The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 26, 2023, 09:15 PM   #1
jason.h

Spotting scope what magnification?

Hi all,
I'm getting into longest and shooting and want to pick up a spotting scope. I see a lot that go to 60 times. Magnification. I'm wondering how far 60 would be good for?
My local range goes up to 300 yards, do you think 60 times would be good for that?
Thanks
Old September 26, 2023, 09:53 PM   #2
tangolima

For me it is pretty easy. The exit pupil of the optics is better larger than my eye pupil. I'm close to 60 years old. My eye pupil diameter is around 3mm with good lighting, larger in dim light.

With a big objective lens, say 80mm. The max workable magnification is

80 / 3 < 30

I can possibly push 40x under bright sun light, anything above that is counter productive.

Get a target camera. It works much better than spotting scope. I only keep a spotting scope as a backup.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old September 26, 2023, 09:55 PM   #3
MarkCO

Are you trying to use it as a spotter to call hits on steel, or to look at groups, count holes?

I shoot a good amount of long range, including matches and ROing same. I use 10x or 12x binos or a 10X monocular mini spotter. While I have 40x and 60x, I hardly ever use them for anything. FOV too small, past 300, I am usually shooting steel, with a good 10x on a tripod, you can see trace, which is also a benefit.

With a quality scope at 20x, you can see hits at 300 yards, maybe get one of those.

If you want to see groups on paper, get a target camera.
Old September 26, 2023, 11:13 PM   #4
mehavey

16x-45X for most anything you will ever need/practically encounter... soup to nuts

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics...08DVCLB3W?th=1
Old September 27, 2023, 08:12 AM   #5
HiBC

The comment that EXIT PUPIL will determine the highest magnification you can take advantage of is correct.
The OBJECTIVE LENSE diameter divided by the magnification will tell you exit pupil size.

Lighting conditions will determine your eye pupil size. It will vary between approx 2mm and 7mm.

A common general purpose binocular might be a 7x by 35 mm. It would have a 5mm exit pupil. My 6x by 42 mm rifle scope is good in low light. It has a 7mm exit pupil.

I have 2 spotting scopes. One is a fairly high end Kowa with a 77mm Fluorite crystal objective lens . The ocular is a 15 to 60 x zoom.
I can typically see 22 cal holes in the bull out to 300 yds. If I use an orange on white sight in target, its no problem to set targets at 300 yards and sight in perfectly without going down range again.

When th light is just right (rarely) I can see 30 cal bullet holes in the black bull at 500 yds.

But I don't gain any better image above 40 to 45x. The 60 X does not gain me anything.

I have another spotting scope. Its an old Bausch and Lomb NRA model. 60 mm objective, Fixed power 20X . It was made in the 1920's.
With an orange on white target, I can count on seeing 22 cal holes easily at 200 yds plus.

IMO,using a tripod on a target that holds still, FOV is not a big factor, My KOWA has a raised "pointing bead" that helps find the target.

Just getting "more" of something (x's or mm) only helps if its reasonably good quality.

I would not go less than 60 mm objective, Go more if you can afford it.

At 300 yds,? speculating...I don't know of you wear glasses. You can get longer eye relief with the right 20X to 30X fixed eyepiece, or you can get a wide angle with more FOV.
There are tradeoffs to everything. A 15 to 45 X zoom is a good compromise.

I'd call 60 mm minimum. 66mm or 77mm ...even 80 mm are great but cost a lot.
I'm sold on Kowa.
I have no experience with ordering this way,but you can find good prices on E-bay ordering direct from Japan. I suppose you could get screwed,too.

If there is a club or group you will shoot with,go see what works for them.

If you will be shooting spotting for yourself, a 45 deg eyepiece is good

I like mine.

Last edited by HiBC; September 27, 2023 at 08:22 AM.
Old September 27, 2023, 10:14 AM   #6
tangolima

Thank you! Finally someone shares same thoughts.

