The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 20, 2005, 01:56 PM   #1
Lance5050

Older rifle info request

Glad I ran across this site. This will likely sound stupid to more experienced shooters but:

I recently received my uncle's Remmington 721 in .270 cal which he said his father bought for him in 1954. He has been in a wheel chair due to an accident since the mid 1970s and the gun - while cleaned and oiled and looking to me to be in fine shape - hasn't been fired in 30 years or so. My question - are there any things for me to look out for before just buying some ammo and taking it to the range?

I usaully shoot a target .22LR Rem 597 and am not used to the higher power guns. Also I wondered if ammo is more powerful now than in 1954 and there may be some rounds that I shouldn't use. Thanks in advance guys...L5050
Old July 20, 2005, 02:13 PM   #2
Mike Hull

The Remington 721 is nearly identical to the current model 700. Just make sure it's clean, buy the ammo of your choice for that caliber and shoot it.

They are nice rifles, enjoy it. No difference in ammo available now than there was then, at least as far as power goes. There may be more of a bullet weight/type selection, but that's about it.
Old July 20, 2005, 03:15 PM   #3
Death from Afar

If the rifle really hasnt been fired in a long while- 20+ years- it never hurts to get a gunsmith to quickly check it out. This is certainly over careful, but I lived a very long time by being too careful. It is just possible that there could be something wrong with the rifle that could become rather nasty if you fired it. ALWAYS glasses and earmuffs with a rifle that has not been fired in a while!
Old July 21, 2005, 12:03 AM   #4
Rustic

Ammunition hasn't changed much and should not be a problem. Do check the bore thoroughly, run a few patches through to clean it, and lightly oil it after shooting. If there are any empty cartridge cases around, inspect them to make sure they are not split, stretched (shiny ring ahead of rim) or showing flattened, cratered or blown primers.

Lighter weight bullets will be more comfortable to shoot initially. First shots should be 25 yd from target to ensure hits on the paper. I second the protective gear for eyes and ears. You may want to use a standard shooting position such as prone or sitting rather than a bench, and don't shoot too many rounds in the first session. Get acquainted gradually, and you should have a long and enjoyable association with the 721. It's a good, solid gun that you should be able to hand down to your child someday. If you want to know more about the 270 Winchester cartridge, read something by Jack OConnor--he was a big fan and had plenty of experience with it (in his beloved pre-64 model 70s).
Old July 21, 2005, 03:48 AM   #5
LAK

In your position, I would second the idea of a trip to a gunsmith for a thorough inspection and clean. In addition to making sure the trigger, bolt assembly and safety are 100% - the inside of the barrel and chamber need a good swabbing with some solvent to remove any old dried oil residue or other crud that might have dried up inside. 30 years is a long time.

As an alternative you could ask your uncle to be present and guide you through a thorough strip, clean and check.
Old July 22, 2005, 01:48 PM   #6
Lance5050

PS - Scope

Thanks for the advice on the 721.

Also, anybody know about old scopes? This rifle has a Weaver scope marked K4 and then D or B 60 (the latter engraving being lighter and faded). I don't think it's variable and the targetting view is marked with a sort of T instead of regular crosshairs. It's clear so I imagine it will work fine.

What power do you-all think it is (my guess is 4X). I would just call my uncle but he's not been feeling well lately and I don't want to bother him.

Thanks - L5050
Old July 22, 2005, 02:11 PM   #7
drinks

Old rifle

That 4 power El Paso built Weaver will likely be in good condition in 2105, steel construction and really built, the scopes being sold under the Weaver name now are pale , asian imitations of the real thing.
Don
Old July 22, 2005, 03:12 PM   #8
tINY

The reticle is called post and crossbar or "german". The cross bars should not touch and the post should come to a point in the center of the bars

-tINY

Old July 25, 2005, 01:55 PM   #9
Lance5050

Old scope story

Thanks for the background on the Weaver K4. Here's a (somewhat) interesting story about old scopes (in a roundabout way):

When visiting my cousin awhile back I noticed that he had my GGGGrandpa's discharge from the civil war framed. Being somewhat of a civil war buff - I got on the web and researched him (hoping he'd be a hero in a big battle) - alas no - most of the folks from S. Ill. had more in common with the south than the north so they weren't very interested in fighting them - he was drafted near the end and only did guard duty. Then I tought I'd check on G'ma's side of the family and walla - there was a Lt. Redfield who had been in a unit that saw some action in TN and MS. Still, I couldn't quite connect the bloodline. Finally I went back a generation and found the connection. Along with the info I was looking for was a brief family history stating that Lt. Redfield was the oldest son and a CW vet...also that he had a younger brother who had gone west when he was young to try mining/ranching. Only moderately successful at those he later founded the Redfiled Optics company outside of Denver.

I sure wish I'da known that when I lived out there - I would have applied for a job, what with all my knowledge of scopes (I know which end to look into on most models....lol)
Old July 25, 2005, 11:33 PM   #10
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Having one of those old Weavers lying around in the gunsafe is sorta like having a security blanket. You know they'll never lay down on you...

, Art