The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 4, 2009, 06:23 PM   #1
colostomyclown

just fieldstripped the 590 for the first time...

Seems simple enough. My question is some of the parts, especially the elevator and the inside of the bolt have some rough edges....does anybody recommend i smoothe them out? and if so, how? i doubt itll make a ton of difference either way, but who knows?
Old March 4, 2009, 06:54 PM   #2
Carne Frio

I have had one for few years and have a couple hundred rounds
of various types shot through it. All this without any problems
and without any special work--I just clean it now and then.
I would suggest that if yours works fine, then leave it be.
It could be that an " improvement " could mess up it's function.
Old March 4, 2009, 07:10 PM   #3
ThreeStepsAhead

Quote:
It could be that an " improvement " could mess up it's function.
Agreed.

"Be polite and courteous to everyone, but always have a plan to kill them."
Old March 4, 2009, 07:31 PM   #4
colostomyclown

I respect your opinions but I'd like to know how and why my weapon works, how to disassemble, deepclean and reassemble it and where spare parts go and why they go there if need be. I am NOT dissassembling the trigger set.
Old March 4, 2009, 09:23 PM   #5
colostomyclown

Haha, so i've finally (I think) mastered assembly and disassembly positions but it's giving me trouble. When I have the gun reassembled, the trigger won't cock and the abrrel won't slide in flush...it';ll get to that "almost" point and stop. I doubt I bent anything. Any recommendations? This is an essential skill to learn, so...I need to get a handle on it one way or another
Old March 4, 2009, 09:54 PM   #6
colostomyclown

NVM. turns out i had the safety on....

flame on!
Old March 4, 2009, 10:56 PM   #7
inSight-NEO

Quote:
My question is some of the parts, especially the elevator and the inside of the bolt have some rough edges....does anybody recommend i smoothe them out? and if so, how?
Just stick to the basics, make sure you disassemble/reassemble correctly, put many rounds through it and then, if you must, have a PROFESSIONAL take it from there; and dont bother fixing what isnt broken, as the old saying goes.

Quote:
I respect your opinions but I'd like to know how and why my weapon works, how to disassemble, deepclean and reassemble it and where spare parts go and why they go there if need be. I am NOT dissassembling the trigger set.
There is a difference between knowing how and why your weapon works vs monkeying around with it via smoothing, polishing, and/or tweaking this or that.
Old March 4, 2009, 11:02 PM   #8
colostomyclown

Got it back together. seems to be smoother and in perfect working order. I only plan on stripping and cleaning every 500 rounds or so. was really very simple actually....the first time is always the worst. it's knowing how to hold things in place and line them up properly that is the hardest part but once you get it's surprising how simple it is.
Old March 4, 2009, 11:11 PM   #9
inSight-NEO

Quote:
the first time is always the worst. it's knowing how to hold things in place and line them up properly that is the hardest part but once you get it's surprising how simple it is.
I agree...The first time I completely field stripped my 590, my first thought was "my Benelli is much easier than this." However, after having gone through the process (and paying attention), the next time should be a breeze.
Old March 4, 2009, 11:44 PM   #10
Whiteboy67

After the first time, it's really easy. There really isn't that many parts that come out so it's a breeze :P I love my 590, are you over the "tossberg" aspect of it now?