The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 28, 2001, 04:23 PM   #1
shamster

UPS or FedEx for shipping handguns?

Ok...forgetting about UPS's crappy policy on handguns, and forgetting about any possible ways around the regulations.

If I ship a handgun the right way (following the carrier's policies), what is better in terms of ease and price...UPS or FedEx?
Old November 28, 2001, 06:35 PM   #2
gryphon

I've had problems in the past with UPS losing my packages. I stopped shipping with them about a year and a half ago. I either send thongs USPS or FEDEX.
Old November 28, 2001, 06:49 PM   #3
JamesA

I too lost a new shotgun off the UPS truck. After ordering and waiting and tracking. Gone..It was on the truck as confirmed by the companys office. However when the big brown truck arrived. Gone, The driver insisted it was on the truck but it just wasn't there...After another long wait I had sent via FED X and had no problems...never again Will the brown trucks carry my packages..
Old November 28, 2001, 08:42 PM   #4
Dave T

Like the others, I have lost things with UPS. They also have a local policy that they open your package to inspect contents. Since I haven't decided to give up my 4th Amendment rights any more than the ones for the 2nd Amendment, I won't do business voluntarily with the brown trucks. Others still send me stuff with them but that's their choice.
Everything I have sent via Fed Ex has gotten there, when they said it would. They cost more but I'm getting what I'm paying for.
Old November 28, 2001, 08:45 PM   #5
blades67

Generally speaking I think UPS is a little cheaper.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old November 29, 2001, 03:36 AM   #6
landshark

FedEx is the way to go.
Old November 29, 2001, 03:54 AM   #7
jimmy

My Beretta 85F was stolen from UPS en route back to me from the Beretta service department. The theft was almost certainly the work of a UPS employee (the parcel had been opened, the pistol extracted, and the parcel then resealed and sent on its way). Subsequently I had an interesting conversation with the veteran shipping manager at Beretta USA. He said the only shipping method that had never failed him was Registered U.S. Mail. That's what I use now for sending guns to the factory. Or, rather, that's what my dealer uses, since I pay him to do the mailing for me.

But if I had to choose between UPS and FedEx only, I'd go FedEx.

HTH.
Old November 29, 2001, 07:41 AM   #8
snappy

gryphon, you send your thongs USPS or FEDEX...hmmm.
Old November 29, 2001, 02:14 PM   #9
Bart Noir

thongs?

gryphon, if you only ship a couple or three thongs, you can just mail them in one of those padded envelopes. 'Course, for a whole bunch, and for, say, underwire bras and lacy slips, you need to put them in a box. Either way, USPS can do it.

Bart Noir
WWCED - What would Clint Eastwood do?
Old November 29, 2001, 05:10 PM   #10
PKAY

FedEX all the way. Very friendly, reasonable cost...But, you MUST ship from a FedEx facility in person, not a drop box
or Mail Boxes Etc. type store. The last gun I shipped to Colt followed the axiom, "Don't ask, don't tell, just
insure like hell!" Also, the address should not indicate the manufacturer, if that's where it's going. They, the
mfg., will provide you an address that is, well, "non descript," so to speak.
Old November 29, 2001, 08:55 PM   #11
Clark Kent

I will never use Mail Boxes Etc. again. I was in a hurry to get my S&W 29 fixed before hunting season, so instead of waiting to send it from a FedEx station, I went to a Mail Boxes Etc.

Found out afterward, on FedEx's website, they would have charged me about half what I paid Mail Boxes. The owner laughed when I went back to inquire. He said, "We can charge anything we want to."

I said, "Fine, but you've just had your last business from me."
Old November 29, 2001, 10:36 PM   #12
lonegunman

Dave T:

While it certainly isnt nice for a company to open your package, I dont think it violates the 4th or any other amendment.
Old November 29, 2001, 10:46 PM   #13
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello. I'm told that FedEx tracking of packages is better than that of UPS.

Best.