The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 19, 2009, 09:15 PM   #1
m&p45acp10+1

Heritige Rough Rider .22lr?

I was looking for ammo at an Acadamy today and saw one for $159. Looks like it would make a good plinker for the price with ammo not costing too much. My budget has come to the beans or taters budget. Meaning I am going to have to scrape up to get the cash to buy one.
Any one here have any experience with them?
Old July 19, 2009, 09:24 PM   #2
govtcasualty

I have one that i picked up for plinking. With a lil bit of practice I got really good with it. I carry it while in the woods now to shoot rabbits with. Good lil gun for the money. Have fired about 2,000 rounds through mine with no problems at all.
Old July 19, 2009, 09:36 PM   #3
MakarovFan

I got one last month and has been good for plinking at the range like you said with the cost of ammo.
I also wanted it for when working around the gun range. I keep some shot shells along with hollow points in the cylinder also in case of unwanted critters.
I got the combo rough rider that also came with the 22 mag cylinder new for $139.00 on sale.
If funds are available go for it.
Old July 20, 2009, 08:46 AM   #4
absolute0

While I don't own one, I've heard far more good than bad about these inexpensive little sixguns. If you can swing another $100 or so you should be able to find a used Ruger Single Six, but for a guy on a tight budget the Heritage guns seem to offer a lot of value.
Old July 20, 2009, 08:58 AM   #5
Superhouse 15

I won one in a raffle years ago, so I felt free to shoot it a lot. It was a convertable LR and magnum, and I probably couldn't find the LR cylinder. I mostly shot it with magnums. Other than the crappy unnecessary safety lever it's a good plinker, camp, or trail gun and worth the $1 I paid for it.
Old July 21, 2009, 09:17 PM   #6
22-rimfire

You hear more good than bad about them in terms of shooting them. If you buy one, you just have to understand it is not a Ruger Single Six nor will it last as long as the Ruger. But for the money, I can't put them down. Generally speaking I hold to the save up some more money philosophy on 22 revolver and buy one that you will be happy with for the rest of your life.