The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 12, 2002, 11:26 PM   #1
Eric Larsen

"Gun Sale" AKA "Bend Over"

Im on a sales run to central UT yesterday. I have a call get resch. so I have a minute or two to kill. I am in a small (large for the area) town, you all know them "you could drag main st. with a good tractor and a tow chain". Anyway, Im looking for a gun store and come across this very large banner "GUN SALE"..pay dirt. I go in and start looking around. SALE?
A Taurus PT22 marked down to 250$ A nice but slightly used FEG HP clone for 399$ Cough, gasp! I ask the proprieter
where are the guns on sale? Anything with an orange tag/sticker.
The 2 guns mentioned were on sale...BA HA HA! I look some more grinning in what was mostly disbelief and shock....A NIB PT 945 Taurus that is not on sale for 499$ A NIB Kahr K40 Covert for 569$........Im almost about to laugh my self right outa the store and I see a NIB 415 Snubbie for 279$ WHAT? Thats a good .....er, great price on that gun! Im thinking is it a real gun?
Or carved out of cheese and painted silver? HMMMMM?
One good deal and alot of laughter was what could be had at this "Gun Sale"...Im still in shock. Thought you would get a kick outa what some people will sell/buy guns for. Shoot well

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush
Old June 13, 2002, 07:45 AM   #2
KSFreeman

If you don't want it, you don't have to buy it. The market will decide. You can always buy your guns at K-Mart from Rosie O!

The free market rocks! "Fairness" is a boot in your face.
Old June 13, 2002, 08:10 AM   #3
Eric Larsen

KS, I agree. Anyone can buy from anyone they want. For every seller there is a buyer somewhere. This example just goes to show, some places are more fair than others. Ill pass on Rosie, but thanks anyway.
Shoot well

Old June 13, 2002, 12:14 PM   #4
DMK

Welcome to small town USA. The best part isn't just the prices, but their hours.

I take off early from work to stop by the gunshop and browse a bit. 3PM, closed. I can't blame him, I took off early too. A couple weeks later I was driving by in the morning so I pull in the parking lot. 9AM, closed. Stop by Saturday, closed - gone fishing.

Don't get me wrong it's a free country and his business. But it seems to me the guy doesn't want business. The last time I was there the guy was compaining about folks buying ammo off the 'net. Gee, ever wonder why?
Old June 13, 2002, 03:04 PM   #5
prisoner6

DMK, where in NC was this? Just curious, sounds familiar.
Old June 13, 2002, 04:57 PM   #6
isaidme

You think thats bad,check this out!Here in Waco Tx there is this new gun shop "more like a hole in the wall"but anyways I went in to check on a Delta Elite they ran in the paper,the barrel was rusted,there was rust in the mag well area,the finish was beat to hell,the slide on the frame rocked side to side!!!They wanted $950.00
Old June 13, 2002, 09:19 PM   #7
DMK

prisoner6, really it could be anywhere in NC considering that the state is largely rural. However, in my case it's western NC up in the mountains.

Where's your cell?
Old June 14, 2002, 09:44 AM   #8
Radicalcleric

Eric- This wasn't in Price, was it? On the way into town one of the two pawn shops has a huge banner on the wall saying "Gun Sale." That sign was up when I moved there in 1996 and was still up when I left in last year.
Old June 14, 2002, 11:57 PM   #9
Eric Larsen

Why, how did you guess? Yep, its the same store. I was quite amused....in case you couldnt tell already. Shoot well

Old June 15, 2002, 08:04 AM   #10
stans

Some gun shops just seem to be "out to lunch" when it comes to selling at fair prices. I was in a shop yesterday and looked at some M1 Garands and M1 carbines. They wanted $500 for an investment cast receiver Garand and $700 to $900 for real Garands that were re-imported, nothing matching and dinged up, mostly replacement stocks. They also wanted $500 to $600 for re-imported carbines, the cheaper ones having rusty bores and beat up wood! The bad thing is, someone who doesn't know better will buy these overpriced guns. When it comes to guns, buyer beware!
Old June 15, 2002, 09:26 AM   #11
Dwight M S

I guess there are those who aren't even resourceful enough to check the regular prices, and believe those "Sale" signs. Pity.

Dwight M S