The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 12, 2023, 05:59 AM   #1
txray22

cross draw for revolver

My shoulder won't let me draw well from the 4 o'clock position anymore. I'm looking for a cross draw holster for a small revolver. I like leather for revolvers. Any suggestions?
Old October 12, 2023, 08:47 PM   #2
Bob Wright

I used to carry the Don Hume holsters, which are available for cross draw. Which gun are you looking to be carrying? Of late my go-to holster maker has been Doc Barranti, though I've never had him make me one for anything but a Single Action Ruger.

Bob Wright
Old October 13, 2023, 05:46 AM   #3
txray22

I want to carry a J-frame or LCR. I'm looking at a Desantis holster now. Looks good and is OWB.
Old October 13, 2023, 03:00 PM   #4
L-2

https://www.desantisholster.com/roscoe-cross-draw/
Post 3, I've used various/many holster brands over the years. DeSantis makes good stuff.

Post 2, Don Hume also has some good stuff. DonHume has a behind-the-back type holster which probably could be inverted and worn, instead, as a cross draw. I didn't see it listed for a Ruger LCR, however, but did have it for an S&W J-frame. Call DonHume first to be sure as maybe they inadvertently forgot to list the LCR.
https://www.donhume.com/index.php?ma...products_id=51

The OP may need to buy a holster for each gun, the LCR and J-frame, as there are likely some minute sizing/shape differences between the two revolvers.
Old October 13, 2023, 10:17 PM   #5
FITASC

My dad carried his off duty gun on his right side (left handed shooter); he simply moved it from his left side to his right for a crossdraw set-up. Wouldn't lacing your current holster on your left side give you same result?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 15, 2023, 08:29 AM   #6
ballardw

If your holster carries the pistol with no or small amount of front to rear "rake" angle then mounting on the other side of the belt may work but be mildly annoying. If you have a lot of rake then the other side presentation and draw could well be next to impossible.

Shoulder problems could make mild annoyance "nearly impossible" depending on the actual problem.
Old October 17, 2023, 07:45 AM   #7
GeauxTide

Have used El Paso Saddlery for many years. They custom fit to your particular pistol/revolver.
Old October 25, 2023, 05:56 PM   #8
fastbolt

There's no shortage of leather crossdraw holsters to be found if you do some searching online.

I picked up a new/old stock leather crossdraw for my short J's a while back, mostly because it was made by a long-closed leather maker who made a lot of leather gear in the greater SF Bay Area when I was a young cop. Earl Ginn, whose shop was located in a warehouse part of Belmont. I stumbled across it when someone posted it on another forum, and got in touch with the online vendor who works to acquire such things for his website and his ebay sites. He said he'd picked up a supply of some remaining New/Old stock of this vintage pattern crossdraw, and I quickly ordered one.

It's based upon an old and well-used style, made popular a few decades ago. I primarily use it when the weather and my clothing make it appropriate, when I'm enjoying some hours in one of the big chairs at my cigar club. The design of the rear belt slot allows for some slight adjustment in the cant.

In practical terms, the type of retention and the potential greater exposure to a frontal grab (by an attacker) make crossdraw a bit more problematic for CCW, and some crossdraw holsters include more retention (like thumb snaps), or a more 'directional' draw. Just depends on you and your desires.

FWIW, I used to like crossdraw for my first short-barreled Blackhawk, back in the days when my dad and I enjoyed a lot of Jeeping trips into the backwoods. I often wish I hadn't allowed that holster, handmade for some hardware shop many decades ago, slip through my hands, dammit.
Old October 25, 2023, 08:54 PM   #9
1972RedNeck

Have you tried a cavalry draw? I have trouble drawing normally from 2 to 5 o'clock as well, but if I carry butt forward, I can draw smooth as butter. I used to default to crossdraw as well, but now prefer the cavalry draw.