The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 6, 2006, 05:36 AM   #101
Ralph2

Here is the link to the forum that had users talk about other guns they saw or blew up personally. Most were reloads as usual.
Old December 6, 2006, 06:23 AM   #102
CALNRA

My next gun WILL be a glock regardles of the circumstance and here is why:

I LOVE their politics. WHen California came up with the Chamber indicator and magazine disconnect deadline for 2006 and 2007, repsectively, some companies led some pistols drop off or not introduce their pistols in California.

Glock said, *(&^ it, we are gonna submit and certify ALL our models in California, and they did.

So my next pistol will be a subcompact 9mm Glock.
Old December 6, 2006, 12:10 PM   #103
AngusPodgorney

So you prefer a company to cave in search of market share? If you want inspiring responses to California's non-sense laws, look to Ronnie Barret!
Old December 6, 2006, 06:37 PM   #104
Bulldog1806

Whats a KB?
Old December 6, 2006, 07:00 PM   #105
RockyMtnTactical

kB!'s are an ammo issue, not a weapon issue.

Oh, and I have a couple Glocks...
Old December 6, 2006, 07:02 PM   #106
RockyMtnTactical

Quote:
Whats a KB?
A Kaboom! here's a good read.

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=283479
Old December 6, 2006, 07:10 PM   #107
AngusPodgorney

KB's are a "weapon system" issue!
Old December 6, 2006, 07:21 PM   #108
RockyMtnTactical

Quote:
KB's are a "weapon system" issue!

Well, then all weapons systems have issues.

Old December 6, 2006, 08:04 PM   #109
Travismaine

Quote:
Well, then all weapons systems have issues.
True the point with Glocks is the sheer number of them repeatedly doing the same thing. Name any other mass produced gun with a track record of kb's like
Glock has.

Travis
Old December 6, 2006, 09:56 PM   #110
Ralph2

Quote:
True the point with Glocks is the sheer number of them repeatedly doing the same thing. Name any other mass produced gun with a track record of kb's like
Glock has.
1911's in 38 super.
HK I have seen pics of three or four different ones that have let go. Not too far behind Glock.

Define Sheer numbers.
Numbers please. Exactly how many.
And what percentage of total population.
How many from Reloads.
How many per year before and after the 40 S&W ammo casing was "quietly redesigned".
How many from one group dedicated to one lot/brand of ammo without testing other lots/brands.

Too many variables to draw a definitive conclusion.

Discounting the multiple times one might get counted on the net.

I have seen the remains of two revolvers, Therefore revolvers have excessive failure issues. My local Glock Armorer has seen thousands of guns from many different shooters at the gun shows he attends. To date he has one bulged barrel from a squib load and has not encountered either a KB'd gun or a person who claims to have KB'd one.

I'm not saying they don't fail. Just that the numbers may be skewed due to the admitted fact by many that they are the only brand that is getting scrutinized. Many other brands fail but aren't getting plastered all over the place. When a guy destroys the barrel on his 1911 he gets another one provided the rest of the gun wasn't toasted. I have seen all kinds of barrel and chamber failure pics for those in the past 20 years. Those are quietly accepted that they fail and break parts on a regular basis. Look at all the parts sources out there.
Old December 6, 2006, 10:29 PM   #111
RockyMtnTactical

Quote:
Glock has.

Travis
Name a pistol as prolific as Glock. Not to mention that the majority of them are in 9mm and .40 which are too calibers that push the envelope for pressure...

The sheer number of Glocks out there mean that we hear about more problems with them becuase that's what so many people have.

