The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 10, 2005, 11:45 PM   #101
tintcutter

If you buy a low cost gun, cycle a round through it and look for firing pin marks on the primer. No firing pin retention spring/mechanism means it is more dangerous to you than anything else.

BTW, I consider bad design, not price to be the most important aspect of a "cheap gun". Like the way having money in the bank doesn't make a person classy. I like classy, thoughtfully designed weaponry at whatever price.
Old February 11, 2005, 08:34 PM   #102
Ignition

they are coming out with a .45acp carbine this spring

lets push for legislation to ban toe-nail clippers because airports believe they are deadly

a 9mm is really just a .45 set on stun

KEEP YOUR BOOGER HOOK OFF THE BANG SWITCH OF A GLOCK!
~~~~~~~~~~
from MAFIA INFORMANT SAMMY "THE BULL" GRAVANO
Quote:
"Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have
nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun."
Old February 11, 2005, 10:43 PM   #103
wile_coyote

JSF,

I stand corrected...

Be cool, be safe and enjoy....
Old February 11, 2005, 11:46 PM   #104
snacktrack

You have to admit...

It is pretty amazing that someone can even make a firearm that WORKS for a $100. When I was paging through my new Handgunner's buyer's guide and saw them, I was like [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]? Is this a misprint??

I am very suprised to see people writing that they havent had any problem with them. I myself wouldnt buy one, they are ugly as heck. But I must admit, I do applaud Hi Point for making a pistol that works for this cheap. Its pretty amazing actually.

THere is somethin for everybody out there. Being a gun snob,Ill stick to my expensive scandium/titanium S&W's
Old February 12, 2005, 11:20 PM   #105
jsflagstad

Range Update on my Hi-Point 40 S&W

Well, as I said I worked with the 40 today as it had a few failure to eject (FTE)problems, and failure to fires (FTF).

At first, I thought that it was just dirty because I had shot nearly 1000 rnds since it was strip cleaned last at the factory. Upon disassembly (Not that hard by the way), the gun did look to be moderatly dirty. There were some shavings that had come from the firing pin tunnel. Things were pretty rough in there and this prooved to be the root of my FTF problems.

I set up a quick make shift jig and line bored the tunnel and polished it with 3 different grits of polishing compounds at about 1200 rpm. OK, the FTF problem solved in less than 30 mins.

Next, on to the FTE issue. I attempted to cycle empty casings out of the chamber. The chamber seemed real tight, so I again disassembled the gun and polished the chamber with the jig I had made, as well as polishing up and down the barrel. I then re-assembled the gun and went outside for a test fire.

The FTF issue was definately gone, but the FTE issue was still with me.

Well, back to the basement to look at the next culprit, the extractor. The extractor checked to have plenty of spring pressure and looked to be engaging the casing properly. Just for kicks, I pulled the extractor out to have a look. I took it out and tapped it on an anvil to ensue its flatness. I then took a stone and sharpened the tooth a bit and actually opened up the bite ever so slightly. Now I re-assembled again and went out for a test fire.

This time everything worked! No issues at all. 10 slow fires with no issues, and 10 rapid fires with no issues.

I went back to the shop to load up some hand loads. I loaded 175 grain lead SWC with 5 grains of Bullseye for about 950 FPS. This prooved to be a real good load for this gun.

Some of my best groups were less than 2 inches at 10 yards. After about 50 rounds, I started in on my 50 yard targets. I didn't check any grouping at this yardage, but could get the gun to hit the 8" gong to my satisfaction at this yardage.

This Hi-Point 40 S&W is finally creeping up on the accuracy and reliability of my 9mm Hi-point. I think that polishing the bore did wonders for the accuracy on this pistol.

Again, I have nothing bad to say about Hi-Points. They are a great gun for the price. Sure, I had to do what I consider to be mild maintenance to this gun, but to tell you the truth, I kind of found it fun. This is the first automatic pistol I have ever disassembled, and I found it very easy to poke my way around and assess what needed attention.

I plan to take a look at the 9mm in the similar areas as I did the 40.

Hi-Point gets a 10 in my book for a "Bang for the Buck" score.

Chow For Now,

JSF
Old February 13, 2005, 04:59 PM   #106
Te Anau

WOW-a Hi-Point "fluff and buff"! This is the first ive heard about.Thankfully my comp 9 hasnt needed it.
Old February 13, 2005, 06:47 PM   #107
jsflagstad

My 9 has always been better than my 40

Te,

My 9 has always been better as far as accuracy and reliability goes. Today, I switched from Wolf ammo in the 9mm to UMC and the accuracy suffered a bit, but the 9mm has yet to have a single failure or jamb.

JSF
Old February 13, 2005, 08:24 PM   #108
oldmantodd

I gotta chime in...

I got the Hi-Point 9 as a beginner pistol and just like tattoos, motorcycles, etc. you cant just have one pistol...

It served it's purpose, it got me hooked, I take it out about once a month to practice technique of breathing, stance, etc. and it goes bang as it should. I bought the extended magazine and it has been working well too... The only thing I had to do with the mags, is to spread the tips of the mags where the bullets load into the feed ramp, there were a few misfeeds until then...

I also found the ghost ring to give me some accuracy, so I too leave it on there...

I like the Hi-Point, it has a place in my heart for being the first (I was a virgin )..

As far as cleaning, the punch pin is easy to remove..

FWIW I also carry a XD-40 and a P3AT concealed..

Of course I see you have already purchased, but I thought I would add positive notes to the thread...

T
Old March 2, 2005, 08:24 PM   #109
hummelsander

I still have my JC .40 Hi-Point. They sent me a new slide, firing pin, and all the springs. The new slide is quite a bit lighter. The only jamming problems I have had are with magazines being too tight. One thing they did tell me was to use OEM roll pins instead of something off the hardware shelf.

I've never really had to "fluff and buff". I did polish the feed ramp a little recently. Seem to help with the feed a little. And I did adjust each magazine until they each fed properly.

Rapid fire seems fine. I do want a new polymer and a new .40 carbine. I might just do the Ruger P944 with the Ruger Carbine. The Ruger magazines interchange between the two just like the Hi-Points.
Old March 3, 2005, 12:06 AM   #110
Ignition

look again at the hi-point carbine. those things are great. and alot cheaper than the ruger. and they feel better imo. and you cant beat the warranty

lets push for legislation to ban toe-nail clippers because airports believe they are deadly

a 9mm is really just a .45 set on stun

KEEP YOUR BOOGER HOOK OFF THE BANG SWITCH OF A GLOCK!
~~~~~~~~~~
from MAFIA INFORMANT SAMMY "THE BULL" GRAVANO
Quote:
"Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have
nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun."
Old March 3, 2005, 07:17 PM   #111
KP345PR

