 2023, 08:21 PM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

Stack-on is a reasonable compromise. If it looks too easily compromised, paint it yellow and put a striped sign on that says "Solvents. Flammable" and "Avoid Making Sparks or Using Flame Within Twenty Feet of the Door," or any other distraction that would account for a locked cabinet. They may still beak in, but they'll go slow and be at least a little cautious and delay is the name of the game.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 13, 2023, 05:46 PM   #12
ballardw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
Stack-on is a reasonable compromise. If it looks too easily compromised, paint it yellow and put a striped sign on that says "Solvents. Flammable" and "Avoid Making Sparks or Using Flame Within Twenty Feet of the Door," or any other distraction that would account for a locked cabinet. They may still beak in, but they'll go slow and be at least a little cautious and delay is the name of the game.
I know of one guy that ran some conduit into the sides of a case like the Stack-on and put high voltage signs on the cabinet.
Old August 19, 2023, 10:37 AM   #13
Ricklin

Lots of good suggestions here. Concealment combined with security is wise. The installation location of your safe can be as important as the safe, perhaps more. That and bags of Silica gel desiccant to keep the tin worm at bay.
Old August 24, 2023, 03:43 PM   #14
Prof Young

How secure can you make your man cave?

It has occurred to me that if I wanted to I could make my man-cave, where I reload and build fishing rods, into a vault of sorts. A solid core or steel door and a couple bars over the one window and it would be done. For now the 25 or so firearms are in four steel stack on style safes.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old August 24, 2023, 06:51 PM   #15
ballardw

Just remember a not-really-big hammer can break through drywall and 16" on center studs allow a person to step through the wall sideways.

That assumes you anchor a solid enough door in such a way it doesn't just kick-in and makes is worth while to bother.
Old August 26, 2023, 03:45 PM   #16
tazbigdog

Try Craigslist or auctions for a decent safe.