The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 17, 2007, 05:45 PM   #1
newruger

ammo question

Just bought my first handgun (ruger gp100) prior to this ive owned 22 rifles and shotguns only so I am a little new to the ammo. I picked up to boxes of ammo for cheap at rural king to run through it to start with remington UMC lead RN (round nose?) 38 special. But I dont know if these are any good to start with or what the difference is between them and full metal jacket bullets if any? I have also heard wadcutters mentioned but dont knwo what they are? I do understand that you can get hollow points. Are all bullets for 38s or 357 lead if now is lead worse then other materials? sorry for the stupid questions
Old February 17, 2007, 05:54 PM   #2
chris in va

Have you taken a handgun safety course yet? It's a different world from long guns.
Old February 17, 2007, 06:08 PM   #3
Diggers

Hey nice .357 you bought. How long is the barrel on it?

About the .38's yep that would be a good place to start to get used to shooting your revolver. Get the cheap stuff in .38 special until you feel more comfortable with shooting. No need to worry about the recoil now. (.357 can be stout, but your gun is a nice one for that.)

Yeah bullets are lead some have a copper jacket covering the lead. Go the web site of an ammo maker and they will often have good pics of the bullets they use. Or a reloading site will show you bullet types also.

Do take a class, its real good information and the safe thing to do. Its FUN also.
Old February 17, 2007, 06:48 PM   #4
newruger

Thought about taking a class but cant finding anything nearby. Anygood places to look. The NRA class is over 2 hours away and I really wouldnt want to spend that much/
Old February 17, 2007, 06:48 PM   #5
Pointer

What they said... for target practice...

I would also like to recommend the 125 grain Semi-Jacketed Hollow Point for defense purposes in the .357 Magnum. (3" or longer barrel)

If you are shooting a short barrel (a snubby) I recommend the Gold Dot 135 grain SJHP in .38 Special... in a snubby, that's the right cartridge for the gun.

These defense rounds are expensive but you need only practice with them once or twice and then return to your wadcutters etc. for practice in earnest.

30-06 FOREVER
Old February 17, 2007, 07:20 PM   #6
newruger

4 inch barrel by the way/
Old February 17, 2007, 09:02 PM   #7
skeeter1

Cardinal rule #1

Quote:
sorry for the stupid questions
There's no such thing as a stupid question. You'll find many people here that will answer your questions as best that they can.

Now, on to your quest for ammo for your Ruger, start by looking here:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/3403855c_bec.htm

I'm partial to Winchester Silvertips and Hornady XTPs. Neither one is cheap, but I guess all ammo is going up these days. Good thing I reload.

Have a good time here on TFL.
Old February 18, 2007, 02:31 PM   #8
NCHornet

The round nose are okay for plinking but I don't like to use to many lead rounds through my guns, they build up pretty quick. I do have about 5000 HBWC that I like to shoot in my .38/.357 because they puch nice round holes in the paper. A FMJ bullet will keep your gun much cleaner, just make sure you use a solvent that will take care of copper and lead fouling. For SD purposes I carry Hydrashocks in everything I own. I have seen their performance on whitetail deer and it is impressive. To learn what all the abreviations mean, visit a website like Remington and they should have a chart. If you are any where near MT Airy,NC I would be happy to shoot with you and educate you.