No doubt, Glocks don't like reloads... but there's always guys shooting reloads in them regardless...
Old December 6, 2006, 10:29 PM   #112
Travismaine

I have seen KB in many guns. Not to get into a pissing contest about Glocks but many pds have stopped using them after kb's. I personally have seen 6 myself here in Maine. I have read reports from many pds about this problem. Total numbers beats me but they are more prevalent then other guns are. There are many sources you can read to find all this out try the gun zone many copy's of pd reports there to read.
Old December 7, 2006, 04:20 AM   #113
swk314

Is Glock going to come out with a more fully supported barrel anytime soon? I personally like Glocks, and I know the chances are rare, but I'd like to keep all my fingers. Do you guys think it would be wise to purchase a Bar-Sto barrel?
Old December 7, 2006, 01:53 PM   #114
Hard Ball

Glockx KB due to a design flaw that other pistols do not have. A KB is a firing out of battery resultting in a prechambering detonation. And it can and does happen with factory ammunition.
Old December 7, 2006, 03:45 PM   #115
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
A KB is a firing out of battery resultting in a prechambering detonation. And it can and does happen with factory ammunition.
If this were true then chamber support would have NOTHING to do with it.
Old December 7, 2006, 04:19 PM   #116
Crosshair

Firing out of battery is just one thing that can cause a KB. Chamber support is another thing that can cause it, there are probably other things that will do it that I can't think of right now.
Old December 7, 2006, 04:36 PM   #117
JohnKSa
Staff

Yeah, there is more than one thing that can cause kB!s. First of all, any semi-auto can kB! The idea that there are some designs that can't is not based in fact. The problem with this topic is that everyone think's he's an expert but very few people have taken the time to really figure out what's going on.

1. Ammunition problems. In a perfect world, ammunition would all be identical. The cases would be uniformly strong and dimensioned identically. The primers wouldn't protrude and there would never be a case that was oversize enough to not chamber 100%. There would never be bullet setback or powder overcharges. In the real world, none of this is true all the time and any of this can cause a problem in and of itself or raise an existing condition to the level of a problem. A few things to remember. All factory ammunition is not the same. All factory ammunition is not good quality factory ammunition. And lastly, even factory ammunition is not always perfect--nothing manmade is.

2. Out of battery firing. While EVERY semi-auto has one or more safeties to reduce the chances of out of battery firing (Glocks have two), virtually any semi-auto can fire at least a tiny bit out of battery. This often gets worse as parts wear. This is virtually never a problem in a well-maintained firearm when used with good ammunition. Change any of that, and things can get exciting.

3. Lack of chamber support. Semi-autos have chambers with varying amounts of case support. Very few have chambers with full support. Obviously the more you have, the less of a tendency to kB!. Unfortunately, increasing case support in most designs tends to decrease feeding reliability. Factory chamber support from any major firearms manufacturer is always safe when used with good quality factory ammunition. That's the bottom line. The problems can come when any of the qualifiers I put on the word 'ammunition' in the previous sentence are changed.
Old December 8, 2006, 01:49 PM   #118
atblis

Yes actually

In the case of the Model 20, I would probably buy one if they fixed the chamber issue. 17/19/34 are fine as is.
Old December 8, 2006, 02:24 PM   #119
raggededge

In response to the original question, I've been eyeing a G21 (that's the full-frame .45ACP). I have rather large hands, so they fit me alright. I wouldn't worry about one coming apart in my hands.
Old December 8, 2006, 02:48 PM   #120
Ausserordeutlich

"Many PDs have stopped using them....blah, blah, blah." BS! Surely, you don't call the Portland PD "many PDs?" Can you name a few other PDs that stopped using Glocks because THEIR department experienced KBs? No? I didn't think so. Oh, yeah, even the Portland PD didn't stop using Glocks; just opted for a more anemic model.

If Mercedes solves the round wheel problem will you buy a Mercedes? If the airlines solve the wings' falling off problem, will you fly?
Old December 8, 2006, 02:52 PM   #121
threegun

Never had or seen any Glock fail including many, many G-21's.

I am also a range officer, competition shooter, and gun shop salesman never heard of one (firsthand) either.
Old December 8, 2006, 03:10 PM   #122
OBIWAN

I recently saw the lab report on the Portland PD's problem pistols

While the questions posed by the PD were obviously slanted towrds finding fault with the weapon, the lab stated categorically that catastrophic overpressure was the problem
Old December 8, 2006, 06:57 PM   #123
JR47

LAPD and LASD, the Model 21. Montgomery County PD, Maryland, the Model 22.

Google can be your friend.