The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 22, 2008, 10:50 PM   #1
skydiver3346

.380 Auto

Is the Walther model PP in .380 a good, reliable automatic pistol as compared to other .380 autos like Browning, etc. If loaded with high powered hollow points, it should be a good defense weapon, right?
Old February 22, 2008, 11:05 PM   #2
MWM

I like the Walther, although it recoils in a snappy fashion and may bite the web of your hand. Neither is a deal killer, however.
I had one, actually a PPK/S that would, after some six hundred rounds, not break in and become relialble, so I traded it off and bought the Bersa. In four years it has never had any failure of any kind and is very accurate.
In the .380, there is a school of thought that advises ball ammo as opposed to hp, to maximize penetration.
MWM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 380.jpg (58.2 KB, 132 views)
Old February 23, 2008, 12:28 AM   #3
dsk

It never ceases to amaze me how any caliber under .40 is universally regarded as a wimp round. A .380 is just fine for defense as long as you choose decent ammo, and in this case I'm talking about JHP's. The exception would be tiny hideout autos like the P3AT, where their stubby barrels might not yield enough velocity to ensure expansion. While a larger caliber is always preferable, there are other factors to consider when choosing a defensive sidearm. I've carried my old Colt M1908 .380 on many occasions where I was formally dressed and needed something as small and flat as possible. Even my Kahr P9 was out of the question during those times. While a .380 probably shouldn't be your primary defensive sidearm, they have their place and should be included in any battery of defense handguns.
Old February 23, 2008, 01:56 AM   #4
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk
A .380 is just fine for defense as long as you choose decent ammo
I agree. I do tend to use these pistols more for carrying, however.

For the home where size isn't really a factor, all of my defense pistols are .401 or over.

However, my idea of SD out in the world is not to slug it out toe-to-toe as if I was in an IPSC match. My first concern is safety and security. In that case, getting as far away from trouble as fast as you can seems prudent.

A .380 ACP pistol suits that job. It's light enough to carry, with modern hollowpoints it packs enough punch and it will cover your backside as you move to escape.

For the good guys without sworn duties, that makes about the perfect set of circumstances.
Old February 23, 2008, 02:09 AM   #5
Night Watch
Registration in progress

The straight blowback action can be a little snappy; but, yes, inside 15 yards I'd say the Walther PPK-S is an adequate pistol for self defense. I, even, prefer it to a small 357 magnum revolver. Remember, nobody says you only have to fire once! Anyway, I always carry two extra magazines with my Walther; and, at relatively close range (12-15 yards) I've never felt undergunned.

Edited: I, too, use FMJ cartridges.

Last edited by Night Watch; February 23, 2008 at 03:25 AM.
Old February 23, 2008, 02:14 AM   #6
IanS

Single stack magazine .380's like the PPK or SIG P232 tend to recoil a bit harsher for most people. But the advantage is its a single stack and they tend to be more compact. Double stack .380's like Browning, Beretta's, or CZ tend to recoil less (easier to shoot) but they're thicker and larger. As for reliability the P232 is reportedly more reliable than the PPK's for the single stacks but the PPK/S for example is more compact. For double stacks the Browning/Beretta's are reportedly "a bit" more reliable than the CZ's.

For self defense .380 ammo I feel more comfortable with FMJ's to ensure adequate penetration (at least 12") over JHP's that might expand but may not penetrate enough to be effective.
Old February 23, 2008, 02:30 AM   #7
Bill DeShivs

The .380 has adequate penetration. Because it doesn't meet the ridiculous FBI recommendation means very little in the real world.
Old February 23, 2008, 02:34 AM   #8
IanS

As I stated, its what I'm comfortable with. And I forgot to mention, I also prefer the more feed friendly profile of FMJ's in my .380 auto. .380 autos in MY experience (CZ83, PPK's, SIG P232's, Beretta 84, Bersa) seem not to be as reliable as most 9mm, .40, .45 service pistols. So I feel more comfortable with a more feed friendly profile in .380 caliber. YMMV.

Last edited by IanS; February 23, 2008 at 04:17 AM.
Old February 23, 2008, 07:36 AM   #9
blume357

The Walther PPk is a tried and true compact pistol...

If I was going to get another I would for sure go with the newer S&W made ones with the extended protector over the back grip. My Wather will bite you for sure...

Before you dropped the money on the above recomended Wather I would make one more suggestion... hold and if at all possible shoot a Sig 232.... the Sig is a little bit larger but is oh so much better.
Old February 23, 2008, 07:47 AM   #10
Kreyzhorse

Overall I believe the .380 is the minimum that one should carry for self defense and with JHP it should do a decent job as a stopper.

I do believe in packing the biggest round you can however, while admitting that there is a trade off between caliber and concealability. I believe that there are 9mm's out there that are approaching the size of the .380 you are looking at so that might be another option to consider.
Old February 23, 2008, 08:21 AM   #11
DrLaw

Mauser HSc

The Mauser HSc is a nice .380, too. Like the PPK, it will bite your hand if you let it. But I still like it as a fine, accurate weapon. I got a 3-shot 3/8th inch group from one I had one day. Really pleased with that performance, and any type of bullet went through it, FMJ or HP, didn't matter. Even that snubby 88 grain HP from Speer would cycle, once I figured out how far to load it into the case.

