The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 5, 2009, 04:15 PM   #76
keys85

I actually have a couple female gun nut/collector friends. They are the coolest women ever. One of them even drives a pick-up truck. Unfortunately, they are married and I'm having a hard time meeting my future wife at the range (because there are none), but believe me, if I did, I'd be happily married.

However, my male gun friends seem to think these women who are into competition shooting and collecting and burping and acting tough like Sarah Conner have too much testosterone. They are cool to be friends with, but the tomboy type attitudes are not found attractive. I'm going to have to disagree. I'd rather date one of them then a little princess with flowers in her hair who hates guns - not that female gun lovers don't wear flowers in their hair, but I've yet to see this. Any interjections on those pink AR-15 rifles?

Now back to females and reloading. Do you girls reload? I'm really interested in finding a comparative analysis to the female passion for guns, and how knowledgeable the general trend is towards the understanding of their mechanics and functionality versus the simple act of shooting them. (Kind of like driving a car versus working on one, but from the comment made about adjusting valve lash, I think it's about time for me to shut-up since you girls know more than any girl I've ever dated) Right now, my male counterparts who are involved in guns and shooting do a lot more theoretical work with guns then the actually shooting part. This may be perhaps my buddy is the chief weapons engineer for a major manufacturer here in CT.

Last edited by keys85; March 5, 2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old March 5, 2009, 05:17 PM   #77
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by keys
Now back to females and reloading. Do you girls reload?
1) Do you not feel even the slightest bit awkward calling a woman old enough to be your mother "girl", young man? Kids these days...

2) Only .22 Rem Jet, 6.5x50 Arisaka, 6.5x54 M/S, 6.5x55 Swede, .30-40 Krag, .303 Brit, .38 Spl/.357 Mag, .405 Win, and .44 Spl/.44 Mag at the moment. I really need to get some .32 S&W Long and .44-40 dies...
Old March 5, 2009, 05:28 PM   #78
pax

I can run a press okay, but dislike it. The only reason I reload at all is because otherwise I just couldn't afford to shoot the volume of ammunition that I enjoy shooting. Once you've got everything set up, worked out your loads etc, reloading becomes a mind-numbingly dull task. I'd rather be shooting.

pax
Old March 5, 2009, 05:49 PM   #79
Microgunner

Woo....Hoo....This s one of the funest threads I've read in awhile. You girls sure are cute when you get mad. Ooops...was that sexist? JK jk...couldn't help myself. Peace to all that desire it, death to those that don't.
Old March 5, 2009, 05:52 PM   #80
Kleinzeit

Quote:
I'm really interested in finding a comparative analysis to the female passion for guns
Something else you need to keep in mind here is that, for a very long time, our patriarchal culture tended to actively discourage women from handling firearms. Men liked to see themselves in certain ways - as heroic protectors of a weaker sex, and so on - and it upset their whole self-image if women went about not being weak.

Fortunately, there have always been women who couldn't care less what the dominant patriarchal culture told them they could and couldn't do. But still, all those years of speaking to (and about) women as if they were useless at so-called "manly" things, and telling them they wouldn't be accepted in society if they didn't fit the role they were expected to fit, had some effect.

So if it is true (and note, I said IF) there are fewer women than men shooting guns, and fewer women reloading, and fewer women with extensive technical expertise, it isn't because they have any less aptitude. They have utterly disproven that notion. We have to suppose then that it is purely because of this historical tendency for men to try to keep women penned up. Now, it's part of the job of men to try to understand how we have been unconsciously repeating this garbage and to get out of the way so the women can work out for themselves what they want to do.

So, you can look at all the statistics you like, but if you don't ask how the numbers got to be that way, your analysis won't mean a damn thing.

Not that I'm trying to discourage you from some intelligent investigation.
Old March 5, 2009, 06:09 PM   #81
chemgirlie

Ah, this is a fun thread. It indeed has deviated from its original purpose, but that's okay.

As for reloading, I unfortunately have not been able to do so lately. I'm in my early 20s and nearing the tail end of my college career, so with finances what they are at the moment I've had to put a lot that I would like to do on the back burner. Yes, I do know how and have done so in the past.

I have one sibling (a younger brother). We were both brought up the same way around guns. He wasn't taught anything I wasn't and vice versa. I hunted as kid and still do today. In the area I grew up in (the middle of nowhere in N. WI) everybody hunted and owned guns no matter what reproductive organs they had.

I have never encountered anybody who was opposed to me owning guns because I have XX chromosomes, though I have encountered people who are opposed to anybody owning guns (but they were all equal opportunity antis). In fact, I think most people have gone out of their way to make me feel welcome at the range/gun shop/etc. I would also like to extend a big thank you to the 99.99% of the people on this forum who are always so willing to go out of your way to be kind/help out.
Old March 5, 2009, 07:20 PM   #82
NRAhab

This is my new favorite thread.

Also, I want to get back to the shoot off - key challenged Tam, she accepted and provided a venue, but so far I haven't seen any sort of response from him in that regard. Since I'll be at that pin match, I'd be more than happy to serve as an impartial referee.

Oh, and this is just sort of my experience: if key would like to meet some ladies who shoot, I'd recommend taking up IDPA/IPSC/Steel Challenge/etc. Not only are there women there, but some of them are pretty good.

But I'm sure that those girls, especially with all those national championships, gold medals, and fun stuff like that only won because the men let them, because after all - shooting is a "man's sport". Like boxing.
Old March 5, 2009, 07:27 PM   #83
pax

Ahab ~

One more. She's Master Class in both Open & Limited.

pax
Old March 5, 2009, 07:32 PM   #84
NRAhab

I cannot believe I forgot about Lisa Munson, I mean it's not like she's the only woman to ever get master classed in the Limited Division or anything. Plus, she's from my home state!

But I'm probably a better shot than her, because I'm a man, and it's a man's game, after all.

Old March 5, 2009, 07:53 PM   #85
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Don't forget Chris Tilley and Wackenhut tactical instructor and USPSA nat'l champion Angi Kelley. Angi used to shoot at our range; she'd smoke open class guys shooting her production gun...
Old March 5, 2009, 08:58 PM   #86
MeekAndMild

Just talking ease of operation here, and not skill level or preference but if I didn't have 50 years of shooting experience and didn't have a gun but was seriously intent on home protection I'd go to Gander Mountain and get one of those little side by side coach guns they sell. Nothing like looking down a pair of shotgun barrels to make a bad man consider changing his lifestyle.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old March 5, 2009, 09:37 PM   #87
RainbowBob

Quote:
some of them are pretty good.
If ya didn't click on the links in the above phrase from NRAhab's post - you missed some HOT shooters!
Old March 6, 2009, 03:02 AM   #88
keys85

First I must comment on the assumption that you think you're old enough to be my mother. In fact, it is only your best guess as to my age.

Secondly, I think a good point has been brought up here - some of those female shooters are attractive. Many sports are gender separated. Take a look at the Olympics. There is men's this and men's that, then women's this and women's that.

Think back to co-ed gym class. Get a really attractive girl on the firing line and they can distract a man's ability to think. Not to mention the man's dignity to loosing to a girl!!!

Lastly, there has been a study on women and women's depth perception vision pertaining to driving. I'm sure you can relate this to shooting when range estimation counts. However, if you wish, I can ask an optometrist friend of mine if there is some kind of biological / physical / brain related element at play here that gives a man better depth perception.
Closed Thread