The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 25, 2008, 04:21 AM   #1
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Wheeee! New Gun!!!! Ar Upper On The Way!!!

Finally got my order straight with Del-ton. ZOMG TOO MANY CHOICES! Now it's an M4 upper 1:7 chrome lined barrel, specter gas block, rifle length YHM quad rail free float handguards. Later I will get flip up sights (maybe a detachable fixed front sight). Will go with my RRA lower reciever w/DPMS trigger kit and Tapco adjustable stock

Next project: Rifle length upper with Cav Arms MK II lower and adjustable trigger. still gotta work the details out and how the heck I will be able to afford it but that's half the fun

Now my question: With the 1:7 twist i know heavier bullets perform well. BUT... what do the lighter bullets do? if I find some cheap 55 gr plinkers would they be similar at 100m-200m?
Old September 25, 2008, 07:48 AM   #2
Bitmap

The "cheap" part of cheap plinkers will hurt their accuracy more than the 7" twist.

M193 will work fine in a 7" twist.

I don't know about lightly constructed varmint bullets. I've never tried them in a fast twist barrel. The shorter barrel will hold the velocity down somewhat so the RPMs won't be as high as they would from a 24" long 7" twist.

Try several different types of 55gr and lighter loads i.e. M193, Federal TAP, varmint loads, and let us know how it works.
Old September 25, 2008, 08:03 AM   #3
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
ok cheap was a relative term. As in $20 instead of $40 a box or the equivalent of the cases I am going to be buying. Not feeding wolf ammo to this one. Brass all the way. Yes as soon as it gets here pics and range report will follow. No should I put the 3x-9x or 4x tactical on it? decisions decisions... I LOVE IT