The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 1, 2000, 10:24 AM   #26
Watch-Six

Chris, thank you for sharing your experience. My best to you and your very brave lady. I hope she recovers quickly.

------------------
Get your 1911s and AR15s while you still can!
Old May 1, 2000, 10:32 AM   #27
RH

Sure glad that was one of those 'dumb' guns. A Gov't-approved 'smart' one would've had much different results.
Old May 1, 2000, 11:21 AM   #28
Blueyedog

I'm sure glad your family is OK. I will keep you all in my thoughts.

------------------
Refuse to be a "helpless" victim.
Knowing Your Rights WAGC in Indiana
Old May 1, 2000, 11:22 AM   #29
Gunslinger

Chris, her actions not only defender her own life but that of other future vicitms from this and other local would be pieces of garbage that will read of this incident in the local paper and perhaps think twice before perpitrating a similar act. She is in deed a brave woman whom has made your community safer for all the women who live there.

------------------
Gunslinger

TFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th & 13th, 2000
Old May 1, 2000, 11:27 AM   #30
CassidyGT

Thank God.

I am wondering though, how I can set it up so that my wife will have the same oppty to defend herself. We have 2 little ones and leaving a pistol out is not an option.

How can I arrange things so that my wife can quickly access her .357 but also keep it safe from access by the children?

As we have it arranged now, she would have been dead in the scenario your wife lived through.

Currently she stores her .357 in the closet on the top shelf out of reach of the 4 year old and the 1 year old. That setup will not last very much longer as the 4 year old gets a bit older.

What to do?

------------------
Thane (NRA GOA JPFO SAF CAN)
MD C.A.N.OP
[email protected]
http://homes.acmecity.com/thematrix/...nsite/can.html
www.members.home.net/tbellomo/tbellomo/index.htm
"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression.
In both instances there is a twilight when everything remains
seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all
must be most aware of change in the air - however slight -
lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness."
--Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas
Old May 1, 2000, 11:34 AM   #31
jcoyoung

I'm glad to hear that everybody came out ok. Now time for the emotional healing. Your family will be in my prayers.

OTOH, I hope the BG is seriously injured (read FATAL) so his breaking/entry/raping days are over.
Old May 1, 2000, 11:38 AM   #32
Dennis Olson

Cassidy, why not install a LOCK on your bedroom door? Wouldn't stop the goblins, but it'll keep the kiddies out.

How terrible to put on a tombstone: "My wife died at the hand of a rapist, but it was 'for the children'"?

Get the lock. And teach the 4 yo about gun safety ASAP. THAT is what's REALLY 'for the children'....

[This message has been edited by Dennis Olson (edited May 01, 2000).]
Old May 1, 2000, 11:47 AM   #33
Libertarian

CassidyGT, look at www.gunvault.com

ChrisMkIV, My thoughts are with you and your wife. She survived and as the saying goes "that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger".

Old May 1, 2000, 12:15 PM   #34
pack_rat

Prayers and best wishes for your family.
Old May 1, 2000, 12:47 PM   #35
RWK

Chris,

I am SO glad that you and your lady are okay. You are both in my prayers. Your wife did a wonderful job under the most stressful circumstances possible. I hope she will take considerable, deserved solace from her actions.
Old May 1, 2000, 12:50 PM   #36
buzz_knox

My prayers go with you and your family as well as my congratulations on your wife for her courage and your obvious good taste in woman.

To all those who are worried about keeping weapons ready around children, I'd suggest the Magnatrigger set-up available from Rick Devoid. It allows a Sneak & Wimpy revolver to be fired only by a wearer using special rings. Perhaps a set each for the adult members of the family? I don't like revolvers for defense generally, but this would fill the reaction gap left by having more serious firepower secured.
Old May 1, 2000, 01:14 PM   #37
jnix

Thank g*d it didn't have a trigger lock on it.
Old May 1, 2000, 01:20 PM   #38
OF

Chris, my wife and I send our best wishes, and only hope that in the same circumstance we could have the strength and presence of mind to rise to the occasion with the bravery that she displayed. We wish you peace.

- gabe

PS: Cassidy, I'd second Libertarian's recommendation of a speed-opening gun vault of some kind. The ones w/ the 'simplex' style locks don't require power (read: batteries). I have an address at home (I'm at work now) for another manufacturer and I'll post it when I get home. Or search the archives, it's in there somewhere. As for locking the bedroom door: all I know is when I was a kid...no door lock was safe from me The safes I'm thinking of will also tell you if someone has tried to open it. That would have deterred me as a child, but not simply the lock. The lock's just a puzzle to a kid.

