The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 18, 2006, 07:10 PM   #1
Doug.38PR

Anyone in here carry a .22 pistol for a CHL weapon?

Just curious. OOUCH was that mesquito bite? Nope, just a .22
Old January 18, 2006, 07:39 PM   #2
willsnipe

Actually, YES! When dressed in a manner making concealment an issue, I've got a High Standard O/U that's thin and small. My theory has always been that the best self defense handgun is the one you have with you. I lean towards 15 pound rifles with 'bout a yard of barrel on 'em, but sometimes you have to make compromises!
Old January 18, 2006, 08:54 PM   #3
Sir William

Yes. Walther P22c. CCI/Speer Velocitor JHPs. The only "iffy" part is the rear sight. The leather is a Don Hume paddle for a Glock 36 that fits well.
Old January 18, 2006, 09:33 PM   #4
Ronny

Are you thinking about carrying your P22, Sir William?
Old January 18, 2006, 09:34 PM   #5
grimjaw

I used to carry a Beretta 21A in .22LR, but not now. There are larger caliber guns that are smaller than the 21A, so I'm considering those at BUG's.

jmm
Old January 18, 2006, 09:37 PM   #6
Optical Serenity

Back a long time ago, I used to carry an Iver Johnson .22LR pistol in an ankle holster. Gosh, what was I thinking?

Now I use a Glock 27 in an ankle holster in its place!
Old January 18, 2006, 10:18 PM   #7
Sir William

Yes, I am actually using my P22c as a CCW. I am considering authoring a piece on a budget 22 CCW/HD pistol. The Walther P22c military model in OD/black with 3.4" barrel is the subject. I am trying to figure out WHAT to try for the rail. E2D Defender, laser or the red dot?
Old January 18, 2006, 10:23 PM   #8
Dwight55

Until last Christmas, . . . my son's 4 in Browning Buckmark was my backup when the .45 couldn't go with me.

It holds 10, . . . with a spare magazine in an off pocket, . . . loaded with standard velocity solid points, . . . would never feel undergunned with it.

I know what it will do in my hands and there ain't no bg out there that wants to find out the hard way.

Yes, . . . given the choice, . . . my .45 ACP is #1, . . . Bersa Thunder .380 is now second choice (Christmas present ), . . . and the Buckmark is now 3rd choice, . . . but it is a good choice.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old January 19, 2006, 12:51 AM   #9
Lawyer Daggit

I have often thought that if you are practicing with the .22 a lot a quick three shots from a .22LR into the centre of mass or head will stop a lot of arguments.
Old January 19, 2006, 07:39 AM   #10
kymasabe

Taurus PT-22

Yea, I was carrying a Kel-Tec P3AT which spent more time traveling for repair than in my pocket. So, when it wasn't around, I'd carry my little Taurus PT-22, .22LR, 8+1 of CCI Velocitors. Was a reliable little gun and fun to shoot, was just twice as fat and twice as heavy as the Kel-Tec. Had simple sights but was very accurate. Tip-up barrel made it easy for my wife to use. Was cheap too. I bought the dual-tone blue/nickle with Rosewood grips for $200. Cool little gun.
Old January 19, 2006, 11:50 AM   #11
Glenn E. Meyer

I've a NAA Mini that I use as a BUG.
Old January 19, 2006, 11:59 AM   #12
Northslope Nimrod

I used to carry a PT-22 myself. I still wish I had a small .22 for hiking. I recommend carrying a .22 if you have nothing else.....but one should work toward buying a larger caliber for CCW. I like them for hiking.....lots of light weight ammo shoot shoot for fun and you are protected (somewhat) from Bad guys or mountain lions with sensitive ears.
Old January 19, 2006, 12:00 PM   #13
Derius_T

Yes, I have carried the .22 as a BUG, or when nothing else was readily available. I have hunted with one since I was a itty bitty tot, and I am very familiar with thier accuracy.
Old January 19, 2006, 01:27 PM   #14
281 Quad Cam

I run 9mm everywhere.... But I have carried my Taurus PT-22 when, for instance, going to a friends to work on a car, or some other low risk, nasty dirty oily situation. It has a tip up barrel, magazine disconnect, manual safety, and a ludicrously long and heavy trigger. Just dump it in some cargo pants pocket and go.
Old January 19, 2006, 01:50 PM   #15
Chris Phelps

