The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 14, 2008, 09:49 AM   #1
trappy

Xd Are Reloads Ok?

Hi Folks,
Does the XD have a fully supported chamber ? Are reloads safe in the XD ?
I am comparing this to the Glock not having a fully supported chamber .
Its been said that the glock should not shoot reloads do to this isuue.
Has there been talk about this same issue with the XD's ?
Are they safe to shoot reloads?

thanks in advance.....
Old July 14, 2008, 09:57 AM   #2
sandbag

I hadd problems with reloads in Glocks.Never an issue with an XD9 or XD 45-I used the XD45 in pin shoots and never had an FTF ot FTE.
Old July 14, 2008, 10:03 AM   #3
45_Shooter

The reload restriction is largely a Glock issue. Basically if the rifling isn't described as polygonal rifling, it's usually safe to say lead reloads are OK. FMJ reloads are OK in just about anything, although sometimes the design of a pistol will reduce case life, as some have reported with Glocks.
Old July 14, 2008, 10:08 AM   #4
Powder_Burn

Yes - XD's have fully supported chambers and conventional rifling.
Old July 14, 2008, 03:20 PM   #5
ssilicon

Fully supported chamber = okay to do reloads.
Not fully supported chamber = probably not safe to do reloads.

Polygonal rifling = not okay for naked lead bullets, stick to jackets only.
Traditional rifling = probably okay for naked lead bullets.

Glock in many cases = not fully supported chamber and using polygonal rifling.
Old July 14, 2008, 03:22 PM   #6
Redneck with a 40

I've shot several thousand reloads out of my XD-40, zero problems, handles the hot ones real nice too.
Old July 14, 2008, 04:30 PM   #7
Smaug

I think all gun manufacturers these days say not to use reloads, strictly as a liability issue.

I shot reloads out of my Glock quite successfully. FMJ 147 and 115 gr. I loaded them just hot enough to cycle the action reliably. Even on the +P end, things were fine.

In my experience, for auto pistols, reloads that are slightly hot are safer than not hot enough.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old July 14, 2008, 04:38 PM   #8
bamccall

XD

I'm trying to decide on a purchase of a new hand gun, and being sort of a novice I would like to get some opinions from some of you about Glock's and XD'S. I can see from alot of polls on the web that its sort of a toss up, but I can't afford to go out and keep trading on guns, I need to make this purchase count! So if I could get some input on this from some of you that has handled both brands I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, Bennie
Old July 14, 2008, 05:44 PM   #9
dave421

trappy, the chamber issue has been "fixed" with Glocks if I'm not mistaken. The problem was primarily in the .40 cal. pistols and there have been many pictures in the past few years of increased chamber support over older barrels. AFAIK, Glock has never mentioned a change though so.... Regardless, the "problem" can be rectified by purchasing an aftermarket bbl for about $150-200.

bamccall, sorry but nobody can really help you. I've owned both and still consider both to be absolutely great handguns. I prefer the XD line as it fits me a bit better & I'm a bit more accurate with them but there are others with my same experience that prefer the Glock. You really CAN'T go wrong with either if you're looking for a good gun. The best thing you can do is shoot both of them. See which fits you better. See which you're more accurate with. That's the only way to find out which one is a better choice for you.
Old July 14, 2008, 07:56 PM   #10
Sigma 40 Blaster

Yes.

I watched a guy shoot either an overpressure load or had a case failure in his XD .45. It was very obvious, the sound and recoil was way louder than any .45 or even 10mm should have been.

He picked all the brass pieces out of his hand, cleaned the barrel, inspected the guts of the gun. He put it back together and finished the steel match.

I wouldn't expect the same results from a kaboom in a higher pressure caliber but I was impressed with the gun, not so impressed with the guy reloading and shooting it. The SO let him finish, no one would stand within five yards of the guy while shooting except the SO.
Old July 14, 2008, 09:12 PM   #11
Texas Solo

I'm trying to decide on a purchase of a new hand gun, and being sort of a novice I would like to get some opinions from some of you about Glock's and XD'S. I can see from alot of polls on the web that its sort of a toss up, but I can't afford to go out and keep trading on guns, I need to make this purchase count! So if I could get some input on this from some of you that has handled both brands I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, Bennie

I have both an XD9 5" Tactical and a G17. Their both great guns, so you can't go wrong either way. Dave421 is dead on:
I prefer the XD line as it fits me a bit better & I'm a bit more accurate with them but there are others with my same experience that prefer the Glock. I shoot the G17 better, can't get the XD to group near as well...FOR ME. I do notice that the higher bore axis on the XD recoils more than my G17, but I actually like the XD grip better. Go figure, I shoot the G17 quite well. Try renting them both.