[This message has been edited by GRD (edited May 01, 2000).]
Old May 1, 2000, 01:27 PM   #39
Bam Bam

Prayers for you and the family.
Old May 1, 2000, 02:04 PM   #40
Dennis Olson

Congrats on a major "win", BTW.... Did the TV/newspapers show up to document it? Probably not on their "agenda"....
Old May 1, 2000, 02:10 PM   #41
Jon K

I hope that your wife feels like the victor, not the victim. When a low life scum bag chooses to attact a woman and endanger her life, he is less than a rabid dog and deserves to be shot down like one.
Your wife showed true courage.
God Bless your family. John K

------------------
NRA MEMBER? GREAT, NOW JOIN GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
Old May 1, 2000, 02:11 PM   #42
TomMarker

Holy God...

I'm glad your wife is OK. My girlfriend was recently mugged at gunpoint one night, and has been very apprehensive about being alone at night, so I can sympathize with your situation somewhat.

I too hope that the piece of *&%& died a long, slow death in an alley while being chewed on by rabid rats.

I'm also glad she was able to keep her bearings enough to remember your piece was under the pillow.

I'm reminded of two quotes I share with people w/regards to self-defense.

"The law of steel dictates that the injuries sustained by your attacker be so great that you don't fear revenge." -- James Keating

"Demons who enter your circle must be pushed out." --Unknown (to me)
Old May 1, 2000, 03:45 PM   #43
loknload

My prayers and best of wishes to you and your very Brave wife. I hope it all works out for the both of you and your wife recovers from this very quickly.
Outstanding job and I like happy endings where the BG gets his due.
------------------
We preserve our freedoms by using four boxes: soap,ballot,jury, and cartridge.
Anonymous

[This message has been edited by loknload (edited May 01, 2000).]
Old May 1, 2000, 04:00 PM   #44
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

Your brave wife may never feel at ease in your home again - for her own safety and/or the safety of your children.

In my book she's a hero and she already has been in our prayers. (I read your post last night but was unable to respond rationally.)

I'm still too angry to say much, but suggest you consider a house dog in addition to your other security measures. Even a yap-yap dog would alert you and destroy the scum's advantage of surprise.

Give your brave wife all your love and support. She may need a bit more than usual.

Let her know that some 5300 TFLers are on her side.
Old May 1, 2000, 04:06 PM   #45
Monkeyleg

Chris, you and your wife have my prayers with you. And I hope your wife realizes that none of this was her fault.

Another poster mentioned a gun vault under the bed. It doesn't seem like that would have worked in this case. Not having kids, I don't have to be concerned about access, but it seems that having the gun with you all the time is the only solution to something like this.

Anyway, Chris, all the best to you and your very tough wife.

Dick
Old May 1, 2000, 04:52 PM   #46
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Chris...

My god. I am so sorry that this occurred. At the same time, I am thankful your wife loves herself and her family enough to take action to protect them. My thoughts will be with both of you during this difficult time.
Old May 1, 2000, 05:28 PM   #47
Jason Demond

Thank god she is ok! I hope she airrated that sucker good!

------------------
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"

General Dwight D. Eisenhower-- June 6,1944
------------------------

http://www.homestead.com/gunrights/G...Gunrights.html

ICQ NO. 46780559
Old May 1, 2000, 05:41 PM   #48
Erik

I am glad to hear the "happy" ending. Relative to the other possible outcomes, that is. The important thing is that your family is alive and well. Comfort your wife. Support her as needed. And relay the story in as calm a matter to the next person you come across who questions your right to own firearms.

Erik
Old May 2, 2000, 12:37 AM   #49
chadintex

I'm very sorry to hear about the trauma your wife had to go through. Be there for her, she will definetely need your love. Our prayers are with you.

------------------
Beware the three D's: The dumb, drunk, and deranged. [email protected]
Old May 2, 2000, 12:41 AM   #50
Red Bull

Cassidy:

My suggestion: get an indoor dog and have it sleep in your room. That will buy you a lot of time.

If you must lock your gun up, just lock it when you are not around.
At night, unlock it and put it under your pillow. In the day, wear it or lock it up. That is my opinion around toddlers.

There are also a variety of good locks that are easy to disable by an adult. One is a big rubber band around the slide of the gun (stretches from the muzzle, back to the hammer). The band holds the hammer down and if it is a DA it cannot be fired until the rubber band is slipped off, which takes adult strength and unfortunatly two hands. In the end I know of NO lock that is instantly accessable by on hand, with someone beating your face in. The gun has to be ready.
Fact is, TRIGGER LOCKS DON'T WORK. They are dangerous to install, can cause the gun to fire and they render the gun useless. The only thing you can do, IMHO, is to make the gun safe in the morning when you get up (if you choose not to carry it) and then make the gun ready before you go to bed and keep it near.

I like my Glock with a Saf-T-Lock on it. It is a doo dad that clicks in behind the trigger and can be popped out
Closed Thread