The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 7, 2002, 05:12 PM   #1
Benton

Could they make the Walther P22 in .32acp?

I just got a Walther P22 and like it very much. I was wondering if the company could adapt the design to .32 auto.

Part of the appeal of the P22 is that it looks like a scaled down P99 (an effect somewhat spoiled by the necessary external hammer and the very unnecessary cuts on the forward end of the slide). The .32 would look like a 9mm scaled down down to the proportions of the P22, thereby adding to the miniature appeal of the model. Too, it would make a nice CCW for those wanting a lightweight pistol and satisfied with the power limitation. The frequently reported reliability problems of Kel-Tecs and Beretta Tomcats suggest that the only competition in this market niche (that I'm aware of) is the SIG 231.

What do you think?
Old April 8, 2002, 10:40 PM   #2
Pilate

No comments on this yet?

Considering the size of the P22, I think they could have gone as big as .380. It's roughly the size of my Kahr MK9... If Kahr can fit 9mm into the PM9, Walther could have done at least .380 in the P22. I think that Walther's intention though, was that the gun be a cheap shooting plinker. Do you have the long barrel, short, or both? One feature about the P22 I can't get with is the mag safety... Alot of people must like the gun, the bigger of the two stores I frequent has moved around 60 units already.
Old April 8, 2002, 10:55 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Size is not the important part. The 9mm P. pistols are locked breech type, where .22, .32, and .380 pistols are usually blowback.

It might be possible to make the P22 in .32, but the weight of the slide has to be sufficient for the larger caliber, since slide weight (mass) is what "keeps the lid on" in a blowback pistol.

Jim
Old April 8, 2002, 11:00 PM   #4
trapshooter

Pilate is right. It's a blowback action, so .380 is about max, normally. .32 would work ok. Whether Walther will do this is an open question, but if they are selling as many of the P22's as they seem to be, upping the caliber would be worth looking at, IMO.

I have noticed that the price on the P22 is going up, it's already more than +11% where I got mine.

I would buy one in .380.
Old April 8, 2002, 11:01 PM   #5
blades67

They could, but don't hold your breath.

I hunt, therefore I am.