The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 11, 2010, 08:19 PM   #76
ice monkey

Would really like to see some photos!!
Old July 11, 2010, 09:30 PM   #77
OkieCruffler

Another great custom shop is http://www.matchgrademachine.com/ I have one of their 22LR barrels that is dumdum accurate at 100yrds.

Here's my current best looking rig...

Old July 11, 2010, 09:48 PM   #78
Blue Grass

In my young and stupid days, I bought a TEC-9. Worst P.O.S. Jam-O-Matic I ever owned. Traded it for a T/C Contender with 14" heavy barrel. Best trade I ever made. It has a T/C 2X7 scope. Before my eye sight stated to fade, I could hang with most "deer" rifles out to 100 yrds. Get a .45-70 barrel. They're a hoot.
Old July 11, 2010, 10:48 PM   #79
44 AMP
Staff

I got a Tec 9 once, mostly just to see what all the fuss was about. Tested it pretty throughly. The plastic frame cracked, but as long as it was kept fairly "wet" is didn't jam on decent ammo. did freeze up hard once on a bad reload. Trading one of them for a T/C (barrel and all?) was a great improvement in usefullness and value! Congrats.

I still often kick myself for waiting as long as I did before "discovering" the Contender. Combat/self defense shooting is a valuable skill to have, but its focus on good enough fast enough is a whole other experience than shooting Contenders. Contenders are about precision. One precise shot, at a time.

Field or target range, shooting Contenders well is a level of enjoyment I took way too long to find. There's a whole world of fun (and utility for alot of us) shooting handguns that don't fit in your pocket or hold a dozen rounds.

There's just something old fashioned about it. I find I like that.
Old July 11, 2010, 10:56 PM   #80
OkieCruffler

They are an addiction. Once I discovered Contenders I started selling off all my rifles and shotguns to fund barrel purchases. Haven't regretted it a second.
Old July 11, 2010, 11:25 PM   #81
SVO

WSM Magnum, No, I meant Dennis Bellm in Utah, who was who I had make up a couple of match grade T/C barrels for me. I'd be willing to bet that the two Bellms are the same organization, just moved to Oregon.
Old July 11, 2010, 11:40 PM   #82
OkieCruffler

Dennis is Mike's first name, I've seen him use both. I have 2 stubby barrels from him, both 6 inches, one 357 mag and one 30 Luger. Both are just joys to shoot. His lead time is really long right now but his workmanship is definately right up there with the best of them.
Old July 12, 2010, 06:44 AM   #83
Magnum Wheel Man

I have a factory 14" Hunter barrel in both 35 Remington, & in 45-70... for many years, the 45-70 was my main deer hunting rig... with a 2-7X Burris Posi Lok scope, 3 leaf clover shots off a field rest, are the norm at 75 yards...

still with warm handloads, I think my unported 375 Winchester barrel has the most bite...

I switched where I hunt & the deer are more mobile, & closer, & I switched my deer gun to a 10" 45 Colt barrel ( not the 45 Colt / .410 ) & it's equiped with a Williams fiber optic ghost ring set up, that I really like...

my newest 2 barrels were custom made by my retired machinist buddy... he machines threaded barrel reciever blocks, & threads in barrels to get correct headspace... one is a faster twist ( 1 in 9" twist ) 223 carbine barrel, & one is is a 10" - 5.7 X 28 barrel

I'd actually like my next barrel to be a 50-70 barrel, to go with my Martini single shot rifle... unfortunately my buddy's block design won't allow threading a bore as large as 50 cal... so I'll have to buy that one from another source
Old July 16, 2010, 11:53 PM   #84
Stevie-Ray

My Contender, shown here in .30-30 Super 14, and though it hasn't been fired in years, was a MOA shooter at 100 yards, back when I could do my part. It's a sweetheart to shoot and a true joy. The .45-70 Super 16 barrel I have-not so much. I strongly suggest if even considering a barrel in .45-70, you make sure it's a bull-barrel. Mine is tapered, which means with that huge bore there's not a lot of metal, and it's light as a feather. Magnaporting this barrel didn't even help much-it's nothing short of punishing and is simply no fun. I'd still like several more barrels, starting with .223 Rem.
Old July 17, 2010, 04:54 AM   #85
darkgael

Okie

Okie: that is a beautiful Contender. Two questions: what caliber is that barrel? Where did you get the grip and fore end?

I became addicted to Contenders early on. A Contender was my second pistol purchase (a Ruger Mk.II was the first).
Barrels: a couple or three .22s, .223 Rem., a wildcat from SSK - 7.62 MicroWhisper, two .30-30s, a 4" .38 Spl. from Bulberry, .357 Mag., .44 Mag, ,45-70.
The .30-30 and the .44 get the most use, both at ten inches.
Pete
Old July 17, 2010, 05:19 AM   #86
OkieCruffler

The barrel is an OTT 357 max barrel with a one of a kind brass Ross Brake. The wood is a Turkish Walnut in a Reaper pattern, only 2 exsist, made by John Cook in Arkansas. There are several problems with that rig. First off, you can't shoot it. The design of that grip works great with my rimfires, my 30 luger and my 357 mag if I load litge, but with the 357 max it's just unbelievably brutal. That dovetail just batters the web of your hand. Second, I don't believe that OTT is accepting orders at the present. I have two of his barrels, the max and a super bull 6tcu and they are far above any of my other customs. And John Cook has retired from stock making so he could go back to making guitars.

Here's the Reaper set the way I usually shoot it with an 8" Bullberry 30 luger barrel.

And then a pic of my other OTT, affectionately known as The Log. 16'5" long, 1.5" in dia and tipping the scale at just over 9.5 pounds I think I'm pushing the idea of "pistol" a little far here.
Old July 17, 2010, 07:12 AM   #87
VTRich

When I was a kid, contenders were a hot item. Everyone had them. I sold mine a long time ago, but got the hankering for one again. I opted for a G2 frame, and had a 6.5 Grendel Barrel made by SSK to go with my AR in the same caliber. I'll be adding a .223 soon! It seems there are some pretty attractive prices on used barrels.

Old July 19, 2010, 05:45 PM   #88
mrt949

MY addiction started late 1980's .
357 .hot shot
10 in octagon 44.mag OUCH
10 in 222.22 lr. 22 mag .357 mag. 30.30,7mm tcu.
14in. 22lr match .223 rem.7mm tcu .30.30.35 rem.357 max.7 /30 waters