The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 6, 2007, 01:57 PM   #1
bcrash15

New pistol, shoot or lube first?

I'm going to pick up a new pistol in the next couple days. Are there any problems with shooting it immediately out of the box? When I buy a gun I normally like to try to break it down and make sure it is clean/lubed properly, but is it necessarily to be that obsessive with it? Thanks! I've very excited about it
Old September 6, 2007, 02:04 PM   #2
Whirlwind06

I believe it is in your best interest to clean and lube it first.
Old September 6, 2007, 02:07 PM   #3
MyXD40

I always break mine down, but noticed they are always clean, and lubed. Actually my first XD I bought I just took it out the box, and shot it within 10 minutes of buying it. Shot two hundred rounds through it. To this day, thousands and thousands and thoudands of rounds through it, no issues. (cleaned it of course when it does need a cleaning)
Old September 6, 2007, 02:08 PM   #4
18DAI

I clean, lube, and examine both new, and new to me pistols, before firing them. I examine them closer, looking for wear, or damage, in case I missed anything in the shop, due to new toy syndrome. Regards 18DAI.
Old September 6, 2007, 02:12 PM   #5
FNtastic!

Well... Just as yourself what you would want if someone came up and said that to you xD
Old September 6, 2007, 02:52 PM   #6
Manedwolf

Clean and lube.

Factory preservatant lube is not the same as operational lubricant in a lot of guns.

Plus there may be metal shavings from manufacture. Clean it up.
Old September 6, 2007, 02:58 PM   #7
JAYBIRD78

clean and lube first..........

I always break down the pistol and clean and re lubricate. However, I think on 90% of the new guns that I have purchased I could have just shot and got away with it. The one gun I definitely had to clean first was my new CZ P-01, it was covered it oil and wrapped in plastic from the factory. This always gives you a chance to look over the instruction manual for any odds and ends.
Old September 6, 2007, 03:05 PM   #8
sholling

I clean and lube first. Thankfully the closest range has a cleaning table and supplies right there. The main thing is to at the very least run a brush through the bore to make sure it's clean and obstruction free. I also like to make sure the action feels like it's smoothly locking up before pulling the trigger the first time.
Old September 6, 2007, 03:25 PM   #9
ZeSpectre

My rule of thumb...
New guns are lubed for shipping NOT shooting.

I'm also fussy enough to want a complete takedown and inspection before I ever run the first round through the gun. I also offer the same service to my friends who aren't comfortable with detail stripping their guns.

It's amazing how many things I've found (from metal shavings and grit all the way to mis-machined parts) that were best taken care of before you start to run the gun.
Old September 6, 2007, 04:00 PM   #10
Ranger325

Clean, inspect, lube................... shoot.
Repeat -

Regards,
Old September 6, 2007, 04:03 PM   #11
PPGMD

I inspect, but I rarely lube, because most pistols are overlubed for shipping. I do cycle the slide a couple of times listening for any problems.
Old September 6, 2007, 04:31 PM   #12
MichaelScott

Is it a Glock? If so then just shoot it. It'll be okay.

Not a Glock? Return it. Buy a Glock. Then go shoot it. It'll be okay.
Old September 6, 2007, 04:40 PM   #13
Mark P.

Heh, Glock fanatics are always funny until their beloved ONLY pistol has a malfunction, then they are hilarious.
Old September 6, 2007, 04:57 PM   #14
Hallucinator

I'd clean and lube it. New guns are sometimes really tight, and some slide grease is a good idea, otherwise you may get wear marks the first time you shoot it. The only time I've had a gun jam on me was when it was brand new, and it was because I didn't clean and lube (Sig 239).

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.
Old September 6, 2007, 05:29 PM   #15
Average Joe

Take it home, take it apart, and clean & lube before shooting the first time.
Old September 6, 2007, 06:52 PM   #16
BigJimP

Wilson Combat ships their guns with a recommendation to shoot a couple hundred rounds thru it before you clean and lube it ........but I can't do it.

I always clean and lube a new gun before I take it to the range ......and I think it's important. But I also thoroughly clean and lube my guns every time I come home from the range.......nothing else makes any sense to me.
Old September 6, 2007, 10:07 PM   #17
bcrash15

Thanks everyone, popular consensus seems to be to make sure it's done right, so that is how I'll treat it. I'm also glad to hear I haven't been wasting my time when I did this previously. The only gun I haven't done this was a revolver. I didn't think there were too many parts I could screw up shooting it without cleaning (although if I were to do it over I would at least have done the barrel and chambers.)
Old September 6, 2007, 10:53 PM   #18
Ocraknife

I always shoot first then clean. I have never had a problem. Your milage may vary.

-Jimro
Old September 6, 2007, 11:13 PM   #19
ActivShootr

When all else fails...RTFM!!!!!
Old September 6, 2007, 11:20 PM   #20
DGindlesperger

Clean and lube....them shoot the heck out of it, if it' a auto 500 rounds before the next cleaning.
Old September 6, 2007, 11:49 PM   #21
JohnKSa
Staff

I generally read the manual through at least once, field strip the gun and examine it carefully before going to the range the first time.
Old September 7, 2007, 03:40 AM   #22
CajunBass

I've never bothered to and never had a problem.

(Mil-Surps excepted. I take a couple of days to clean the goop out of those things.)
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old September 7, 2007, 03:50 AM   #23
Manedwolf

Quote:
I'm also glad to hear I haven't been wasting my time when I did this previously.
Precaution of any sort when working with a gun is never wasted time.
Old September 7, 2007, 06:51 AM   #24
TheNatureBoy

Its probably a good idea to check it out before firing. Like many others, I've taken a burner to the range with out checking it and haven't had any problems. Sure wouldn't hurt anything.
Old September 7, 2007, 07:03 AM   #25
Don Lu

I would suggest reading the manual..For GLOCKS it actually reads
Quote:
"Note that the copper colored lubricant found on portions of the slide of brand new GLOCK pistols should not be removed, as it will help to provide long term lubrication of the slide"