The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 19, 2005, 05:56 AM   #1

Modern day Audie Murphy (war hero)

http://www.wtv-zone.com/Mary/THISWILLMAKEYOUPROUD.HTML

Just when I get depressed about the world today, I read stuff like this. IMHO, Brian deserves the Medal of Honor. He's still an amazing man, nonetheless. Simply amazing!

Hope this isn't a repost.

Ronald Reagan
Old August 19, 2005, 11:36 AM   #2

No comments?

Has everyone already heard about this guy?

Ronald Reagan
Old August 19, 2005, 01:20 PM   #3
20cows

The Murphy comparison is good. (I just read his book a couple of weeks ago). There are still a few good men around.
Old August 19, 2005, 01:41 PM   #4
boofus

Admiral Nimitz said it best "Uncommon valor is a common virtue" among US soldiers and marines.
Old August 19, 2005, 05:04 PM   #5
rugerdude

Wow

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old August 19, 2005, 05:09 PM   #6
butch50

I read this some months ago, it is INSPIRING!

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry
Old August 19, 2005, 05:21 PM   #7
Shorthair

On Chontosh

He was also featured in an ABC story on Nightline on the fighting in Fallujah. One could tell he was one hell of a professioinal, rather p*ssed to be there, and doing what he could to keep his men alive and accomplish his mission. Truly in keeping with finest tradition of the USMC and the Naval service, or however that line goes. Its nice to know he knew how to use an AK when he needed to.
BTW, Chesty won 5 Navy Crosses, its been suggested that he had stepped on so many toes that no-one would put him up for the MOH.
Leatherneck magazine carries a regular feature listing awards and citations given for heroism in Iraq and Afghanistan. One won't see any of these in the MSM, but to this old jarhead they read like the heroism displayed at Iwo, Okinawa, Belleau Wood, and Hue. Finest traditions, indeed!
Old August 19, 2005, 10:44 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

A Navy Cross is nothing to sneeze at. These kids, Geezuz, they stop being kids when the first shot, in either direction, is fired. These men, from any of the countries over there, are proof that their generation(the offspring of us Babyboomers) have the same moxie as the Viet Nam Vets and their grandda's from W.W. II and Korea.
Old August 20, 2005, 12:37 AM   #9
Rabbi

Any of these young bucks that take fire are my brothers. I don't care which Theater of Operations, which branch, whatever ........

If you took fire on my behalf and to keep this Republic safe, you are attached to me and every vet on these boards. The whole country owes you, it isn't just vets that ought to be thanking you. When you bleed, every veteran bleeds and you can take that to the bank and draw interest on it.

G-d bless you every one.
Old August 20, 2005, 07:38 AM   #10
ArKay

Capt.Chontosh is a Marine officer in the Chesty Puller Mode,and if I was still in the Corps,I'd be proud to serve with him anytime,anyplace.Nuff said.Semper Fi.
Old August 20, 2005, 10:39 AM   #11
Waitone

Waaaay back during Vietnam there was a story of a downed chopper in indian territory. One of the chopper's survivors picked up a machine gun and shot up an NVA unit. IIRC he was awarded one of the top medals. His commentary on his actions? "NVA was between us and safety."