The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old March 27, 2008, 03:42 PM   #1
#1dad

Suffolk County NY Civil Relief of Disabilities

I am a prior Miami FL. resident and a Gun enthusiast, I worked at the local gun store. Loved every minute of it! Anyway, I moved here about 13 years ago, and got caught up in a white collar mess about 2 years later. It was a year and a half span of my life. Pleaded guilty to (attempted enterprise corruption) A Non-Violent e-felony. I was NEVER in any trouble before that! NEVER in any trouble since! (10 years) I am happily married and have three daughters 7,4 and 2 years old. Now that your caught up, I never new that with a civil relief of disabilities A,B or C not sure? I could possibly get a NY pistol license! I never stopped loving the sport of shooting and would like to start again. Has anyone been through a similar experience? Can anyone help me with detailed advice from what to put on the application for civil relief, to an attorney's name and phone # if needed. Anything would be appreciated. Thank you all in advance!
Old March 27, 2008, 04:18 PM   #2
Musketeer

Try John Cushman at www.NYSAFE.org

He is on Long Island and heads a gun rights organization there.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old March 27, 2008, 05:07 PM   #3
Johnc

Welcome to TFL

This link has some info that may help.

http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/police/ACF2C.PDF

Also, I would not hesitate to call Pistol Licensing 631 852 6311

Good luck
Old March 27, 2008, 09:30 PM   #4
357 Python

Let me see if I follow this; you plead guilty to a non-violent FELONY correct. If this is true I believe that by federal law you are prohibited from owning a gun unless I am missing something here and I may be. Either way you need an attorney to take care of this.
Old March 27, 2008, 09:48 PM   #5
B. Lahey

I just read through the "Certificate of Relief from Disabilities" chunk at the bottom of the page on Johnc's link and it looks like it could be worth a shot. I think they had situations exactly like yours in mind when they wrote it (generally upstanding citizen, one relatively minor non-violent felony on his record, no other problems, etc...).

It is a long way from a sure thing, but having a lawyer look into it for you couldn't hurt.

Last edited by B. Lahey; March 27, 2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old March 27, 2008, 09:55 PM   #6
#1dad

Found this, read last paragraph. More input!

civil7.pdf
Old March 27, 2008, 10:40 PM   #7
B. Lahey

That's exactly the part I was talking about.

Not a sure thing, but it can't hurt to have a lawyer dig into it for you. I'm sure there are a load of procedural hoops to bounce through...
Old March 28, 2008, 10:50 AM   #8
Johnc

I think calling an attorney as Musketeer had suggested is a good idea if you have to argue any details. However, it is free to call and ask pistol licensing the same questions. Generally speaking, I have found them to be informative.