The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 27, 2004, 07:04 PM   #1
Cowled_Wolfe

Location: Washington... Land of the apple, and the apple maggot!
Budget .22

Pretty simple question here:

How much can I expect to pay for a used .22LR handgun, assuming all I care about is that it functions and fires safely? Where should I look exactly? What can I expect?

Any insights appreciated,
Wolfe.
Old November 27, 2004, 08:54 PM   #2
Sir William

Used? I wouldn't expect to pay OVER $200.00. A H&R or Charter should run about $90.00 in revolver form. A used S&W 617 would bring about $450.00 and a Colt Diamondback (the holy grail) around $500.00. You get what you pay for. In semi-auto form, I would consider a Browning Buckmark. I would look for a Colt Diamondback first, a S&W 617 or a Ruger SP-101 in revolver form. There are others, these simply work.
Old November 28, 2004, 01:01 PM   #3
Te Anau

Personally,im a firm believer in buying new when it comes to a .22lr unless the gun in question is old and hard to find.Why spend $170.00 on a gun that could easily have 10,000 rounds (cheap .22lr-YAH!) or more through it when you can spend $225.00 and buy brand new.Ive seen people do it and can never figure out why.
Old November 28, 2004, 09:08 PM   #4
sageowl

Second the buying new thing, unless your budget is absolutely strapped to the point that you can only afford a lower-to-mid-quality used piece. There's always ones like the Beretta Neos for a cheapy .22LR pistol between $200 and $250 or so. Of course you could always go buy a Kimber with a .22 conversion kit . Others more experienced with .22s might have better model suggestions for the lower budget range.
Old November 28, 2004, 09:34 PM   #5
AUG

You can get a brand new Ruger MK II with the pencil barrel for just a tad over $200 brand new. Only get one of these if you want an accurate and reliable 22lr pistol that goes about 1500 rounds between cleanings.
Old November 28, 2004, 10:08 PM   #6
Selfdfenz

What AUG said but substitute 22/45 for MKII. Bull barrel. Should still be able to find one just under 200.
I would look for one w/o the loaded chamber indicator.

S-
Old November 29, 2004, 06:42 AM   #7
Cowled_Wolfe

Thanks, everyone.

I can agree with the MkII, assuming I had the money. Right now, I think "... your budget is absolutely strapped to the point that you can only afford a lower-to-mid-quality used piece." applies, however.

Then again, it might be worth hanging on to my money for awhile... *Ponders.*
Old November 29, 2004, 07:15 AM   #8
thedave

heritage arms .22 SA revolver. I got mine for 125 new and so far it has held up nicely to 1500 rounds. The finish is wearing off some but for the price it's a decent little shooter
Old November 29, 2004, 07:15 PM   #9
Dwight55

Cowl, . . . friendly 2 cents from an old tightwad: save a little longer and buy either the Browning Buckmark or either of the Rugers.

You will like the trigger pull on the Browning better, probably, and they are certainly equal as far as accuracy. My Ruger I used to own, would shoot about 200 rounds then would quit because there was some fouling junk that would not let the bolt go all the way home. I dug it out with the sharp point of a pocket knife and kept on shooting, . . . but it was a bit of a nuisance at times. My son's Browning has a slab side barrel, . . . is very flat, . . . fits my average sized ol geezer's hand, . . . and is the only .22 I would even think about carrying CCW, . . . but it I would in a pinch. I know I can put 10 out of it in a 3 in circle at 21 feet just about as fast as I can pull the trigger.

The trigger pull, the safety catch, the magazine release, . . . all are just a bit smoother on the Browning than the Ruger, . . . although the Ruger is certainly well worth the investment. It also is a fine pistol.

By careful shopping you should be able to walk out a gun store door brand spanking new with the Browning for under 250, . . . and probably the Ruger about 20 or 30 bucks less.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old November 30, 2004, 12:06 PM   #10
Richard

I would go with either a Ruger MK I or MKII Standard Model as it is my favorite 22 pistol. I gave $135 for my MKI and it was like new. Regards, Richard
Old November 30, 2004, 12:17 PM   #11
Tacoma

It would be helpful to know what you expect from it in use. Target? Plinking? Hunting? Concealed Carry? This would help narrow down some recomendations.
I personally am a BIG fan of buying used guns ( providing you know what to look for.) I'd much rather buy a used S&W/Ruger for instance than a new Lama, Taurus, etc.. Heck , I've got .22 handguns that are older than me that shoot better than many will new.
Old November 30, 2004, 08:35 PM   #12
Cowled_Wolfe

Tacoma, I'm mainly after a plinker... My game is rapid-fire at medium to long range. Accuracy's not a huge issue, but it'll help...
Old December 1, 2004, 02:49 AM   #13
Majic

Why buy new as it is really hard to wear out a .22lr firearm. Probably your best bet in a plinker would be one of the thousands of Rugers on the used market. There's a configuration for almost all tastes and purposes.
Old December 1, 2004, 03:33 AM   #14
PATH

I went with the inexpensive 22A Smith. I tried the Ruger but I don't like the way it takes down.

'How MacPherson Held The Floor'
Old December 1, 2004, 08:04 AM   #15
Tacoma

Sounds like you want to find a used 5-7" barreled semi auto. Ruger MK I /II , Browning Buckmark , High Standard 100 series or Browning Chalanger wold work nicely. You should be able to find one of these in the $175+/- $25 range. IF you can compromise on the rapid fire part, ( or have less to spend) you might find a H&R DA revolver for $50-$75 less.
Old December 1, 2004, 09:06 AM   #16
Robert J McElwain

Take a tour of Gunsamerica.Com You'll find a ton of .22 cal pistols. Both dealers and individuals sell through this market.

Good luck,

Bob

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." ~Thomas Jefferson
Old December 1, 2004, 11:58 AM   #17
XavierBreath

If you want something that will shoot, as in hit a target, and be fairly reliable, go for the Ruger MKII. At present, there are two sitting on pawnshop shelves in my town, a pencil barrel and a bull barrel for $175 and $165 respectively. The previous posters are correct though, if you can afford it, a new MKII is the way to go. .22LR ammo is so cheap that a lot of the used .22LR guns have high round counts. Most have been riden hard and put away wet. I wouldn't buy a used MKII unless the price was around $100 (near about never going to happen!), and I was getting it for the reciever to drop in Volquartsen parts and a Pac-Lite barrel/reciever. My preference in .22LR semi-autos is the Ruger MKII just for the upgrade/customization potential.

If you want something that will go bang once in a while, a H&R revolver can usually be found on a pawnshop shelf for around $75-$100. You might even find a gun like the one below for $100 if you ask around, and have a bit of luck.