The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 19, 2000, 10:55 PM   #1
Watchman

I'm wanting to do a little experimentation with some .50 caliber sabots. Anybody have any experience with them ? I shoot .30 calibers sabots but I'm having a hard time finding load data for the big .50's.

If the .50 sabots are anything like the .30 sabots, we ought to be seeing some extremely flat shooting loads out there. Since I like to shoot at 600- 1000 yards, I would like to know about bullet drop , best loads ,etc.

Also, has anyone ever tried a "double " sabot ? Putting a .22 into a .30 sabot and putting it into a .50 sabot ? I know the bullet would have to be very tough to stand the speed, but has anyone ever tried this ?

Just curious. Any help would be appreciated.
Old August 20, 2000, 07:33 AM   #2
Brett Bellmore

http://www.maadigriffin.com/sabots.htm might be of interest to you.

Be an interesting experiment to try, though I'd be worried about the stability of the bullet in flight, given that the rifling likely wouldn't get it up to a sufficient spin. Probably wouldn't get as much extra speed as you'd expect, either, given factors like the expansion rate of the gasses; At the kinds of muzzle velocities you're seeking, the powder doesn't have much time to burn, does it?

------------------
Sic semper tyrannis!

[This message has been edited by Brett Bellmore (edited August 20, 2000).]
Old August 20, 2000, 09:23 AM   #3
Watchman

Suposedly all the powder burns in the first 36" of barrel. As I have a 40" barrel , burn should not be a problem. Most of the stuff that I shoot seems to be very efficient, with very little if any powder residue left in the barrel.

BTW, ever heard of intellectualcapitol.com ?
Old August 20, 2000, 11:25 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Watchman, I was over at IC.com yesterday; they're being bought out. I didn't follow up for the grimy details...

The posters at IC were definitely in two categories: Rational, and irrational. That second group was almost record-setting! Too much flaming to suit me...

Art