I absolutely, whole heartedly hate my Hi-Point .40.

I have had the gun for about 2 years, and i've broken 2 firing pins, and have had hundreds upon hundreds of FTFs, FTEs, and stovepipes. The gun has approx. 2500 rounds through it, and it's been a complete nightmare; mag after mag.

And field stripping! Oh man is it a hassle! With my rugers, S&Ws, or even my AR-15, the only tools i need to take it apart is my hands. When I read the manual and found out i need to bring a pin punch with me to the range, i immedeately regretted buying the gun.

I gave up on it, and it now sits in my gun safe, probably never to be shot again. good riddance. I would never, ever trust the lives of my family on such an unreliable tool!
Old March 3, 2005, 10:07 PM   #112
hummelsander

KP345PR,

The new slide fix all my problems. The old style slides were heavy and sometimes mismilled. The new style is lighter and never jams.
Old March 3, 2005, 10:12 PM   #113
KP345PR

Thanks! Maybe i'll try that. IMO its a shame to let any gun go to waste. If I can get it to work and function reliably, then it's good for all.

-KP345PR
Old March 3, 2005, 10:36 PM   #114
Handy

You know, I just bought two well used, but completely serviceable, S&W .38 revolvers for $260 total. Those $130 guns deliver great accuracy and have a lifetime of service left in them.

I do not get why people buy "cheap" guns when they could buy bargain guns.
Old March 3, 2005, 10:59 PM   #115
chris in va

I paid $120 for a used 9mm carbine at a gun show recently. The previous owner really shot the hell out of it and it has jamming problems, but when it does shoot the thing is fantastic. Let's put it this way, the front sight is too wide for the groups this thing can achieve. Suprisingly it feels better than other carbines twice the price as well. Everyone I know likes shooting it.