-TL

Old September 27, 2023, 01:50 PM   #7
jpx2rk

I can shoot out to 200yds with a paper target, 300yds will be dirt clods or sticks on the hill behind the 200 yd boards. I have a Athlon 20-60, and I can clearly see the stick/dirt clods on the hill at 300 yds with mine at 40-50x depending on weather conditions. Seeing bullet holes at 300 yds or more for me would be very difficult due to old eyes. You may need to experiment with different colored targets to possibly enhance your view of the target at 300yds.
Old September 27, 2023, 02:18 PM   #8
Ricklin

Thank me later

I am very much an optics and imaging guy, and this particular spotting scope is as absolute screaming deal on Amazon.
SVbony brand 20-60 X 80mm spotting scope SV406. Less than 100 bucks!. I am flat amazed! Try getting anywhere close to this for less then 300, it is that good.
Get a good solid tripod for it. The tripod that comes with cheap spotters is suitable to put your chronograph on, that way you will not care much when you shoot it. Put a phone mount on the eyepiece for 20 bucks and golden. No tripod included, it comes with a nice case that works well and offers weather protection in use.
Nothing in this for me, I bought this on a lark and am really happy with it. I have purchased from them before and am happy.
Old September 29, 2023, 09:25 AM   #9
ocharry

i have a couple too..one is a Nikon 20x60..pretty nice scope..had it for years...little more compact but very clear.... 22 holes at 100-150 no problem

the other is one of the NRA baush and lomb...old scope but still very good...my old B&L is a 30x60....it still is very clear...22 holes at 200...no problem..still

so...Ricklin...i been wanting a cheap angled scope to use while prone or on the bench to not have to come off the gun so much and i went to look at this scope you talked about

they ....amazon had a 60% off tag with it....so i got one coming with a phone adaptor....oh it had 10% off too....so out the door it was less than $65...yep its in the mail

we shall see...cant be too bad for the money i guess..im sure it is not the quality of more expensive scopes....but glass has come a long way in the last 30 years...and this scope says it has HD glass...i wish it was ED but its not...they do offer one with ED..looked like same scope different glass or coatings...but it was 369 and had a $85 coupon i think it was....for what i wanted this for the cheaper model should be fine...and im not as hard on things as i used to be...well i wasnt really hard on stuff but my old toys do have a lot of miles on them...traveling miles...i will thank you later...lol

ocharry

Last edited by ocharry; September 29, 2023 at 09:43 AM.
Old September 30, 2023, 09:05 AM   #10
Ricklin

Post up when you get it ocharry, I really think you will be impressed.
Old October 1, 2023, 09:30 AM   #11
ocharry

i will post back...says it will be here wend.

i been thinkin on this and let me do an... I REMEMBER

i remember when i first saw a KOWA....been a few days back...one of the guys brought his new scope to a shoot...got it out and said hey guys ( the little group that was always ribbing each other ) check this out...we were all looking through it,,,nobody had ever heard of KOWA....he said he got it because his old scope got messed up and he didnt want to spend a lot of money on a new high end scope....lol....little did we know.....so the question was ok Freddy how much was this one....he said well it wasnt real cheap either but i think i remember it was under $400 for the scope - eyepiece, cover and a case

should have got one then... my old Bauch was working good..and you know things were tight..buyin powder and lead and travel and entry fees..so i didnt...lol...yep those were the days...eyes worked really good...cup of coffee and a bowl of oatmeal and a piece of toast and smell of burnt powder....ahhhh..what a memory... good for the day...lol.....

ocharry
Old October 1, 2023, 11:46 AM   #12
Ricklin

I hear ya man. Fortunately the Chinese mostly copied the Japanese for optics.
Old October 2, 2023, 04:49 PM   #13
jason.h

Thanks y'all ended up finding a great deal on an old Japanese 60x spotting scope, haven't taken it out yet but hoping it'll do the job to see hits on paper
Old October 3, 2023, 12:39 PM   #14
Ricklin

I hope you got a great price Jason. Before spending more than 100 on a used spotter take a look at these Chinese spotters, amazing for the buck.
Unlike our guns, optics technology has seen radical change for the better. Coatings, lenses and prisms are just that much better today. Then of course darn near any company can afford supercomputer time for optics designs. I can improve my old Mauser's but barely, new springs to improve lock time, maybe a trigger. Glass? Toss the old stuff, a hundred dollar scope today will be better. A 250.00 dollar today scope will beat anything that could have been on it from back in the day.
Old October 4, 2023, 01:18 AM   #15
jason.h