The Doc is out now.
Old February 23, 2008, 10:37 AM   #12
Moe Howard

The .380 is a plenty good caliber for CCW. I carry a Sig p229 as much as I can get by with, but here in Texas in the summer, and your outside a lot, sweat and your carry gun can start to drag your pants down. On those really hot days or when I will be walking all day like on the river in San Antonio, I carry my Beretta 84. When I got that gun I had Trijicon Night Sights put on it and in, only God knows how many rounds, that gun has never failed,,,,,,,,ever. It is accurate reliable, light weight, and much softer on the shooting hand than most .380s. I have also had a Walther PPK/S and it is a great small carry gun but not very much fun at the range. The Walther I had was very reliable but I have large hands and I often got the famous Walther bite.
Old February 23, 2008, 10:46 AM   #13
RogerTPA

The 380 is a good round, but its all about shot placement. Most folks don't realize that it is a 9mm cartridge:

.380 aka 9mm kurtz, 9mm short, 9x17mm
9mm Makarov aka 9x18mm (same effectiveness as a .38 spl)
9mm Parabellum aka 9x19mm

The only difference is 1mm in case capacity.
Old February 23, 2008, 11:17 AM   #14
xrocket

I CC a Sig 239 in 357sig and for light wear my Seecamp 32. I do have a Seecamp .380 which will come in June and that will be my new lightweight carry.

On the other hand, my wife does not particularly like the Seecamp and wanted something slightly larger with a better handhold. A couple of weeks ago I bought her a new lightweight all blue Sig 232 with houge grips and she loves it! The rubber grips with finger grooves really helps with the control and does soften the felt recoil a bit although she is not really recoil sensitive. It's her pistol now and she won't give it up. It easily fits in her walking pack and purse and at 18oz is a good in-between size and weight.

Myself, I really like the .380 round and personally believe with the right training and mindset for a pure close in life threatening defensive encounter it will do it's job. Is it a target range gun? That depends on your own personal perspective. Last weekend for fun I constantly put all eight rounds into a ten inch by twenty four inch COM target at fifteen yards. Ten yards was all too easy and five yards .... well, you get my point.

When you find the right firearm for your defined personal needs, you just know it's right. BTW, I was able to buy it from Bachman Guns & Pawn in Dallas for $489. plus tax which was the best price I could find anywhere including the Internet.

Good luck on your quest and good shooting all.
Old February 23, 2008, 11:24 AM   #15
Pilot

I often carry a Beretta M85FS. I guess its considered a "full size" .380 these days but its a pretty light and slim package for 9 rounds of .380. I like it a lot.
Old February 23, 2008, 11:28 AM   #16
tshadow6

A Tampa, FL firefiighter used a .380 to kill a criminal with one round. Don't discount the .380 as being too weak.
Old February 23, 2008, 11:32 AM   #17
Majic

While the Walther is a very good pistol it does have the tendency to bite if your grip gets up to high and they have rather heavy trigger pulls. Due to it's design not much can be done to lighten the pull. Barring these issues the pistol is a well proven design that has been copied many times over the years.
Old February 23, 2008, 11:39 AM   #18
Night Watch
Registration in progress

I don't know! I think this PPK-S, 'hammer bite' thing is being overstated. In 30 + years of ownership (and several thousand fired rounds) I've only been bitten twice that I can recall - Both times when I wasn't paying attention!

In all this time I have never - not even once - had my Walther jam or fail to fire. During this time the recoil spring has been changed twice; and, I'm presently running it with a Wolff recoil spring.

If you want a valid complaint: The (first) double action trigger pull is horrendous!

PS: My Walther is one of the old German-made pistols.
Old February 23, 2008, 11:47 AM   #19
NGIB

I have a Sig P232 in .380 and it is certainly one of my go to guns. It's extremely accurate, easy to shoot and very slim and easy to conceal. I keep my SD mag loaded with alternating JHP and FMJ so I figure I have adequate stopping power. Besides all the technical and mechanical reasons it's a good gun, I think it's one of the best looking guns I own and it feels great in my hand. I have a hard time choosing between this and my Kahr E9 as my primary carry, and it's now being challenged by my Kahr PM40.

I trade a lot of guns, I'll have this Sig for the duration (unless my wife sees it then it's history)...

I'm old, grumpy, and jaded - still vertical though...
Old February 23, 2008, 12:04 PM   #20
9mm1033

Too bad you couldn't ask all those buried 6 feet under and shot dead with a .380 (or .22 for that matter) round if it is a sufficient defensive caliber.
Old February 23, 2008, 12:06 PM   #21
Agios

Because it's my primary CCW, I had my PPK worked on by a qualified gunsmith who did a ramp and trigger job. That first pull is no longer an issue.
Old February 23, 2008, 12:37 PM   #22
torpeau

Quote:
A .380 is just fine for defense as long as you choose decent ammo, and in this case I'm talking about JHP's.
What about PowRBall?
Old February 23, 2008, 02:19 PM   #23
flusher

1967 non import marked German PPK 380

Old February 23, 2008, 03:33 PM   #24
guypowell

I have a Bersa 380, and in the 3,000 or so rounds that I've put though it, it has never failed. That said, I had a friend "leave" his Walter PPK/S with me while on an extended vacation and I managed to put 1,000 rounds through it before he returned. Absolutely fell in love with that pistol to the point that I've got to get one myself.
The SIG P232 is also a wonderful 380 and a bit cheaper than a Walther.
Old February 23, 2008, 04:29 PM   #25
ElectricHellfire

I also used to carry the Bersa 380. Loved its size and ease of shooting. I always felt it had almost nill recoil. Like shooting a .22 really. I only stopped carrying it because I moved up in caliber. Still carry it sometimes in the summer.