The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 19, 2000, 03:44 PM   #26
Keith Rogan

Just pondering about the bear that got me and the man who died in the same spot this year - bears almost certainly don't develop "mankiller" habits like say, tigers, at least according to bear biologists. But the circumstances are a bit suspicious to say the least.

Another weird story that may indicate a mankiller happened over near Soldotna Alaska. About this time of year last winter, a team of geologists were walking along a trail when a bear approached from the rear and simply bit the head of the last guy in line - he was instantly killed of course. Investigation revealed that the bear had apparently been denned nearby, came out and followed them for several hundred yards and then silently picked off the geologist and ran away. Very weird.

Later in the year, June or July I think and just a couple miles from where this occurred, a hiker was found with the exact same M.O. - not mauled, just killed with a single bite that crushed his head and then left undisturbed. Pretty weird huh?

In both cases firearms were present. The lead guy in the party of biologists was carrying a rifle and was never even able to get a shot off. The hiker was also found with an unfired rifle.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Old January 19, 2000, 04:53 PM   #27
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

Kieth.. I'll head down to the museum to check that out. ( I happen to live within walking distance of the museum)

As I recall the bow hunter had killed an elk and was stalking its blood trail when he came across it dead and the bear on top of it. The bear charged and mauled him several times he managed to stab the bear with the arrow in a desperation move rather than get mauled for the 4th time. The bear bled out while feeding on the elk carcass. The bowhunter nearly died and several horses met thier demise getting the hunter off the mountain as the story went. I've seen it written up in several different versions.. one was the news report and one was in american rifleman I think, another in a similar outdoor publication. The bear was a sow and had given birth previously (how biologists can determine stuff like that is beyond me). Not sure how BIG that bear was but she was a mature grizzly. Big enough to put a world of hurt on that hunter.

Thanks for the info again Kieth.

(I think I may actually BUY a bear tag this year...we had an unseasonably warm elk season this year and I saw all kinds of sign.. and the lions were out in force)

Dr.Rob