The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 15, 2004, 08:03 AM   #1
sicorican

Allowed to carry at work?

Hello folks!

This is my first post, but I've been lurking here for a few weeks. I really enjoy this forum, and have gotten lots of great information and insights.

I've posted this on other forums, and would like to get your opinion.

I would like to ask you all if you are allowed to carry at work. If so, what type of work/company is it, other than LEO and security?

I ask because I'm going to be on my company's employee safety team, and would like to begin working on them to change the "no weapons" policy to at least a "no loaded weapons" policy. If any of you have been successful in lobbying your company/workplace to make this change, please let me know. I want to know if this is doable or if I'm just spittin' in the wind.

Thanx!
Old June 15, 2004, 08:37 AM   #2
ACP230

I'm self-employed so I can carry at work.
It's odd that people who have to go into hazardous areas, cab drivers, deliverymen, etc., can't carry due to work rules, while I can carry while making a point of not going anywhere I feel uncomfortable.
Something is out of whack!
Old June 15, 2004, 09:53 AM   #3
tcdrennen

if you're talking about a CARRY policy, what would be the point of allowing unloaded weapons? In Kalifornistan, at least, "unloaded" means no ammunition immediately available - rounds in a magazine is considered a loaded weapon.

Carrying an unloaded weapon would just be another weight to restrict running away - which is the only real option when facing deadly force with no means of defense.
Old June 15, 2004, 10:52 AM   #4
Ben Swenson

I can and do carry at work. I'm in IT.
Old June 15, 2004, 10:57 AM   #5
sicorican

Quote:
rounds in a magazine is considered a loaded weapon.

Wow... Glad I don't live THERE! Hopefully you can get that changed somehow...

My thinking is that it'll be easier to talk the non-gun folks into allowing "unloaded" weapons into the building. We all know how quickly an unloaded gun can become a loaded gun. But these are details that can be worked out once the main concept of allowing the guns in is accepted.

On another forum, someone suggested a "No Illegal Weapons" policy rather than a "No Loaded Weapons" policy. Either way is good. I'm just trying to figure out how to approach it.

Thank you!
Old June 15, 2004, 11:05 AM   #6
Darkangel

Dude, I carry everywhere. Sign or not. Don't ask ....Don't tell.
Old June 15, 2004, 11:59 AM   #7
Dusty Miller

I read several years ago that in the state of Washington employers cannot stop CCW owners from pack'n at work because the law does not specifically allow such practice.
Old June 28, 2004, 01:07 PM   #8
boogalou1

I work for a public utility, and although the municipality I work for has no rules against concealed carry, we do make use of State prisoners through a type of work release program. One of the rules is that no municipal employee shall carry a firearm while supervising any prisoner. Although if I'm concealing my firearm, the prisoner won't be aware of it. It appears the State is more concerned with the prisoners safety then mine and speaks volumes about how much citizens are trusted with firearms even after jumping through the hoops to acqire a permit. I haven't made a issue of it because this program does offer a community service for the City plus hopefully helps the prisoners learn a skill/work ethic.
Old June 30, 2004, 02:32 AM   #9
10CFR

Quote:
It appears the State is more concerned with the prisoners safety then mine and speaks volumes about how much citizens are trusted with firearms even after jumping through the hoops to acqire a permit.
Exactly. Employers are more concerned with everyone else's safety than yours. They are more concerned with the possibility of being sued for something you or I might do wrong with a firearm, than the fact that one of us might be able to prevent an incident of workplace violence like those that have been so widely publicized over recent years in the U.S.

I think when an incident of workplace violence occurs and a worker who was present and qualified to have been carrying, but wasn't due to the policy of the employer, is injured, or innocent persons are injured, then that selfish employer should be sued for having placed those person(s) in jeopardy by denying them the protection the armed-qualified employee could have provided had he/she been armed (sorry about the run-on sentence). It is very frustrating the way we are viewed by employers.

