The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 21, 2009, 02:07 PM   #1
pistolpete308

Does Taurus offer custom barrel lengths?

I've been looking at getting a revolver for use as a general purpose "Kit Gun". Taurus's 617 and 817 revolvers both hold a generous 7 shots, and I think they'd be awesome with 3" barrels. I think the 3" barrel is the perfect compromise between the too heavy 4" barrels and the too short 2" barrels, but I'm wondering if I can get a 617 with the 3" barrel.

The current catalogue states that the 605 has a 3" barrel option, so they do make them, but the 605 has the *short* boot grips, and only carries 5 shots. It seems odd that this concealment peice has a 3" option but the bigger 617 is only listed with a 2" option.

To my way of thinking, if you're going to go with a full length grip (the 617 is a snubbie with a full grip), you might as well have a little extra barrel length, especially since this is a .357, and the extra accuracy and velocity would be noticable.

This seems like it would be a perfect platform for a do-everything pistol. It's lightweight and compact enough to be concealed, but big enough to be controllable, and ammo can range from light .38s to full power .357s.

So does anybody know if this is doable?
Old July 21, 2009, 02:15 PM   #2
Doodlebugger45

Taurus doesn't have a great customer service reputation. Of course, they COULD do it, but I wouldn't expect very speedy service if they even FEEL like doing it to begin with.

I agree though that a 3" barrel is a very nice compromise. I have a 3" barrel on my S&W model 60 and it's a very versatile length.

It might be easier and cheaper to buy the 4" barrel and have a gunsmith cut it down to 3" for you.
Old July 21, 2009, 05:08 PM   #3
pistolpete308

Quote:
Taurus doesn't have a great customer service reputation. Of course, they COULD do it, but I wouldn't expect very speedy service if they even FEEL like doing it to begin with.
Actually, I'm not trying to have an existing gun modified, I'm trying to find out if I can get one ordered from the factory with a 3" barrel.

I'd prefer pay a little extra and get it the way I want from the factory, rather than have to pay a gunsmith to work it over. Honestly, if I can't get it from the factory with a 3" barrel I'll probably get the 605 (5-shots) with a 3" barrel and put oversized grips on it.

Ideally, Taurus would figure out that the 617 is a natural place for a 3" barrel. The combination of traits is really just about perfect for a jack-of-all-trades pistol, and this could be marketed with a snazzy name (look at all the success they're had with the mediocre "Judge" pistols. How much better to have a pistol that actually performs well with a good marketing campaign behind it?).