The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 7, 2010, 10:12 PM   #1
Eagleks

Taurus Tracker .357 -- experiences

Anyone have some experience with the Taurus Tracker .357 ??

At a gun show, a friend of one dealer I know quite well, tried to sell me one about the same price I could buy a new one. So, obviously I passed on that deal. But, what I noticed looking at his, there was an amazing amount of "play" and wiggle in the back adjustable sight. Looking at it, as I wiggled it, the "adjusting screws" for the sight were wiggling around in their holes.... totally loose in there.

It made me wonder if this is an issue with this gun, or something this guy had done to it and maybe the reason he wanted to dump it.

I've never seen one this sloppy in any Taurus , or any other gun for that matter. Any "bads" on this gun that I need to be aware of ???
Old March 8, 2010, 10:39 AM   #2
old bear

As much as I hate to say this, being a happy Taurus M- 617 owner, apparently the Q.C. at Taurus can be iffy, and the customer service even worse. Keeping that in mind I would stay from the Tracker you looked at. From your description it sounds as if the internal threads are striped out, if this is the case they will need to be “chased” with a tap if you are lucky; if not they will have be drilled and tapped which means a trip to the gunsmith or machine shop.

Why pay new price for a used revolver to begin with? If the seller was giving at away then it may be worth some consideration.
Old March 8, 2010, 11:01 AM   #3
l98ster

I had a 6" tracker in 22lr and it was horrible. The first 20-30 shots were ok, but it started "shaving" bullets to the point were I couldnt even get on paper at 25 yards. If I shot it with both eyes open looking over the sights, I could see the little 22's veer so far off course that it was begining to be a safety issue. I would regularly get shrapnel from the shaving hitting my hand.

I got rid of that gun in a hurry and bought a SIG Trailside. Couldnt have been happier.

I cant comment on the overall Taurus quality, but what I can tell you is that after that experience, I will never buy another Taurus again. You get what you pay for!!!

-George
Old March 8, 2010, 03:25 PM   #4
PointOneSeven

Depends on what you're looking for, but I prefer the regular frame revolvers from them rather than their slimmed down tracker series. They seem to operate a little smoother IMO.
Old March 8, 2010, 07:35 PM   #5
eddiejoe333

I had one in .357, 7-shot. It shot fairly well. I didn't like the short, "ribber" grip. It had the ports at the front, and that tamed some recoil.
Upon closer inspection, I noticed the cyinder gap was different from the left side v. the right side by .0001.

I later traded it, and a PT100 Taurus, for a Smith 65-2. The action on the Smith was MUCH smoother. The Smith is also more accurate in my hands.
Old March 8, 2010, 07:45 PM   #6
Eagleks

I'm looking for a VERY solid revolver for using buffalo bore loads in, while out in the woods. It's not for conceal carry. It's for protection against black bears, etc. ... and I'm not going with the .44 cal. for several reasons. A semi- isn't what I'm looking for.
Old March 8, 2010, 08:05 PM   #7
The_Vigilante

Taurus Tracker .357 -- experiences

You're better off looking for a larger pistol-at least .41 Magnum and above.
Old March 8, 2010, 09:06 PM   #8
Qwiks draw

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...19&postcount=2

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=399743

There's the scoop on the 627 from the actual owners. There are links within the links that need looking at.