The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 1, 2000, 08:51 AM   #1
HS

Well it looks like the right to self defense has even crept into our Military !

Wonder what the Army's using, same as me...?
Harsh words & a big stick !

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail [email protected]
ICQ # 68806935
Old May 1, 2000, 10:43 AM   #2
Hard Ball

If RAAF senior officers will look closely at the F18As in their five fighter squadrons they will find a 20mm Gatling gun capable of firing 100 shots per second in each plane. Of course, to make it work, you must put 20mm ammunition in the gun's feed system, but I'm sure the manual which came with the plane will tell them how to do this.
Old May 1, 2000, 11:42 AM   #3
Libertarian

Flying around in warplanes with no ammo is as stupid as running around with an empty pistol (and harder to make a tactical load under fire). This is simply stupid. Like the US requiring our troops to keep all weapons cleared until contact is initiated or orders are given to L&L. Stupid!
Old May 1, 2000, 12:19 PM   #4
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Hard Ball owes me a monitor and a Cherry Coke. First class mail will be fine.

HOW much does an F-18 cost again? What kind of moron buys these multi-million-dollar fighters and sends them out unarmed? Do these idiots drive their new cars through their city's worst neighborhoods with big gun-control stickers in the back windows???

For that matter, why buy fighters at all? What's the point of having that incredibly fast, agile, well-sensored plane if it's unarmed? Why not buy some Cessnas and Pipers and save some cash?
Old May 1, 2000, 09:22 PM   #5
Bam Bam

Did anyone else read the Wall Street Journal article outlining the sale of F-16s to the United Arab Emirates? The fighters to be sold will be more advanced electronically than the USAF's. AND if our own Air Force were to use them we would have to pay a royalty to the UAE for each plane our own Air Force buys.

Old May 2, 2000, 04:29 AM   #6
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I think Indon needs to get Splashed.
Old May 2, 2000, 07:51 AM   #7
Bruce in West Oz

George:

I was just reading your post and going "Yayyy!" when three RAAF jets (it's dark; couldn't see what they were; sounded suspiciously like Hornets), went directly over my house and due west out to sea at an estimated 500 feet ASL and approx. Mach 0.8. Man, they were rumbling!!!!!!

Something put a flea up their bums -- hope it wasn't the Indons!!!

B

Old May 2, 2000, 08:13 AM   #8
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I used to live between Ft Lewis and McCord (sp?) AirForce Base in Washington State... Thats the Washington with the Seattle in it for those who don't know it...
Anyways - while living there I learned to ID EVERY air craft that flew in BY THE SOUND of them... From C130's and 131's to the Eagle and Falcons... to the Hueys and Cobras (that was hard - they sound very similar, but the Cobras didnt sounds as if they were beating the air quite as hard) (Blackhawks were not in service then.)

I loved seeing a line of 131s taking off nose to tail with Eagles all about like flies around the cattle...