I have said all this before. I've been back here for all of 15 minutes and I'm bustin' capillaries already.
Old June 30, 2004, 06:30 AM   #10
Marko Kloos

I'm strongly encouraged to carry at work. Open or concealed is fine...open-carry is preferred when I wear leather out of our in-stock holster lines. You would not believe how many guns and holsters I've sold just by customers asking, "So what are you carrying there/What kind of holster is that?"

the munchkin wrangler.
Old June 30, 2004, 11:47 AM   #11
mgdavis

As a unarmed security guard in a hospital, I am not allowed to carry at work. I guess administration isn't worried about drunks, gangbanger's, etc... :barf:
Old June 30, 2004, 12:40 PM   #12
Mac Attack

Quote:
Darkangel wrote:
"Dude, I carry everywhere. Sign or not. Don't ask ....Don't tell."
Same here.
Old June 30, 2004, 12:40 PM   #13
Glock Hoss

Nope, and it pisses me off. It is a really good job that I enjoy and get paid well for, so I am not in a position to find something else. I am not even allowed to have it in the company parking lot. I have to leave it at home. I am not pleased about it.

Hoss
Old June 30, 2004, 02:13 PM   #14
SARDUDE

Every Day!
Old June 30, 2004, 04:13 PM   #15
OrangeSkies

I work in a minimum security prison and no staff are allowed to have any guns on their person OR in their vehicle - rifles or hand guns.

What's even worse, about a year ago the Dept. of Corrections Director mandated that all handguns be removed from the premises (of all miniumum institutions) with the exception of a few PR-24's and what the inmates call "canned spice" (ie, peper spray). If the SHTF, we're just supposed to call 911....

Yeah, right... do you think ANY of us follow that rule? Don't ask...

"We're from the government. We're here to help."
Old June 30, 2004, 08:33 PM   #16
Redondo

Can't carry, won't lobby. Federal Nuclear facility. NO chance to change it!
Old June 30, 2004, 09:31 PM   #17
Double Naught Spy

Unless you work in a really cool workplace where concealment isn't an issue, then if you carry at work, allowed or not, it will probably be very important that you remain concealed at all times. In some work places, even when carry is allowed, they may wish that you also follow the guidelines of your concealed carry license or whatever applicable laws. While carry may be allowed, it may still be a topic that makes folks uncomfortable and it is probably best just to play things as low key as possible. There are simply some folks at your work that might be better off not knowing you carry. One of the wosrt things that happens sometimes is when a non-gun person knows you carry and brings up the fact at inappropriate times.

I know the concept of remaining concealed sounds silly, but some folks relax a bit when they are in a workplace that allows carry and as a result, they fail to remain fully concealed and that may not be advantageous or proper.

Of course, some folks may get to work in places where open carry is allowed. That is cool in my book. My place doesn't allow gun carry at all.

A buddy of mine, on the other hand, works at a cool place where carry is allowed. In fact, the break room is apparently a common place for show and tell of various new 'toys.' Now, since not everyone carries, those that carry are polite and before show and tell will ask if anyone has a problem with doing showing and tell. Sometimes folks will bring in a new shotgun or rifle for hunting, or produce a new carry pistol. During show and tell, apparently items getting shown are cleared, the clearing verified by those in attendance, and everyone has a good time.
Old July 2, 2004, 10:48 PM   #18
Gary L. Griffiths

My company has a policy that encourages employees to be armed to protect themselves and company assets.

I own the company.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old July 3, 2004, 07:21 PM   #19
Wheelgun

Glock Hoss wrote:
"I am not even allowed to have it in the company parking lot. I have to leave it at home. I am not pleased about it."

That is what I miss about Georgia. Your car is an extension of your home, therefore your company can't tell you what you can and cannot have in it.
I have found New Hampshire to be a bit more restrictive. "Live Free or Die" my a**.

My company doesn't have a no firearms sign on their enterance, can't find anything in their regulations. My manager knows I am pro-carry, and hasn't said anything to me about not carrying, so IMO I'm good to go.

-wheelgun
Old July 6, 2004, 03:39 PM   #20
Parabola

Nope

Not only am I not allowed to carry at work, I'm not allowed to take a cell phone, PDA or even a simple notebook! I don't have internet access and have to go to another part of the building to use a phone that is able to call out to the real world.