The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 3, 2000, 06:35 PM   #1
Hammy

Is there anyone out there who has any shooting experience with Mosin-Nagant? I'd like to know what kind of groups to expect when shooting the M44 carbine and 91/30 rifle. Also, is the M44 anywhere close to the 91/30 in the accuracy department? I recently bought an M44 and have had a chance to mount a scope just yet. I did, however, learn that it kicks like a rented mule!!!!!!
Old June 3, 2000, 08:35 PM   #2
Destructo6

I usually don't shoot for groups, but I can ring the 300 yard metal plate (about 12 inches) consistantly with my Polish M44.

Did you notice a point of impact change with the bayonet folded vs extended?
Old June 3, 2000, 11:29 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

It takes either a Big Man (or person) or a brave person to shoot those carbines. The bark is as bad as the bite. I'll take my scoped M91/30 anyday (got a Tula Sniper which I haven't shot yet).
Old June 3, 2000, 11:56 PM   #4
house

I am thinking of buying 2 of these rifles. Were do you guys recomend on picking up one of these? I would like mine with matching parts if possible? Also 4V50 Gary were did you find the sniper version? is that with original scope? hope to here back from you guys.

Thank House
Old June 4, 2000, 09:11 AM   #5
Hutch

I have a Chinese copy of the M44, and am not well pleased yet. My Czech ammo (lacquered steel case "light-bullet" loads) stick badly in the chamber. I have some Barnaul "Hunting Ammunition" (right), also steel/lacquer, and thus far, (1 shot) it didn't stick. I'm on a "buy cheap MilSurp turnbolt" binge right now, so I'm still not too PO'd about the foregoing.

To answer your question, I would most definately wish to handle and inspect any of these rifle before taking it home, so that sorta eliminates the mail-order/FFL routine. The last few big gunshows down here have been covered up w/ Nagants, Turkish and Yugo Mausers. Best of luck...
Old June 4, 2000, 12:21 PM   #6
Destructo6

I found mine at a local chain store, Turner's Outdoorsman. They had several, so I found one who's bolt matched the numbers on the receiver and looked to be in good condition. I'd be a little wary of buying one sight unseen, unless it was an extraordinary deal.
Old June 4, 2000, 03:42 PM   #7
FireForged

I have a 2 Nagants, a M44 and a 1926 in standard length. I love to shoot them and the ammo down here in the South is very affordable. I am not the best shot in the world but I can shoot a 5" group at 110 yards with surplus ammo. I was pleased to find out that the 7.62x54 does not kick as bad as I thought. The M44 are cheap right now and I would suggest that anyone who does not already have one of these fine rifles, go out and get one quick. Nice little piece of history.......
Old June 5, 2000, 01:46 PM   #8
T-Rex

My gramps gave me an old sporterized Nagant. If I could find a scope for the thing, I'd be happy, but with the old Russkie sights, it's Kentucky windage only. Considering that means holding about a foot to the right at 100yds, it gets kind of old.