The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 22, 2023, 08:44 AM   #1
Nathan

Holosun vs??

I’m looking at full size pistol sights, not the micro’s….

Looking at Trijicon, I know they are top dog, but my upper limit is probably $500 and even that is double what I’m pretty sure would meet my needs based on my other micro rds.

So, then it becomes me looking at the 407, 507 and 509 series sights. Do I need a closed emitter? Is that really valuable in your experience with these sights? Frankly, if it were, I’d think Trijicon would be all in on that.

So then I’m thinking 407 vs 507….which seems like reticle is the only difference. If you have the mrs, do you like it? I thought I would on the micro, but preferred the dot when comparing side by side.

I’m feeling a bit confused. I’m sure you all have way more time shooting, trying and beating up these rds. Any advice? My problem is I’m always attracted to cheap!

The main concern I have is that this will be going on a 44 mag which is a pretty booming round, IMO.

Looking for advice or to hear your experience.
Old November 22, 2023, 02:37 PM   #2
jmr40

I looked at, even tried several dot type sights. The Holosun brand seemed to be the best compromise between price and performance. But that is just one mans opinion.

I think it is the 507 that has the option of either a dot, or a dot inside a circle. You can set it up either way. The 407 is just the dot with no other option. I bought the 407 1st then ran across a good deal on a 507. I like the 507 MUCH better.

I had trouble picking up just the dot. It would sometimes not be in my view when pulling up the gun and I had no idea which direction I needed to correct to get the dot to show up in my view. At times it would take several seconds to even see the dot.

With the dot inside the circle no matter how far I'm off when I pull the gun up at least part of the circle is in my view. No guessing on which direction I needed to move the gun to get the dot centered. I just found it much faster to get on target.

Of course, I'm using them on 9mm handguns. On your revolver getting on target fast may be less important and some think the dot and circle is too busy. But with the 507 you have both options. It does cost a bit more.

I have no idea how well they will hold up to 44 mag.

Winston Churchill
Old November 23, 2023, 06:11 AM   #3
Nathan

This is interesting advice. I found the MRS a pain in the butt with the micro size, but like this post, I wonder if I would like it in a slightly larger size window.
Old March 13, 2024, 05:48 PM   #4
Nathan

Well, with ~200 rounds downrange, I am happy with the Holo 407 and Allchin mount.