And guys, you have to understand a couple things about Hi Point. They cost $100-$200, yes. But think about this, how much did we find out Glocks cost to make...$75-$90? Glock is making a fat profit, no question. Hi Point doesn't make such a large margin, but they produce arms meant for the people that can't afford $500 for a new one. By offering a lifetime replacement warranty, if it does wear out...send it in for crying out loud!! It's not meant to 'last a lifetime'.

I'm picking up a 9mm compact next gun show just to see what it's all about.
Old April 18, 2005, 07:13 PM   #116
hummelsander

Still looking for a Holster for my .40. Got an Uncle Mike's but it's getting worn out and flops around a lot making too much nose.
Old April 19, 2005, 01:23 AM   #117
airman

wow what a great thread

i laughed, i cried, lol never even heard of them. checked out the site. yes they are ugly, but if there reliable who gives a sh**T i do enjoy going to the range weekly. cant keep doing that with only one pistol, for a 100 bucks, crap it got me thinkin. cant be buying 5-600 $ pistols as often as i wish on an airforce budget! lol thanx for evryones post!!!
airman....of the crewchief type
Old April 19, 2005, 06:34 AM   #118
9mmsnoopy

you get what you pay for. im sure they sell alot of them though.... to gang members.
Bushmaster AR15
Old April 19, 2005, 09:39 AM   #119
Avid Concealer

I was at the range last week and this guy was out there with a 9mm high point. He told me that it was his first time shooting it and he bought it at some pawn shop downtown. He was complaining about constant jams after 1 or 2 rounds. I asked him if he field stripped it and cleaned it before it brought it out to the range. He said "field what? Clean it how?" I said, "yeah man you have to clean and lube the gun regularly if you want it to function well." He then said, "Nawww man I don't know nothin about all that." I then shot a few more rounds off and went and got some ice cream : )
Old April 19, 2005, 12:52 PM   #120
jsflagstad

I use an Ace holster

Hummel,

I use an Ace holster with mine and have had good luck with it.

JSF
Old April 19, 2005, 01:22 PM   #121
newtown27

The fact that this is debated so much should tell you something. No one ever has these debates about Bryco or Jennings or any other manufacturers of inexpensive handguns. We can all pretty much agree that those are a POS.

Yes, you do get what you pay for 99.9% of the time. But my Hi-Point JHP45 has fit nicely into that remaining .1%. If I had to do over I would buy it again, and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to enjoy the benefits of owning a reliable handgun without taking food out of their family's mouths.

EDIT -- Re: Holsters... Liberty Sports Mfg. makes one that will fit the .40 and the .45.
Old April 19, 2005, 01:40 PM   #122
Duxman

Let me add: my father bought a hi point 9mm pistol and has been very happy with it. (His original .357 mag was stolen in a robbery and the Kalifornia Police recovered it but has not returned the evidence.)

One of my friends Tom has had the high point carbine for many years, is an avid shooter and has never reported any issues with it. In fact he loves his carbine.

You get what you pay for guys. Do your research, I think like any other gun company, they are going to have some duds, but counter that with good customer service and a good warranty, it makes the gun well worth the money.

Personally, what I look for is reliability, accuracy, coolness points, cost. Hi Point has 3 out of 4. I would buy this weapon.

But since I can afford better weapons, I probably would not put them on my list.

Yes the gun is beyond ugly, its probably "fugly." But if it works for some folks - let bygones be bygones.
Old April 19, 2005, 03:21 PM   #123
Clone

My hi point 45 has been one hellva pistol. Not one FTE or FTF in the 661 rounds Iv put through it. Accuracy is superb I normaly get 2inch groups at 15yards. For a gun this inexpencive id have to give it two thumbs up. Im also geting a hi point 9mm compact this weekend.
Old April 19, 2005, 04:09 PM   #124
Bullrock

After reading all of the posts, I decided to check out the Hi-Point at genitron.com. After viewing I have come to one sure conclusion. They may shoot well for some, but that is the ugliest handgun I have ever laid eyes on.
Old April 19, 2005, 06:40 PM   #125
hummelsander

The old pictures of the Hi Point don't do it justice. You have to see a new one. They're a little better on the eyes.
Closed Thread