The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 2, 2016, 10:13 AM   #1
flyboy015

New Remington 870, New Problem

Hello all. This is my first post on this site, and I'm glad to have registered. There is a huge wealth of information here.

About a month ago, I bought a Rem 870 express tactical with an 18.5" (bead sight) barrel from a mom and pop gunshop here in North Central Pennsylvania. It was my first shotgun, so I was careful to look over it very thoroughly. I also bought a few 5-round boxes of Remington brand 00 Buck and Remington sluggers, 2.75 inch, I believe they were 1-oz slugs.

Skip to a few hours later, I inspect the action, pull the barrel and check that too. Everything is clean. A thin coat of oil or grease in the action and bolt, no gobs or dust or lead. Looks good. Go to my buddy's farm, and we start off shooting some slugs. I put all five in the tube, and took some relaxed, slow shots at a few water jugs we had set up. What a blast. The butt pad needs upgraded. I rack the action back open to insert a new shell and see a small hairline crack at the tip of the barrel. I inspect it closely and there's another. I'm very certain that these cracks were not present and/or apparent at the gunshop. All I can imagine is that they may have been much smaller cracks, and were opened up a little by the sluggers.

I've searched many forums and websites in the past month, while trying to send the gun back to Remington for repair. UPS has been a hassel, the driver never comes in the same 3 hours of any given day, and I can't afford to take off work. I have found nothing on cracked barrels, on any shotgun model. I've seen some nasty split barrels, but nothing as small and unsuspecting as this.

Anyone have experience with this? Or with Remington repair? I finally was able to meet up with the driver and send it off yesterday afternoon. I'm fairly confident that Remington will give me a new barrel, but I found the incident very odd. I work as a mechanic at a plant that manufactures light aircraft engines, and I've seen material issues before with embrittlement or fatigue. That's the only explanation I can think of. I have heard many quality issues have come to light recently with Rem 870s, I imagine I simply got a weak barrel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160508_142933_crop_597x597.jpg (220.4 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-06-02 11.16.54-600x1070.jpg (108.5 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg 20160508_142735-600x1067.jpg (78.7 KB, 150 views)

Last edited by flyboy015; June 2, 2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old June 2, 2016, 11:54 AM   #2
FITASC

Have you called Remington?
IUsing USPS is an easier option than UPS.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 2, 2016, 11:58 AM   #3
Chaz88

Could your barrel have been choked too tight for the slugs you were using?

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old June 2, 2016, 12:01 PM   #4
Virginian

Hard to say exactly what caused it, but that is nothing other than a defective barrel. I have not seen anything like that on any new shotgun from any manufacturer in over 60 years. Pretty sure Remington will send you a new barrel.
In the future, take the barrel or whatever part you need to send off to work with you and just have the driver pick it up there when they do their regular pick up. I had to get them to deliver some liquor I ordered to work because they had to have an adult signature and I lived way out in the country.
Old June 2, 2016, 12:02 PM   #5
Virginian

A lead slug should go through ANY standard choke with no issues. Might not be the most accurate combo, but shouldn't hurt a thing.
Old June 2, 2016, 01:06 PM   #6
flyboy015

I did call several times, and none of the tech reps would work with me as far as sending in just the barrel, even after I explained what had happened. And forgot to mention, fixed cylinder choke, so you know, really no choke. But the slugger box did say best results through IC chokes.
Old June 2, 2016, 01:38 PM   #7
Slopemeno

That's a first..but in manufacturing things happen. I'd ask Remington for a return tag (on their dime) and have the barrel replaced.
Old June 8, 2016, 07:17 PM   #8
Arizona Fusilier

Disappointing to hear, I have an 870 Express (like so many others here) and no hint of a problem. Never heard anything like your experience either. Hopefully Remington's quality control hasn't dropped off that much.

But what irks me is the "send the whole gun back" drill. I think they wanted you to put too much "skin in the game" hassle-wise that you would just be back off and buy a new barrel on your own.

If that were true, not sure I'd be buying any more Remingtons.
Old June 8, 2016, 07:21 PM   #9
FITASC

More like they didn't want to put in the QC costs up front.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 8, 2016, 07:43 PM   #10
Pahoo

Stop shooting till the problem is resolved

I don't know if the following information can of any help but a number of years ago, Remington had a settlement or compensation on some of their barrels. As best I can recall, I submitted four serial numbers and they reimbursed me on two. I can tell that you have an older Express and it's possible yours in one of these defectives. Either way, I think you have a valid claim. I've seen shotgun barrels split from the bore end and it isn't pretty. Suggest you don't shoot it till the problem is resolved. You don't want to have it wrapped around your head.

Be Safe !!!
Old June 9, 2016, 05:26 PM   #11
Virginian

That whole barrel thing was a scheme cooked up by some lawyers to make money; and they did. It alleged that the rollmarking combined with the "weak" barrel steel caused problems as I recall. Remington lightened and moved the rollmarking and changed the barrel steel and all further results of the settlement were sealed. With the tort laws in this country it can be cheaper and/or safer to settle, even if you are not guilty of any wrongdoing whatsoever. Believe it, I was there.
I have never seen a barrel from the supposed suspect batch suffer any problems, and I think I still have a couple. There was never any recall. It is entirely possible to change steels to one that is "stronger", but has absolutely zero practical effect.

Last edited by Virginian; June 9, 2016 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old June 10, 2016, 09:15 PM   #12
Dfariswheel

The barrel shown appears to be one of the new 870 defense models that uses a model-specific barrel that has the longer magazine tube and the barrel support ring farther down the barrel.

So, it can't be one of the so-called "defective" barrels some sleazy lawyers held Remington up for years ago.

Bottom line, when you make millions of anything once in a while you'll get some strange outlier defect that no one has seen before.

As above, just contact Remington and ask them to send you a shipping label or issue a pick up order.
Send the gun back and Remington will make it right.

Bottom line, this is just one of those weird Twilight Zone things that happen now and then to any gun company or any product for that matter.
Old June 11, 2016, 07:38 AM   #13
g.willikers

It's understandable why Remington would want the entire gun sent in.
To make sure when they repair one with a serious flaw, there's no other issues.
Old June 13, 2016, 11:18 AM   #14
flyboy015

Thanks to all who contributed! As I had anticipated, Remington slapped a new barrel on the gun and sent it back to me fairly quickly. The barrel is coated in oil, dust and some gritty looking material, and will need a thorough cleaning. Just happy to have a working (read: safe) shotgun again! Now time to slap the supercell recoil pad on, as well as receiver shell carrier, fiber optic front sight and paracord sling! Flashlight w/ pressure switch in the mail.

If I want to be a critic...Remington (or Gun works) could have sent a new Styrofoam packing insert in the box it went out / came back in; the Styrofoam partially disintegrated and little tiny white balls found their way into every crevice of the action.

At any rate, happy and thankful it was a quick fix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-06-13 12.11.03-600x1067.jpg (95.0 KB, 75 views)