I agree new is better with accessories, but picked it up for 35 bucks so worth the risk, also the old ones look cool haha
Old October 4, 2023, 12:25 PM   #16
Ricklin

For 35 bucks? Twice on Sunday, good on ya!
A great place to look for a good tripod. Thrift Stores. Most of the tripods are junk, look for good heavy used tripods. A spotting scopes best friend is a good tripod.
I picked up a Manfrotto pro video tripod with fluid motion both directions at my favorite thrift store for 5 bucks. Heck the camera plates cost me 20 for 2 of them. It is superb.
Old October 4, 2023, 11:03 PM   #17
tangolima

Good point on tripod. I have found almost no tripod good enough, especially when magnification is set high. Our club provides scope mounts directly bolted to column. Much better, but still iffy. That pushed me getting a target camera.

I saw a guy using drone for such use. It is very handy when shooting long range across difficult terrains.

-TL

Old October 5, 2023, 11:59 AM   #18
Ricklin

Microscopes

Prior to retirement dental equipment was my gig. Dental operating microscopes were always a challenge to mount to a wall or ceiling. A solid mount is critical, as magnification goes up. Those dental scopes were only 10-12 X maximum magnification and mounting was a huge issue. Spotters routinely go up to 60 X mag.
Old October 6, 2023, 09:27 AM   #19
ocharry

well...im back

first thing i want to do is fix a thing i said earlier...i did buy the scope that Ricklin told us about...and it did come with a coupon...but it was not 60% off...i dont know where i got that...or if i had a brain fart.....it did however come with a 45% off.....which made the scope $54 and change+tax

first i want to THANK you Ricklin...good heads up

i been playing with the scope for a couple days...and i got to say it is well worth the $99.99 with out the coupon...this thing is a light gathering machine...crisp and clear..

i set it up right next to my old 20power Nikon...i put the new scope on 20power too...the old Nikon is probably 25-30 years old but still very usable and clear....it is a 20x60....and the new scope is 20-60x80...so there is that....but i think looking through both setting side by side the new scope is brighter and clearer.....i am very impressed with this scope...especially for the $55 it cost with the coupon...so much so i went back and sent one to my boy...lol...i run this thing through the paces...20-60...it is pretty dang good no matter where the wheel is set...even at $99.99...but for $55...it is a no brainer

i will say this...i ordered a phone mount that amazon recommended with this scope....DO NOT GET THIS WITH THE SCOPE..it will not fit the eye piece.....i was disappointed...but it will work on the Nikon or the baush so all is not lost...it was cheap anyway.....the eye piece on the SVbony is 53.3mm in dia....that is 2.098" or 2.1...so if you order a phone mount make sure it will fit the big eyepiece on this scope...just a heads up

this is a win here guys...not sure if the coupon is still active...it was yesterday when i sent the scope to my boy

so there ya go...i ordered one ( well really two ) and said i would report back....if you want or need a new spotter you should check these guys out...they have several models...this is the cheapest but it is good...really good for the money

my .02....oh yeah...lol..Thanks Ricklin..lol

ocharry
Old October 6, 2023, 12:15 PM   #20
Ricklin

Should have warned you on the cell phone holder, SVbony does not have a big enough one for the ocular on this scope. One can make up a quickie long distance camera I put the small one I bought on one eyepiece of binoculars. Works pretty well. Other sellers have big enough ones for this scope.
I especially like the dual speed focuser, it's a nice touch. The zoom is pretty easy to turn also. Very usable for birding and general spotting thanks to the easy to use zoom and focuser.
The case is even really good, offers good weather protection while in use.

If you are looking for a spotter and are on a budget, this is a SWEET deal. Hell, I am a fussy sort about optics and I am very happy. Bright, sharp and contrasty and less than 100 bucks.
Old October 7, 2023, 09:43 AM   #21
ocharry

oh yeah ..the case ..i left that out..lol

very nice ..padded..fits good..should keep the dirt and weather off and protect the scope very well

the whole package is very nice as stated

ocharry

Tags
long range , spotting scope