The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 3, 2005, 09:42 PM   #1
MeekAndMild

Why not a fishing forum?

To keep this thread gun related let me start by saying that my favorite fishing gun is an old Ruger Mark II.

Having said that I am wondering what it would take to get the powers that be to consider opening up a fishing forum here? Except for sitting quietly waiting on a frosty morning for the big buck to pass by there is nothing in the outdoors quite as wonderful as fly casting with crickets for bream at dawn in May.
Old May 3, 2005, 09:50 PM   #2
kjm

Yeah M&M, I spent all last summer on the Big Hole River in Montana trying to catch trout with my trusty .22 by my side waiting for targets of opportunity. I didn't catch anything on a fly, but did catch some incredible browns on spinning tackle while I figured out many rocks I could bust on the other side with my .40.

I came back to Texas and tried to catch a bass that was rising to bugs and caught a 3 pounder on a fly rod- Good lord- that was incredible and I'm now hooked. I usually mix shooting and fishing anyway. I sit on the pier and shoot lillies and weeds on the other side. I could spend hours like that. When the fish don't bite, I shoot, when the fish start biting, I fish.

There just aren't any fishing forums that are this high of quality. Rich would never do a fishing forum I'm pretty sure (at least not at TFL), so the hunting and fishing forums would have to be made elsewhere.
JMO.

What say you Rich?

(I just reread my post and realize that speaking of guns makes me smarter and writing of fishing makes me forget all grammar all together)
Old May 3, 2005, 10:00 PM   #3
jefnvk

If I had to guess, it is because this is a gun board, not an outdoors activities board. Hunting can be tied into guns, fishing can't.

EDIT: I take that back, I don't see a hunting board.
Old May 3, 2005, 10:11 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

Come on MeekAndMild, you've been around long enough to know we aren't going to fall for the tired old "To keep this thread gun related ..." bit.

jefnvk got it right - this is a firearms board. Fishing isn't firearms related. You might carry a firearm while fishing and there have been several threads on that topic, but a fishing forum? Not gonna happen.

(Oh, and jefnvk - "I take that back, I don't see a hunting board." You've got to look a little closer at the forum group called "The Hide". )
Closed Thread