The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 30, 2005, 04:52 PM   #1
69nogo

Newby question

Hello all. I am new to handguns and am on a search for a my first semi-auto and am considering a factory refurbished Taurus pt908 9mm, stainless steel, one mag, all for $300 plus tax from a local gun shop.
the other is a used like new EAA Witness .45 ACP in the nickel/lustre finish. It has a ported barrel, and comes with 2 10-round mags. shot less than 2 boxes of ammo through it, also comes with 100 rounds of plinking ammo, and 50 rounds of good hollow point ammo and no taxes direct from a local, for $325.

Which would be best for a starter looking for something to shoot with, and use for home defense?

Will also post in the revolver forum, looking for a revolver for the wife for home defese.

Thanks as always
Old May 30, 2005, 05:09 PM   #2
rdebert

Brand new Ruger P series. (Same price or very close)
Old May 30, 2005, 05:27 PM   #3
Bullrock

I not much of a believer in rookies starting with a .22's. Start with any calibre you can handle.

I'm also not much of a believer in refurbished anything especially an old Taurus, so if those are your only options, go for the EEA .45, if you can handle it. Heck, you can buy a NEW Taurus Millenium Pro 9SS for around $335.00, or a Ruger P95 for around $350.00. New is usually better!!!

Some folks will tell you 9mm ammo is cheaper, so you should go with the 9mm. That's not much of an option considering the Taurus is refurbished, and is costing $25 less than an almost new Witness.

So you're going to be paying a couple of bucks more a box for ammo, but you have twice the gun, for almost the same price, and it will probably go bang everytime you pull the trigger.

Also, I wouldn't recommend buying a Taurus auto anything unless it is the Millenium Pro series.

Having said all that...Because I'm old, and like to listen to myself talk, buy the Witness... or reconsider, and check out a new 9MM...
Old May 30, 2005, 07:32 PM   #4
xnavy

Rugers are very reliable and like the other posters have said you can get a new for the price of the used ones. You can get great deals at a gun show. I just purchased my Baby Eagle .45 for 399. I also looked at a Ruger P345 for 349. Ruger 9mm should be in the 250 range I think. I went with the .45 only because I already have a 9mm. My ruger P89 9mm has yet to jam and I have fed it just about everything, no extraction problems either. It is a very accurate gun and one I would recommend without hesitation. I have also owned a Taurus 9mm which could get tempermental depending on ammo. With the ruger I have fired just about everything including the aluminun cased CCI cartridges with absoutely no problems. Ruger has made me a customer for life and I am hoping that the Baby Eagle is just as good as my Ruger.
Old May 30, 2005, 07:59 PM   #5
chris in va

I'll second the .22 thought. Ammo is insanely cheap, they're fun and definitely teach you proper gun handling skills and trigger technique. I shot probably 5-6 bricks through my Ruger when I first got it, then decided it was time for more training and a CC license.

.45 and 9mm is great and all, but sure gets $$$ when you've got the firearms itch and want to blow through 500 rounds each session.
Old May 30, 2005, 10:05 PM   #6
Majic

A factory refurb will be basically a new gun with finish wear. The factory has rebuilt it back to specs and they are good buys. Many people bad mouth a Taurus, but also there are many happy Taurus owners. I have owned several (revolvers and pistols) and never had any problem with them. The PT-92/100 series will run head to head with their competetors.
As a new shooter I would avoid the Witness right now. First the .45acp will not be real cheap to shoot (and you will need to shoot a lot to learn) and the recoil, while not significant, is something you will have to deal with. Also the pistol is ported. Learning to shoot while having gas and soot blowing out the top of the barrel will not make it easy for you.
If fact it will be best for you to get a .22lr handgun so both you and your wife can learn the basics of shooting. The ammo is cheap, it has very little recoil, and both of you will become better shooters much faster compared to learning on a centerfire.
Old May 31, 2005, 10:29 AM   #7
Bullrock

You will be throwing your money away on any .22 you purchase, because several weeks after, you will want something heavier.

I like Taurus, just don't buy the one you posted on. It's not a good deal.

I know allot of folks who purchase $50,000 automobiles, and then sweat over the cost of the insurance...If you can't afford to buy .45ACP ammo, by all means, don't buy a .45ACP handgun...

Now, does that make sense??? Who knows...

Tautus PT-92
Taurus 85 Ultra Lite
Taurus Millenium Pro 9mmSS
Taurus Tracker 627
There may be another one around here somewhere. Keep posting, I'll keep looking...
Old May 31, 2005, 11:38 AM   #8
Eric Larsen

Well both have pros and con.....the Taurus is a great little carry gun, single stack 9mm much the size of a Sig 239/S&W 3913. I think yould like the gun for a long time and shoot it well. The frame is alloy.
The 45 is another good gun, but ammo costs may get in the way of shooting as much as the 9mm. Its probably an all around better defense gun than the little Taurus but its a bigger heavier gun too.
They are both worth consideration.............Shoot well.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush
Old May 31, 2005, 11:46 AM   #9
Majic

Quote:
You will be throwing your money away on any .22 you purchase, because several weeks after, you will want something heavier.
It's a shame that so many shooters today don't reconize the number one firearm training tool for both the new and the old experienced shooter. Generally in time they do see the values of a .22.
Those several weeks if spent correctly will make you a much better shooter when you move up the caliber scale.
Old May 31, 2005, 12:20 PM   #10
Bullrock

Quote:
It's a shame that so many shooters today don't reconize the number one firearm training tool for both the new and the old experienced shooter. Generally in time they do see the values of a .22.
Sorry to disagree. The value in a gun depends upon who owns it. Shot a few, very boring, never owned one. My first rifle at age 12 was a .32/.40. My first handgun at age 16 was a .45 Colt...

I would expect 69nogo has already considered a .22 since he's talking 9mm and .45 APC
Old May 31, 2005, 10:39 PM   #11
packa45

Thanks to those who defend the Taurus. I too was skeptical of their autos until I got my 24/7 in .45. I love it. You can't beat their warranty and I was surprised to get sub 2" groups @ 25 yards with mine. I personally wouldn't get anything smaller than a .40 but if you plan on buying a plinker and not a home defense gun than a 9mm can be a lot of fun.
Old May 31, 2005, 11:02 PM   #12
jonathon

First centerfire handgun I ever fired was a .44 mag, and I knew I had to get one

Though, a .22 is a great tool... and if you are serrious about shooting, you need one. Its good for showing friends how to shoot, good for easing tension after shooting those 340gr bullets at 1400fps(OUCH), and just plain fun to burn through a brick without realizing you emptied contents of your wallet at the local shop.

Oh yeah, I have to say, one of the guns I enjoy most is my Golden Boy I like it so much, I'm going to get a Big Boy.. in .44 mag
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!
Old June 1, 2005, 12:06 AM   #13
Bert223

I would also go ruger instead of taurus. I dont know much about taurus, their guns might be fine but I know that ruger guns are tough and reliable
Old June 1, 2005, 12:18 AM   #14
crysour

Taurus has very good customer service and warranties, EAA, on the other hand, can be much more tempermental. Just a thought.