I have every intention of carrying the Walther P22 after I buy it. Just a theory, but 10 shots COM in 2-3 seconds is just as good as 1-2 shots with a 9mm. I have always been fond of 22's anyway, though.
Bushmaster Superlight AR-15 5.56mm / Custom 24" Heavy BBL Varmint AR-15 5.56mm / Ruger M77 .257 Roberts / Ruger MKI 22LR Pistol / EAA Witness 9mm Pistol / Daisy 2202 22LR / Remington Viper 522 22LR / Stevens 200 .223 / Savage 10FP 24" .308 / Mauser 98 Sporter 30-06
Old January 19, 2006, 02:07 PM   #16
urbanassault

My .22 will easily shoot through a truck door and tighter/quicker patterns are usually easier to achieve with a .22, what more do you need? Home protection is another thing but with 2-30rd and 1-50rd magazines if it came down to it I would feel totally comfortable holding the ruger (not my first choice though) it quickley turns a 3/4ton chevy p-up door to swiss cheese!

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old January 19, 2006, 02:51 PM   #17
BlueTrain

Rex Applegate claimed he carried a .22 automatic for a while (probably a Hi-Standard or Colt) on the same theory that he could more easily make hits. He also carried a S&W hammerless pocket revolver (a .38 S&W breaktop) in a unique holster of his own design. He actually had to use it once and it didn't perform up to his expectations, though he managed. It was after that that he encouraged S&W to produce the original Centennial in .38 Special.

Both my father, now deceased, and my father-in-law managed to get by with nothing more than a .22 handgun for anything they needed to shoot, mostly snakes in the case of my father.
Buy War Bonds.
Old January 19, 2006, 03:33 PM   #18
Plated

I have been carrying a Ruger SP101 for years, but have been considering a move to the walther P22. Even if I decide not to use it for CC....what a cool gun to target shoot with
Old January 19, 2006, 03:37 PM   #19
281 Quad Cam

I don't know if multiple .22 hits are better one 9mm hit, or any combination of comparisons as such.

But I DO know, that a .22 is better than absolutely no firearm, which is what I would carry if the Taurus did not fill that role.

I've never made the argument that the .22 is superior to anything else, except for bare hands. If it doesn't fire, its no worse than starting with bare hands. If it jams, its no worse than bare hands. If the rounds fail to stop the assailant, again, no worse than bare hands. I went the first 21 years of my life without carrying guns, and sometimes still do. (and live to tell.) So if I'm already wearing something condusive to throwing a .22 in, why not?

PLATED,
If you decide that you are not going to carry it, do consider a Ruger MK or Browning Buckmark for target shooting, as they are very accurate, with good triggers, and great reliability reputations. The Walther isn't bad but it does get alot of negative reviews, and lemons get out regularly.
Old January 19, 2006, 04:03 PM   #20
Plated

Quote:
If you decide that you are not going to carry it, do consider a Ruger MK or Browning Buckmark for target shooting, as they are very accurate, with good triggers, and great reliability reputations. The Walther isn't bad but it does get alot of negative reviews, and lemons get out regularly.
Thanks for that info, I guess I need to read some review on them. As for both of the recomendations... I currently own a Ruger MKII, and have shot my father's Browning buckmark on many outings. I love both of those pistols for targets

**publically admits to being a rimfire junkie**

I must admit that the Walther appeals to me from the look and feel side of things (only) so far. I have held them at a local shop and gun show so far(no range time). For the price point....it will eventually make its way into my inventory I am sure. Maybe I won't get a lemon, and I will not be expecting the accuracy of the above mentioned firearms. If it performs well, and proves itself reliable....I could see myself using it as a CCW on light dress summer outings.
Old January 19, 2006, 08:23 PM   #21
payne

Wife to be carries the P22 with CCI Stingers in it when she actually carries.
Old January 20, 2006, 08:09 PM   #22
Mr. Chitlin

Up until I picked up my P3AT a year ago, I carried a Taurus PT22 nickel plated many a mile. I preferred the Glock 27, but there were times when it just did not fit the clothing I was wearing at the time.
Old January 20, 2006, 09:34 PM   #23
LICCW

S&w 317

I sometimes carry my S&W 317. 8 rounds of CCI Stingers. 10oz. Light as a feather. Like your not carrying at all--but you are.
Old January 20, 2006, 09:52 PM   #24
Ronny

After much reading and several trips to the shop to fondle it with my own hands, I may be picking up a Walther P22 for myself after all.

I love my .45, but I feel like I'm chucking quarters at paper when I take it to the range for "plinking".
Old January 21, 2006, 12:04 AM   #25
stevensc

On occasion I've carried a Beretta 21A .22cal. with CCI Stingers. I never had to use it so I can't say how effective, or inefective, it may be. I know it is quite accurate and easy to conceal.
Normally I will carry my S&W 642.
Stingers , doesn't sound like a very effective round does it? Not that I would like to be hit by one!
Steve