The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 7, 2007, 05:04 PM   #1
briang2ad

Steyr MA1 vs. P99

Please tell me which one is best? Just performance, accuracy, trigger, grip, etc. I know there will be more accessories for the P99 for now, but just want to know. Also, I have heard that the Steyr was built WITH the 40 SW in mind - true? What about case head support in each weapon? Thanks.
Old September 7, 2007, 06:00 PM   #2
briang2ad

and...

What about customer support?
Old September 7, 2007, 07:39 PM   #3
Ranger61

They are both nice guns but after shooting both I went with the Steyr M40-A1 and have been very pleased. The P99 has the changeable rear strap but once I felt the Steyr I just loved the feel. My concern with the Steyr was the funny sights but I decided I'd buy the gun and give them a try and if I didn't like them I could always replace them with normal sights. The first time at the range I thought they were quick to get on target but had trouble getting the kind of accuracy I was used to. My problem was that I was changing my mind about how to line the triangle front sight into the trapzoid rear. The second time out with it I shot a group of 10 rounds using the sight differently for each group so I could figure what would work for me. The groups were excellent and I found that with a little practice I could change my point of impact with different aimpoints with the front sight. For example: I found I could hit the center of the bullseye with a 6 o'clock hold if I held the point of the front triangle sight even with the top line of the gap between the trapizoid rear. I could change my point of impact to right where the front sight was by centering the front triangle in the area within the trapizoid rear sight. Now that I have the sights figured I really love the gun and I have bought 5 different Steyrs. M9, M40, S40, M357 and the M40-A1. As for service none of mine has required any so I can't really say what the service is like. I would just say there is a reason why the Steyr has an almost cult like following. Its a really good gun!
Old September 7, 2007, 07:58 PM   #4
briang2ad

Ranger61

Thanks much. How about accuracy - compared to other 'steel autos'? What is muzzle flip difference between 40 vs. 9? I handled one in the store the other day, and I actually think I could like the sights for fast TA. I'd love to feel/shoot both side by side. the P99 I saw today had a really slim grip. I also think they are the two nicest looking tupperware guns around.
Old September 8, 2007, 08:15 PM   #5
10-96

Several times I've come close to getting the MA1, but I always get stopped when I do my little fit test thing. What I do is grip the firearm strong handed after making sure it's clear. Then, I select a doorknob size object no less than 20' away and square up to it. Stare at the object for a few seconds, then close your eyes, and then raise the pistol up to where you think it ought to be pointing to the object. When I open my peepers, the pistol usually isn't pointing directly at the object, but if I can't line up the sights without moving the pistol up or down- then the pistol don't come home with me. Usually, most pistols I try and pass up because of the failed test- is because the pistol points downward. For me, the Steyr pointed way down because of the rake of the grip. The S&W99 I carried for Bent Co S.O. was a good'n. I was way skeptical, but it survived an instructors course without nary a hitch.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 8, 2007, 09:04 PM   #6
Ranger61

Its true the grip is angled more on the Steyrs than on most other guns. Thats why it points good for me but might not for others. As for accuracy the M9 has shot some excellent groups with handload ammo that it likes. I haven't gotten as good groups with the 40s but it could be that the one I shoot the most is the S40, with the short sight radius is a little tougher. The 40s do recoil a little more I suppose, but I'm not recoil sensitive so they seem about the same to me. Its funny you should say steel frame guns because the Steyrs have a steel frame with polymer molded around it. Thats why (unlike the glocks) the frames are not squishy but solid feeling and if you look at the slide to frame fit is tighter than other tupperware guns.
Old September 8, 2007, 09:49 PM   #7
ShipWreck

I've never fired a Steyr - but everyone I know who has gotten a P99 A/S loves it (realize, there are 3 different trigger styles).

To me, the P99 A/S is the best handgun I've ever owned. I shoot it as well or better than 1911s. In fact, I've given up on 1911s after buying the P99.
Old September 9, 2007, 03:43 AM   #8
LUPUS

I did not own a Steyr, but had a chance to shoot one of the newer versions which was offered to give a try by a polite owner at the range. I liked the trigger feel of it, but the sights were really extraordinary to get used to in a limited time frame. So, I can not give realistic comments on shooting charecteristics. But the overall quality of the pistol was top nocth. It had a cleanly molded frame and crafted/finished metal parts. But it is a little bit blocky.
I used to own a P99 for a long time. If you ask me which one I would pick up, I can definetely say the P99 AS. IMHO it is the best polymer framed pistol on the market and severely underrated. Despite being a striker fired pistol,it has a TDA trigger, a full size 4'' barrel with 16 rounds ready for it and a longer sight radius than any pistol of it's size, in a very slim package.
Regards.
Old September 9, 2007, 02:36 PM   #9
chunk

i have a steyr m 40-a1 ,it shoots better than my hi power,cz 75,sa 1911& makarov. i would have to say it's my favorite auto pistol !!
Old September 9, 2007, 03:06 PM   #10
IM_Lugger

I owned Steyr M9-A1 and also shot P99 in 9mm... Didn’t like the Steyr that much so sold it and bought M&P no regrets!

As for M9A1 vs. P99 9mm;

I think Walther has better ergonomics. (What I didn’t like about Steyr is that for a gun that sits very low in your hand trigger location is a bit off-- index finger is forced down.) but Steyr has less muzzle flip...
Steyr has excellent chamber support (better than P99 in .40!)
but I found the Steyr's trigger to be inconsistend and gritty (much preffer M&Ps trigger)
Old September 9, 2007, 03:28 PM   #11
Axion

I've never shot a Styer but I own a P99 which I like very much. Are you looking at 9mm or .40. IMO the P99 in 9mm is great shooter but a bit snappy. I'd say the recoil of a 9mm P99 is about equal to my Sig P229 in .40 for reference. Point being, I would buy, nor recommend, a P99 in .40 but in 9mm it's great.
Old September 9, 2007, 04:15 PM   #12
briang2ad

Thanks gents...

I may likely keep listening and take all this in. Seems they are both good choices, but there are many in the tupperware field.